• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Short Stack Kit

Started by Funkadrummer, March 14, 2008, 10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funkadrummer

I haven't posted on here in a long while but since I just finished my first kit I'd figure I would post it. Hope you guys like it. It is a stave short stack kit in ash. 10x5 12x6 14x7 20x12 and a 5.25x13 vaugncraft sassafras shell. The stave shells were made by unix.

NY Frank

The kit is gorgeous.  It really hits the spot for me.

It invokes, in my mind, the scene in Wayne's World when Wayne is standing
at the window of the music store, lusting for the Strat:

"... Oh yes, you will be Mine ..."

;D

Funkadrummer

Thanks, when I record it I will be sure to post some sound files. They sound amazing. The kick is my favorite, it hits your right in the chest, and the toms are full, fat, and have a lot of attack.

NY Frank

Ok, don't hold out on us.  :)

Tell us more about the project, and tell us where you bought the shells.

8)

Funkadrummer

Well the idea for this kit I have had for a long time since I first saw Billy Ward's dvd "Big Time" and saw his short stack kit and just loved the sound of the small drums. I ordered the stave shells from unix hes well known on ghostnote and he recently joined here nad he does great work at a great price. The stave shells are ash and sound great compared to maple they have a great fat low end. The 10" and 12" are 3/8, 14" is 7/16, and the 20" is 1/2". The Kick drum is a mans kick drum. The shells were done in maloof's oil. Which is a combination of linseed oil, tung oil and carbunara wax. Each drum has about 7-10 coats inside and out, I forgot how many but, it is in that range. I finished the drums using jonsons hardwood floor wax and put 7 coats on. For the bass drum I used keller hoops. Was just a cheap alternative to buying ash stave hoops. The toms and snare have 2.3mm hoops, and for lugs I used Allstars step lugs. They are a solid aluminum lug w/ an insert. For the toms and snare I used Aquarian's standard 1ply head. On the kick drum I used the Aquarian Full Force. They just bring such a great low end punch out of the drum with a very open sound. The toms are very fat, and have a lot of attack do to their size, and are also tuned very open. Right now the toms are slighty out of tune, and even in this state they still sound great. The edges are graduated up to a full rounded kick drum on the batter, and the resonant are double 45's. This makes for a very fat and round sound drums.

The snare is a Vaughncraft Second. It is 5.25x13 Sasafras, it has a very open, mellow, and low end to it. Works great for a funk, jazz, or the second line stuff Im currently working on. The edges 45/ round on top, and double 45 on the bottom. It also has very deep snare beds. This was also done with about 2 coats of maloof, and about 6 coats of wax.

diddle

very nice!!   :o

perhaps you can post a recording of them.   

Paicey

My first thoughts to seeing your kit made me think about how incredible Billys kit sounded on his BIG TIME DVD. I mean (seriously) good. I dont doubt for a second that your kit kicks major hiney. Im a bit envious, i may not like you for about a week but ill get over it ;).

felix

Really awesome drumset.

Congratulations.  I love it!  Really nice. 

Funkadrummer

Thanks guys for the kind words I really appreciate it.

Bart Elliott

Yes, share some audio clips of the kit when you get a chance. I always liked the sound of Billy Ward's kit as well as my friend Dan Wojciechowski's kit; both of which were using DW Short Stacks.

Nice looking set ... congratulations!

Anthony Manning-Franklin

Bob Dias

Funkadrummer,
Excellent, excellent kit.  As mentioned, any chance of getting sound files?  I hope mine turns out even a fraction that well.
Beautimus...Bob

NY Frank

If you ever decide to sell that kit, I want a PM.

:)

dsalvage

Very nice looking kit!
How does it sound?