• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

4th Annual Drummer Cafe Community Drum Solo

Started by Bart Elliott, April 07, 2008, 07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Frank

I feel like someone who gets to school, hears what everyone else did to study for a test, and realizes I didn't study enough.   :o

Maybe I should withdraw mine.   :-\

Anthony Manning-Franklin

Quote from: New York Frank on May 31, 2008, 11:15 PM
I feel like someone who gets to school, hears what everyone else did to study for a test, and realizes I didn't study enough.   :o

Maybe I should withdraw mine.   :-\

If it makes you feel any better mine was just the first thing that came to mind when I hit record and sat behind the drums. I did two takes and left it at that.

NY Frank

It Does make me feel better.    :)

When I did it, I just decided to do it, put it on, played two takes, and picked one.

Total elapsed time, with getting the mic out  :)  about 5 minutes.

[But, the amount of effort Will be reflected in the final product.   :)   ]

Mark Counts

Frank,
Don't worry about it.  This was all about groovin'.  It wasn't a chop fest. I worked on mine some last night and how much chops can you put into a funk beat?  It is all about feel.  This one was fun.  Why worry about it?  Sometimes, less is best anyway.
I love this rhythm. This one was really fun for me. I will record my final product tonight. I will try to do it in two or three takes too.
                                          Nutty

Mark Counts

Quote from: New York Frank on June 01, 2008, 07:25 AM
It Does make me feel better.    :)

When I did it, I just decided to do it, put it on, played two takes, and picked one.

Total elapsed time, with getting the mic out  :)  about 5 minutes.

[But, the amount of effort Will be reflected in the final product.   :)   ]
Hey Frank,
My wife has very little patience with me these days, ::) so I am sending the first take.
Don't feel bad, I am sure there are drummers on here that will smoke my &^%, :'(  but it was fun. DONE!!! ;D
                 Nutty

snaresoff

Hi Bart..I was away on business..I just got back..is it too late to submit my solo? Also ...it should be  no more than two min...not sure?Thanks Chris  :)

Bart Elliott

Quote from: snaresoff on June 01, 2008, 10:32 PM
Hi Bart..I was away on business..I just got back..is it too late to submit my solo? Also ...it should be  no more than two min...not sure?Thanks Chris  :)

It's not too late.

The groove solo should just be 12 bars; playing along with the bass accompaniment track.

snaresoff

Great! Gonna get to it! Thanks for the speedy reply Bart. Peace Chris :)

Kathrine Almlie

Dang! I totally missed the cutoff date!  Oh well, next time! ~Kat

felix

Quote from: Bart Elliott on May 31, 2008, 12:11 PM
David Crigger is going to contribute a solo as well, so I'm waiting on his as well.

That's awesome.  David is just such an incredible player.

NY Frank

Bart - what's the outlook for posting the final product?

8)

Bart Elliott

Quote from: New York Frank on June 03, 2008, 09:15 AM
Bart - what's the outlook for posting the final product?

When everyone who has asked for more time gets their submission to me ... and I get the time to mix the final product.  ;D

Todd Norris

Thanks to the date extension that allowed my kids to start summer vacation, I finally had a chance to sit down and try a few takes.  I'll get it out tonight FWIW.

Nick

I have to mic a new kit up to test it tomorrow, I am going to see if I can quickly put something down & send it straight away.. Hopefully it will be in time..

:)

N

NY Frank

When you hear my clip, you'll also hear how long I took to *mic* the kit.

About - 15 seconds.      ;)

With - yeah, baby - a Radio Shack mic.

I Should be in the running for worst tone of the bunch.  Yeah.   

Bart Elliott

I've been mixing the solos for the last few days; I'm about half-way done. Being that there is video and photos, as well as text labels (showing your name and username) it takes a little longer to make it all nice and pretty.

If you are going to send a video in, you need to do so by this weekend as I'm planning to show this on DCTV next week!

Don't delay ... get your groove in today!  ;D

Nick

Mine will be in video format and be with you for Saturday evening if that's ok..

:)

N

Dave Heim

Quote from: Bart Elliott on June 06, 2008, 09:44 AM
I've been mixing the solos for the last few days; I'm about half-way done. Being that there is video and photos, as well as text labels (showing your name and username) it takes a little longer to make it all nice and pretty.

If you are going to send a video in, you need to do so by this weekend as I'm planning to show this on DCTV next week!

Don't delay ... get your groove in today!  ;D

I plan to get to mine this evening since I didn't take that gig.

12 bars, right?  (or was it 10 bars and two strip joints?)  :)

Hannah Ford

Shewwwwwww....doing mine this weekend as well!

Thanks Bart!

Hannah

Jim R.

Nothing like a deadline to kick everyone into gear!   :)