• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

"slightly shocked"

Started by Misterkamikazi, July 18, 2008, 04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misterkamikazi

Maybe I'm the only one who's slightly appalled that Chic's Tony Thompson doesn't have a profile on Drummer world's website. He happens to be one of my favorite drummers, that's all and it including Donny Wynn, but Tony is quite shocking. ???

Chris Whitten

Sadly I think he is a little under rated.
Also, Drummerworld is just an amateur site, the hard work of an enthusiast.
So, it's not going to be perfect.

Tkitna

I was looking for him on Drummerworld the other day and was also surprised he was absent from the list.

Oh well, we all know.

Eskil Sæter

Yeah, I'm missing a number of drummers from drummerworld as well. As Chris Witten said though, it's run by an enthusiast. Check the wishlist. If he's not there, suggest him.

jnyman

Bernard of Drummerworld has said that it's his site, reflecting his tastes first, and unfortunately time and money constraints don't allow him to get to everyone...

...I read that somewhere... can't remember where....   :P

Misterkamikazi

Ah, okay. Wasn't sure how drummerworld worked exactly. I sent in a request today, to have Tony Thompson added to the list. Hope Bernie follows through with it. Thanks a million.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Well, for one, Tony's no longer around to bask in the glory of his work. Taken too soon.

Much of the work I attributed to Omar in the 80s was apparently TT. Also, I remember him as a member of Power Station. Talk about power groove. Can't believe no one remembers this, but TT was the original Bonham replacement but he got sick or something, squelching the Led Zep reunion. TT was PERFECT for that job.

Todd Knapp

Some Like It Hot blew my mind the first time I heard it.

Chris Whitten

I prefer the Chic stuff.
Engineered by Bob Clearmountain too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQMMiHpeN8

Leading to the dawn of hip-hop....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqFpAF70UWI&feature=related

Todd Knapp

No argument there, Chris.  :P

Misterkamikazi

His drumming had such a powerful and distinctive style to it, that can be heard in songs such as "China Girl", Addicted to Love", "Some Like it Hot", "Material Girl" and of course all of Chic's hits. I believe it was a car accident that prevented him from touring with Led Zeppelin. Would have been a real treat, not only to have seen him perform with Zeppelin, but if he were still around today.