Topic: Best room in the house to tune drums?  (Read 940 times)

Billie Luke Duke

• Copper Member
Best room in the house to tune drums?
« on: March 20, 2008, 07:49 PM »
I play my drums in my basement, which is a giant concrete room, which makes my drums sounds really boomy but when I get them to a club, they don't sound kind of dead. 

I'm going for a wet, thudy, feel it in the gut sound. 

Is there a better place in a house to tune drums for this kind of sound or should I just get to the club early and tune up there? 

Thanks!

Ryan Culberson

• Cafe VIP
Re: Best room in the house to tune drums?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:09 PM »
I think it makes the most sense to tune for the room you'll be playing, so at the club a bit early would be best.  My drums sound different in almost every room I play and I find that a bit of tweaking (the drums, not me :)) is usually in order to dial them in to whatever room I happen to be in.

Have you experimented with dampening your basement?  You could probably get rid of some of that boominess with some well-placed carpet or other sound absorption material.   

Bart Elliott

• Super Admin
  • Founder & Owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:28 PM »
The best room to tune your drums in is the room you're playing in.

No matter where you tune your drums, the room you are playing in has an enormous affect on what the drums sound like. Room shape and size as well as the kinds of reflective surfaces and absorbing material in the room all play a role in the drum's sound. Tuning in another room than where you will end up playing isn't going to solve it for you. Perhaps if the basement is so live that you can't hear the nuances you want to hear while tuning, it might be best to move to a room that you can hear. Just so you realize that what you hear in the room you tune in is not going to be what you hear in the room you play in.

I would work on treating the room ... making it more friendly to your drums, your ears and your tuning.

William Leslie

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 04:56 PM »
Im another basement drummer, However I have to agree with the above staments. I always retune when I get to the gig. Almost every room sounds different. It would be nice if you could tune once and forget it, but it just doesn't work that way.

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram