• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Legless cymbal stands

Started by idtag, July 06, 2008, 12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idtag

Just seeing if anyone has already fabricated this setup or knows of anything off the shelf.

Saw Rush last month and noticed that there weren't any legs on Neil's stands. Started digging a little and found he had this custom setup back when Hold Your Fire came out. The base of the stand tube screws into a fitting bolted to the riser... no legs at all. Quick and easy setup.

The design for my new riser is pretty much done but would like to add this to the fabrication list. I've spent some time thinking over the issues that would have to be addressed and tripod legs would certainly place less stress on that bottom tube than if it were screwed into the stage.

Dave Heim

Quote from: idtag on July 06, 2008, 12:35 AM
Just seeing if anyone has already fabricated this setup or knows of anything off the shelf.

Saw Rush last month and noticed that there weren't any legs on Neil's stands. Started digging a little and found he had this custom setup back when Hold Your Fire came out. The base of the stand tube screws into a fitting bolted to the riser... no legs at all. Quick and easy setup.

The design for my new riser is pretty much done but would like to add this to the fabrication list. I've spent some time thinking over the issues that would have to be addressed and tripod legs would certainly place less stress on that bottom tube than if it were screwed into the stage.

Not exactly the same, but I use a good ole Pearl Icon rack and get essentially the same results.  No tripod bases, easy/repeatable positioning with regard to heights and angles. 

My hesitation with the fittings on the floor, would be ease of changes down the road.  That and carrying a riser everywhere - which you may already do.

Louis Russell

Quote from: idtag on July 06, 2008, 12:35 AMI've spent some time thinking over the issues that would have to be addressed and tripod legs would certainly place less stress on that bottom tube than if it were screwed into the stage.
It would be easy enough to take the bases off the stands but there would be issues trying to thread the plated stands and cutting threads would also weaken the stands.  If I was doing this I would mount pipe flanges on the riser and then thread a 6-8 inch piece of brass stock that was turned to fit inside the stand.  You could insert this part into each stand and secure with a roll pin. 

idtag

Quote from: Louis on July 06, 2008, 09:14 AM
It would be easy enough to take the bases off the stands but there would be issues trying to thread the plated stands and cutting threads would also weaken the stands.  If I was doing this I would mount pipe flanges on the riser and then thread a 6-8 inch piece of brass stock that was turned to fit inside the stand.  You could insert this part into each stand and secure with a roll pin. 
That's along the same lines I was thinking. Of course the one piece of equipment I don't have is a lathe. At least for a prototype I was planning to take up the slop with good old JB Weld. I do have a pipe threader so that's a pretty easy one.

The rack was another option and I did use one for a while quite a few years back. It could have been the hardware but I could never quite get things were I wanted them. That or I was just too inflexible to adjust myself!

As far as the riser, it does go to every gig with few exceptions. Right now we've got an old plywood setup another drummer had retired. I do have 2 so I plan to keep the second set of stands functional for the odd gig without the riser.

I did think about placement as well. My setup is pretty well established. I've marked all the stand positions on the carpet already. If I can transfer those to the new riser it shoudn't be bad but relocating after the fact will be a process.

Louis Russell

Quote from: idtag on July 06, 2008, 09:31 AMOf course the one piece of equipment I don't have is a lathe.
You probably will not need a lathe.  Measure the ID of the stands and I am sure you can find some brass stock the proper size to fit inside.  Since you have the pipe threader you will be ready to go.  For the prototype you may get lucky and use pipe nipples.  Standard 1/4 inch pipe has an OD of 0.540" and 3/8 inch pipe has an OD of 0.675".  Measure the ID of your stands and see what you have to work with.