• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Overused or Clichéd Drum Fills and Beats

Started by Steve "Smitty" Smith, March 13, 2008, 03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Acrolite

And here's John Bonham, giving us two  http://www.keithcronin.com/drumstuff/bette.mp3]Bette Midlers  followed by a single snare hit.

Vintage Ludwig

I dont trip too much about overused fills.  Ill try to have fun with them and add to or subtract from the time signature, slip in an extra note or two or three-usually a triplet as opposed to as a flam if I can get away with it.

I dont feel bad about plagiarised fills.  I just try to add a personal touch to them ;)

Dave Heim

The tune "Middle of the Road" (Pretenders) opens up with a little drum break.  The break ends with four 'blickems'.  :)

BLICK-em  BLICK-em  BLICK-em  BLICK-em  boom

Todd Knapp

Paicey

(all) of my fills are so unique and refreshing that they not only amaze myself but the audience as well. Most of the cliched fills are done by lesser players. I can tell by reading this post that some of you could use a night out to watch me and learn some never before thought of fills. OK!, you want me to admit it?, you wanna hear that Paicey plays a cliched fill now and then?, don't anyone! let this information out. For your information i don't PLAY cliched fills, i simply play fills used before by masters of the craft ;D.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Paicey on March 15, 2008, 12:55 AM
(all) of my fills are so unique and refreshing that they not only amaze myself but the audience as well. Most of the cliched fills are done by lesser players. I can tell by reading this post that some of you could use a night out to watch me and learn some never before thought of fills. OK!, you want me to admit it?, you wanna hear that Paicey plays a cliched fill now and then?, don't anyone! let this information out. For your information i don't PLAY cliched fills, i simply play fills used before by masters of the craft.

You're a funny dude! Yeah, I think that's me too ... I don't play cliche fills, just fills that a lot of great drummers have played before me.  ;D Love it!

NY Frank

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on March 14, 2008, 11:06 AM
And here's John Bonham, giving us two  http://www.keithcronin.com/drumstuff/bette.mp3]Bette Midlers  followed by a single snare hit.

:)  I love all these terms for these fills - that we actually understand.   :)

This is great.

Absolut

i understand the whole "bucket of fish" thing, but can someone explain the Pat Boone Debbie Boone fill, so that i can promptly proceed to abuse it? :P

memfodrumma

aite, Mr. Acrolite, we need to hear 2 Bette Midlers, a Debbie Boone,Tina Turner, back to Bette MIdler, then followed by a James Brown growl!!!! Post it when you get the chance.....

Vintage Ludwig

Quote from: Paicey on March 15, 2008, 12:55 AM
(all) of my fills are so unique and refreshing that they not only amaze myself but the audience as well. Most of the cliched fills are done by lesser players. I can tell by reading this post that some of you could use a night out to watch me and learn some never before thought of fills. OK!, you want me to admit it?, you wanna hear that Paicey plays a cliched fill now and then?, don't anyone! let this information out. For your information i don't PLAY cliched fills, i simply play fills used before by masters of the craft ;D.
LMAO!  Hey dude-most of us do.  I would be skeptical of those who claim they dont or never have!

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Absolut on March 15, 2008, 11:46 AM
i understand the whole "bucket of fish" thing, but can someone explain the Pat Boone Debbie Boone fill, so that i can promptly proceed to abuse it? :P

Pat Boone = one Snare hit followed by one High Tom
Debbie Boone = two Snare hits followed by one Low Tom

The rhythm is: ONE AND TWO E AND

If you read it would be: two eighths followed by two sixteenths then an eighth.

Absolut

Thanks Bart, it all makes sense now. hopefully i get a chance to drum today, might have homework though. oh well, ill find some time to use it  ;D

Jim R.

Cliche' fills were the reason I used to rearrange my toms so they weren't high to low. I never wanted to play straight 16's down the toms, I wanted to come up with something else.
I think Billy Cobham was the first player I saw changing the toms around.
But now, a great fill is a great fill.

Danno

...and all these years I thought those were "Sandy Duncans".

SteveR

Tried to explain the MAGIC that is "Pat Boone, Debbie Boone" and why it's so funny to my bandmates this weekend. For some reason, they didn't find it as funny as me (or us).

I guess it's just a drummer thing.  :-\

Bart Elliott

This video has been shared here before, but not in this context.

Warning: One moment of explicit language (i.e. F-bomb).

My favorite "fill-etic": Francis Ford Coppola

RHSquonk

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on March 14, 2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.keithcronin.com/grooves/rosanna.mp3]This groove  starts out with a nice "bucket of fish."  :)

What a way to start one of THE finest shuffle examples.
Just killer. Ghost notes from hell.
RIP Jeff.
~RHS

Adam's Dad

How about the classic Sopranos fill:

Bada-Bing, Bada-Bang, Bada-Boom!