• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

2008 Baseball: Let The Games Begin

Started by NY Frank, March 30, 2008, 08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Frank

Tomorrow, we start anew.

Let The Games Begin.

Go Yankees

Todd Norris

Ah Frank.  Even though you support the dreaded Yanks, we still love ya!

Go Diamondbacks! 

xdrummer2000

Though I'm not a sports fan by any means, I feel it's proper to wish all the players, coaches, and the referees (yup, even those refs ::) ;D) the best of luck. I hope it'll be a fun season for them and all who are baseball fans.

I'm sorry to stray a little bit from the main topic, but this happened at a baseball game yesterday at the opening pitch.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/03/30/bush-booed-nationals/

I'm not trying to turn this into a political debate topic, but I gotta say this: My heart kinda sank when he walked out onto the field and lots of people responded negatively to his presence there. I know he's quite unpopular and he's had his faults, but I say give the guy a break. It's no walk in the park leading a country. I know for certain I could never do it, and I'd like to see some of those people who were booing him try to do it without screwing up.

On the positive side, he didn't do too bad at pitching. Not bad at all.

Hank Gagnon

yeah baby!  the yankees will take back the title that is rightfully theirs.  i feel bad that the stadium will be no more next year. like derek jeter said, the ghosts don't have far to walk to the new stadium.

smoggrocks

Quote from: hankster on April 01, 2008, 08:25 PM
i feel bad that the stadium will be no more next year.

well yah; it's history. but if it helps my commute any, i'll be happier. the D train was positively packed last nite due to the game. you yankee fans are LOUD!

but i think mets fans are even louder  ;D. go mets!! [and get well soon, pedro]

kmaley

Todd Norris

Quote from: hankster on April 01, 2008, 08:25 PM
... like derek jeter said, the ghosts don't have far to walk to the new stadium.

Don't forget about Mystique and Aura.  Oh wait.  Schilling and Johnson booted them out of town in '01.  My mistake.   ;D

William Leslie

Yes all is well in New York, however, my Phillies will still be following the crowd waiting for the right time to make their move. I just hope it's upward.

RHSquonk

I guess I will have to be the first RedSox Cheerleader here, and I know I am not the only one from Boston on this board, but here goes

GO SOX!

~RHS

p.s.
NY Frank...hope you didn't get too dirty digging up that shirt  ;)

NY Frank

Quote from: RHSquonk on April 24, 2008, 05:48 PM
I guess I will have to be the first RedSox Cheerleader here, and I know I am not the only one from Boston on this board, but here goes

GO SOX!

~RHS

p.s.
NY Frank...hope you didn't get too dirty digging up that shirt  ;)

Nope, not at all.  Piece of cake.

And now that it is sold, some of us are holding a fund raiser to buy it from the
current owners - so that we can burn it at a future game.

;)       ;)

RHSquonk

Quote from: New York Frank on April 24, 2008, 06:19 PM
Nope, not at all.  Piece of cake.

And now that it is sold, some of us are holding a fund raiser to buy it from the
current owners - so that we can burn it at a future game.

;)       ;)
LOL!
Well I hope that works out for you but you will probably need the dough to pay for tickets at the new stadium as I am sure they will not be cheap.

Best of luck this season but try not to be too disappointed when you don't make the playoffs.

'Nuff Said (McGreevy)  ;)

~RHS

NY Frank

Quote from: RHSquonk on April 24, 2008, 06:30 PM
LOL!
Best of luck this season but try not to be too disappointed when you don't make the playoffs.

You KNOW that we'll either be leading the way, or right on your tail.

Personally, I'm making plans for October baseball.    :)

[Now, who has the lighter - let's light this stinky jersey up ...]

RHSquonk

Quote from: New York Frank on April 24, 2008, 06:33 PM
You KNOW that we'll either be leading the way, or right on your tail.

Personally, I'm making plans for October baseball.    :)

[Now, who has the lighter - let's light this stinky jersey up ...]

I agree...Jersey does have a weird smell that eminates from it.
ROTFL!  :D
~RHS

NY Frank

I just tried to add you as a MySpace friend, but you have that
all locked up.

What's the magic e-mail address?
StinkySoxDontGottaAChance@StupidJerseyPranks.com?

:)

RRRRROTFL

;)

Quote from: RHSquonk on April 24, 2008, 06:38 PM
I agree...Jersey does have a weird smell that eminates from it.

That's emanates, for you Sox fans.   :)

amoacristo

All I have to say is that people won't even remember how to spell Josh Beckett's name once Joba becomes a starter. Sad that a career ERA close to 4 and he is still considered great. Though, sadly, compared to other starters currently he is great. Either speaks real low for pitching or real high for hitting or possibly a mix of the two.

Speaking of a smell, it will be hard to tell if the stink this year is stronger from and old, nasty jersey or from David Ortiz himself. I won't go any further with that, though, since the guy certainly should be capable of matching his rather lofty career batting average of .287 by the end of the season with the kind of skills he has.

Ok, rant over, at least for now.

Todd Norris

Funny stuff guys!

The good thing of being in the NL is that we can just wait to see who survives the beatings NYY and BRS put on each other! 

Go DBacks! 

NY Frank

The bar for pitching in the majors has Definitely lowered over the years - probably somewhat due to all the expansion teams drawing on the same small talent pool.

