• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

nylon stick tips

Started by vonludwig, June 06, 2008, 07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonludwig

nice forum!
  does anyone hear know where i can buy JUST NYLON TIPS?
i have the ability to make my own custom sticks and need tips
someone suggested AHEAD replacements, but at 5 bucks a set, it hardly seems worth doing this to save $$$$$

Dave Heim

Quote from: vonludwig on June 06, 2008, 07:31 AM
nice forum!
  does anyone hear know where i can buy JUST NYLON TIPS?
i have the ability to make my own custom sticks and need tips
someone suggested AHEAD replacements, but at 5 bucks a set, it hardly seems worth doing this to save $$$$$

Didn't you already ask this a couple of weeks ago?

vonludwig

yes -- different forum though thanx for noticing.... too bad im not a wanna-be rock and roll drummer. they seem to be the only people who get any help! what color sticks sound best? how hard should i hit a drum? should i use both hands to play? look at my video, i almost dont suck! CHEESE CHEESE AND MORE CHEESE

Dave Heim

Quote from: vonludwig on June 06, 2008, 08:35 AM
. . .too bad im not a wanna-be rock and roll drummer. they seem to be the only people who get any help!. . .

Or it could be that what you're looking for is not available to consumers. 

Companies that manufacture sticks buy their tips from plastic/rubber companies in huge quantities (based on my experience from my days working at Ludwig/Musser).  Those companies make the plastic tips to the specs of the company making the sticks.  Consequently they are not available through retail channels for DIY guys. 

You might try a bead shop - you might find a plastic bead that till work, and perhaps give an interesting tone.

Joe

The first nylon drumstick tips were fashioned, IIRC, from a screwdriver handle.

This may or may not help. :) 

Chip Donaho

Quote from: Joe on August 12, 2008, 01:13 PM
The first nylon drumstick tips were fashioned from a screwdriver handle.
No idea about that, never heard it before. I was one of the first drummers to get any of them when they came out. No idea what year that was. I've been playing drums that long.  ;D

Joe

Quote from: Chip71 on August 12, 2008, 02:29 PM
No idea about that, never heard it before. I was one of the first drummers to get any of them when they came out. No idea what year that was. I've been playing drums that long.  ;D

Incidentally, you left out my IIRC---"if-I-recall-correctly"---bit. ;)

It happens I did, though: http://www.pas.org/About/HofDetails.cfm?IFile=calato

QuoteOne day I thought I should try to put a plastic tip on the stick. So I got a screwdriver with a yellow plastic handle, cut out a piece, whittled out a tip, and stuck it on a stick." That was the beginning of the Regal Tip drumstick.

If I were in the position of wanting to fabricate my own nylon tips, I'd take a raw rod of nylon stock from the hardware store---big box, mom-and-pop or otherwise---and lathe it in a scalloped manner, saw the individual pieces, and drill.

David Jung

Maybe if you wrote a really nice letter to Regal Tip and sent ten or twenty bucks along with a padded SASE of appropriate size, they might send you a handful.  Depends on the company, but you never know.

Or just cut to the chase and give them a call.  The internet isn't always the best place to find out something.

--David