• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Community Solo ... it's that time again!

Started by Bart Elliott, March 18, 2008, 03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Counts

I am not at home Frank but I think I bought the Zoom MRS 1608.
                 Nutty

Bob Dias

+1  with the groove...
With mics and a recording interface this time, I have no excuses...
Time to put the rotos on the rack and belly up to the HH/Sn/Bass.
Just let me know when and how...Bob

Chip Donaho

Quote from: felix on March 20, 2008, 04:17 PM
Chip, presonus has a firewire interface and cubase LE software for $119.  Wow, that surprised me.
I was just reading about that unit. But they said it wouldn't be able to record drums. Is that because of inputs? Would I be able to run my mics into my PA head, then into the recording unit?
I'm not much for understanding things like this. But I do have a son-in-law who's a sound man. Maybe he could tell me if it would work. I know, I'm a recording moron....  :-\

amoacristo

Quote from: Chip71 on March 21, 2008, 04:16 PM
I was just reading about that unit. But they said it wouldn't be able to record drums. Is that because of inputs? Would I be able to run my mics into my PA head, then into the recording unit?
I'm not much for understanding things like this. But I do have a son-in-law who's a sound man. Maybe he could tell me if it would work. I know, I'm a recording moron....  :-\

That was a guy reviewing saying that you couldn't record drums with it but he was just meaning that you would need more inputs to be able to record drums well. I think you could do well recording with 4 inputs. If you need more, you can daisy chain them it says for up to 16 inputs. With 4, I would mic the snare, bass drum, and then do 2 overhead mics. It is going to be hard to beat that for that price.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: amoacristo on March 21, 2008, 11:05 PM
With 4, I would mic the snare, bass drum, and then do 2 overhead mics.

I would just go with a mic on the Kick drum and two overhead mics. Placing a mic on the Snare without micking the Toms always seems unbalanced to my ears ... and I typically end up muting the Snare track. The two overheads will do a great job on the Snare, Toms and Cymbals ... and the Kick mic will fill it out nicely. Obviously do what works and sounds works best to you.

amoacristo

Quote from: Bart Elliott on March 21, 2008, 11:14 PM
I would just go with a mic on the Kick drum and two overhead mics. Placing a mic on the Snare without micking the Toms always seems unbalanced to my ears ... and I typically end up muting the Snare track. The two overheads will do a great job on the Snare, Toms and Cymbals ... and the Kick mic will fill it out nicely. Obviously do what works and sounds works best to you.

I agree with you, I usually do the same thing when I did that set up but always recorded with a snare mic anyway just in case I decide I want it. I would add it just because I can because in my opinion it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

diddle

Quote from: Bart Elliott on March 21, 2008, 01:37 AM
Sounds like I need to let go of the whole video taping thing.

good idea... you'll get more participation!

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: amoacristo on March 21, 2008, 11:05 PM
That was a guy reviewing saying that you couldn't record drums with it but he was just meaning that you would need more inputs to be able to record drums well. I think you could do well recording with 4 inputs. If you need more, you can daisy chain them it says for up to 16 inputs. With 4, I would mic the snare, bass drum, and then do 2 overhead mics. It is going to be hard to beat that for that price.
If I correctly read the description of the interface, only two of the inputs are balanced.  The other two are unbalanced 1/4" inputs.  It seems the price went up on that unit since Felix posted about it.

amoacristo

Quote from: JeepnDrummer on March 22, 2008, 04:01 PM
If I correctly read the description of the interface, only two of the inputs are balanced.  The other two are unbalanced 1/4" inputs.  It seems the price went up on that unit since Felix posted about it.

True on both accounts. You can convert from balanced to unbalanced though. It isn't a piece of equipment you would see in a major studio, but I think a person that was willing to put some effort into using it would be able to get some descent results out of it.

Anthony Manning-Franklin

There is the alesis io6 or whatever it's called, I think that has 4 preamps,  or the presonus FP10 if u want 8 preamps.

sphykik

Count me in! A groove based solo sounds great  ;D

Gaetano Nicolosi

Ok,
Count me in too. Groove solo or whatever I can't miss the community solo, it will be History  ;D

NY Frank

Quote from: Gaetano Nicolosi on March 24, 2008, 11:39 PM
... I can't miss the community solo, it will be History  ;D

Especially with me in it this year, right?     ;)    ;D

Seriously folks - I'll do my best to not Mess It Up Too Much.     :)

felix

Gaetano, you kill me  ;D  His solos are always a work of art.

Frank I'm sure your solo will be a force to be reckoned with  :)

The solo never really has a competitive vibe and quite frankly I'm surprised we still do it since it sorta started as a "hey we should all have a communal solo".  But here we are and this is the fourth one already?  Wow.  It's always fun. 

Gaetano, my solo this year is going to be my best yet- I have been so in the zone bro!

AutoCrat

I participated the first year, it will be fun to try it again this year!

I just hope that the limit date to submit our work will be in a couple of weeks since I'm moving from my appartment to a brand new home and thus won't be able to record until june or so :-/

Gaetano Nicolosi

Quote from: felix on March 25, 2008, 02:54 PM
Gaetano, you kill me  ;D  His solos are always a work of art.

Frank I'm sure your solo will be a force to be reckoned with  :)

The solo never really has a competitive vibe and quite frankly I'm surprised we still do it since it sorta started as a "hey we should all have a communal solo".  But here we are and this is the fourth one already?  Wow.  It's always fun. 

Gaetano, my solo this year is going to be my best yet- I have been so in the zone bro!

Felix,
I am sure your solo will amazing! I can't wait to hear it, as well the rest of participants.

felix

*boom boom CHA boom boom CHA*  Amazing!   ;D

Gaetano Nicolosi

Exactely! That's what I'm talking about!