Yeah - these days a 4 ERA pitcher is great, a 5 is still good, and above that
is still highly tolerable.

There are many pitchers on staffs today who would not be viewed as worthy of the big leagues 
30 years ago.

At work we joke about quitting and trying out for a team as a pitcher - with the likelihood that someone would give us a spot.   :)

"Gotta pulse and you can reach the plate, too?   Come with me..."
;D

amoacristo

All true but also it seems like the standard for hitting has lowered. Use to be, seems like to me, that you had to hit .300 or higher to be considered a very good hitter. Now you have "superstars" that are below that. Interesting, but whatever.

I heard something on the radio the other day that was extremely interesting to me. The guy, don't know who, was saying that players today are stronger than ever, faster than ever, train more than ever, have more personal trainers watching over them, and yet there are more injuries than ever. Weird how that works.

Now, I don't want to dwell on the baseball isn't what it use to be band wagon because that can get old. The truth is, I think the game is more exciting to watch and follow today. A great pitching performance can be really boring. Hitting and scoring lots of runs is more fun to watch.

Well, the White Sox got Joba last night but still not worried about him. You can't win them all.

RHSquonk

Quote from: New York Frank on April 24, 2008, 06:46 PM
I just tried to add you as a MySpace friend, but you have that
all locked up.

What's the magic e-mail address?
StinkySoxDontGottaAChance@StupidJerseyPranks.com?

RRRRROTFL

;)

That's emanates, for you Sox fans.   :)
WOW  :o
Someone needs a hug!
My apolagys for the tipo...I forgot how senseteve you NY people is.
;)

I do agree with the decline of pitching and I think you are right Frank about the expansion teams being root cause. I guess we should just all be thankful they are not striking.  ::)

I have to say though I am getting tired of the NYY/BRS games dragging on for hours...seems like every game now is 5 + hours.
Shut up and play already!

~RHS

Todd Norris

OK so it's mid-May and here's the standings: 

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings;_ylt=AqNQqTDCJbu4hd66TOrqtJkRvLYF]http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings;_ylt=AqNQqTDCJbu4hd66TOrqtJkRvLYF

NYY in LAST place in the AL East.  Bosox trailing the Rays by 1.5 games for 1st place.

Diamondbacks have the best record in all of baseball with a .643 winning percentage. 

Go Diamondbacks!           ;D

RHSquonk

pffft.
The standings don't mean anything yet.
The REAL season doesn't start until after the all-star break.

NY won't stay in last for long and I am sure they will be breathing down Bostons neck by August.

The DB's are hot right now though and are playing really well. I wonder if they can keep it together for the rest of the season?

Guess we will see.

~RHS

NY Frank

It's a long season, brothers and sisters.

Keep your champagne on ice.

Louis Russell

Quote from: New York Frank on May 17, 2008, 09:28 PM
It's a long season, brothers and sisters.

Keep your champagne on ice.

The season does not officially start until I start talking about it, which is still a ways down the road!  ;D  It is wayyyyyy too early for ranking any team. 

Todd Norris

Why is it that the fans of the teams at the bottom of the rankings spend the whole season saying that the season hasn't started yet?   ;D  By the time their "season starts" the D-Backs will be relaxing waiting for the playoffs to start...   ;D 

Go Diamondbacks!

Louis Russell

Dave Heim

Quote from: Louis on May 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
Mark me down as a Cubs fan!

Me too.  I wasn't able to take in Day Two of the Chicago Drum Show because I had tix for yesterday's game!

Louis Russell

Quote from: Dave Heim on May 19, 2008, 07:55 PM
Me too.  I wasn't able to take in Day Two of the Chicago Drum Show because I had tix for yesterday's game!

Some days it is hard to choose!  I would have been happy to have made either the show or game!

RHSquonk

Ok Kids...we are in the post season now.

Anyone care to revise your previous statements?  ;)

The RedSox are in game 3 of the ALCS tonight...what no Yankees? hmm..oh well TampaBay will do...in fact the have been hot all season and I am a little nervous they might take it, they have a great team and have been playing really well.

And before someone says it...yes the Pats got smoked yesterday by SanDiego. I think I actually threw up a little in the 3rd quarter. Painful.

~RH

NY Frank

RHSquonk

NY Frank

Quote from: RHSquonk on October 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
LOL...I knew that was coming!  :)

~R

Might as well throw this in, too:

Go Giants!

;D

Monday night game - tonight.

NY Frank

Quote from: Louis on May 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
Mark me down as a Cubs fan!

I was just reading some of the earlier comments.

Once the Yankees took a dive, I was really rooting for the Cubbies.

It was really their turn this year.  Maybe then can repeat next season and take it all the way.  [Well, only all the way *if* the Yankees aren't in the mix.   ;)  ]

amoacristo

People have understandably been quick to bash Manny for what he did to the Red Sox and how he has played in blue and white since leaving Boston. I wonder what the other side of the story is completely. I just don't understand why the public doesn't ever understand that we never, ever get all of the details concerning anything. News is reported very incomplete and very biased.

Enough of that. Go Rays!

NY Frank

amoacristo

Quote from: New York Frank on October 24, 2008, 05:26 PM
I can echo that.

Go Rays!

What they have done so far is amazing. It just won't be nearly as good if the Phillies win the series. From bottom to top in 1 year is amazing, especially with such a young team.