Topic: Be Careful with Cymbal Stackers  (Read 3107 times)

heavyhitter

Be Careful with Cymbal Stackers
« on: March 10, 2008, 04:43 PM »
hey everyone, be cautious when mounting a cymbal stacker on your threads of your stands and tightening the small lug screw on them , they can easily crush your threads if you want to put your wingnut back on, i have top of the line pearl stands , luckily i have a tap and die set to regroove and true the threads without taking it to a smaller size, i dont know how to avoid this from happening and i dont have room for separate splash arms, and im not overtightening them, only to where the stacker wont swivel on me during a show, any ideas?

Offline Ryan

• Cafe VIP
Re: BE CAREFUL WITH CYMBAL STACKERS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:44 PM »
That happened to me before when I used a stacker.  The only real solution I found was to not remove the stacker.

There may be a way to use some of the DW dogbones to construct some sort of similar setup that doesn't work off of the threaded part of your stand.

Or you can get a boom arm and attachment to easily run multiple cymbals off of one stand.

Or just buy a $30 cymbal stand to mount your splash or whatever off of.

DannyMeazell

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 12:49 AM »
I have seen some stands that the screw is removable. If you could find these you could keep extra pins or screws and just leave the one on the stackers on the stackers and put the others in for regular cymbals, or get a threaded long nut to screw down and screw another threaded pin 1/2 in the long bolt and screw your stacker on that! Will probally have to go to a screw company to find a long nut. They are usually hard brass. Make sense? I personally do not use stackers. I just get more stands. I currently usually use 10 Cymbals counting 2 Hi Hats. One is a Pearl remote Hi Hat mounted 1/2 way up on a telescoping boom stand with a 14" crash above the hi hats on the boom. The remote hat goes between my 1st and 2nd tom. Look at the photo below and the Remote Hi Hat is between my 1st and 2nd tom. I had a 20" crash in this photo mounted on the boom with the remote hi hat! ! 
Danny

Offline eardrum

• Cafe VIP
  • It's not too late to get better!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 01:51 AM »
I assume you are talking about a side screw that would screw on perpendicular to the post and crush the threads.  I have a gibraltar cymbal stacker and it simply screws on to the existing threads, using them, not crushing them.  I don't remember seeing a side screw. 

sleepybrIghteyez

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:24 AM »
My cymbal stacker has a side shaft screw that adjusts the diameter of the female thread. I don't use this to clamp down on male counterpart. I adjust it so that the stacker is the proper diameter for that bolt, and just screw it on as if it were any wing nut. I don't tighten it all the way down onto the felts, just the same as I don't tighten any of my wingnuts down. I like to leave them a little loose.

I thought the purpose of that little adjustment was so that you could use the stacker on a variety of stands with different bolt sizes, not to be used as what actually clamps the stacker to the adjoining stand. Maybe my stacker is a little different than yours?

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
Re: Be Careful with Cymbal Stackers
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 10:54 AM »
OMG, it would have to be a mighty big stage to play that set. :o

Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!