• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

BILLY WARD TRIO GIG IN NYC BEFORE MD FEST

Started by Billy Ward, September 07, 2008, 10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Ward

Hey guys - sorry to have not been around here more lately - lots of work (some in Nashville and more in NYC). My trio is doing a gig in New York City before our appearance at the MD FEst on Sept 20.
These guys are really good and this gig will be a bit more loose than the festival probably :D

the gig is at the Cutting Room in NYC - a very cool club - The night is September 18, Thursday evening before the Festival performance. It wll be a let loose and explore kind of night for sure.   Drummer Louie Appel will open for us with his trio at 8:15 and we will go on at 9:30. I expect tickets to be scarce so order in advance if you feel like committing.

here's the ticket info:
https://www.smarttix.com/show.aspx?showcode=BIL7

or by phone @ 212-868-4444

I'll be around here more by November and December - when work slows down.  Keep on keeping on!

Thanks!

Hannah Ford

Hey Billy,

Thanks for the heads up!

I know Dad is going to be there on Thursday, but I'm not sure if I'm coming in on Thursday or Friday yet. 

Just got in from Los Angeles and should have my schedule planned out in a little more detail tomorrow.

I'm sure Dad would love to come even if I don't make it in, but I'm going to cross my fingers I can make it as well.

See you at the FEST for sure!

Hannah

Billy Ward

cool!  I'm looking forward to the festival!

Hannah Ford

We'll as it turns out I have rehearsals I can't shake.  Looks like I won't be getting in until Friday after all.

I'll make sure Dad has the info and maybe he can swing by the gig.

See you at the Fest!

Hannah

Paicey

Billy!, even though i wont make it you play well anyway. If you go for a fill and come in backwards by accident just do what i do, look at the guitar player like hes an idiot. If you are ever in my area bring that purple crushed satin shirt.

Hannah Ford

Quote from: Paicey on September 13, 2008, 12:29 PM
Billy!, even though i wont make it you play well anyway. If you go for a fill and come in backwards by accident just do what i do, look at the guitar player like hes an idiot. If you are ever in my area bring that purple crushed satin shirt.

You do that too?????

lol

Todd Norris

Quote from: Paicey on September 13, 2008, 12:29 PM
If you go for a fill and come in backwards by accident just do what i do, look at the guitar player like hes an idiot.

That's hilarious!  Probably the best advice I've heard in years!   ;)

smoggrocks

ah--i just got a cutting room e-mail for this event, so i will go :D you're a great drummer to watch and learn from, billy.

wonder if there's still tickets to md fest avail--it's at my alma mater, so would be extra cool to attend. gotta check the wallet...

good luck. break a drumstick!

smoggrocks

this was an excellent show. billy was very inspired and demonstrated all manner of musical sensitivity and dexterity. i'd say he's one of the most unique voices to come forth in some time. his bassist is phenomenal.

i'll give a full download when i get home; too many deadlines at the office right now.

just one thought on billy's drums: you know i am the farthest thing from a gearhead, but i confess i got gear envy. not only do the dw's sound frickin' awesome, they are gorgeous. i don't know what kind of wood they are; it didn't look like bubinga. the woodgrain had a long, 'drippy' pattern going on, versus the more round, scrolly pattern i've seen on bubingas. super killer cool.

also, billy has the best laugh i've ever heard. it cuts through a room almost as much as his snare.

ok, talk later-
smoggarina

Chip Donaho

Quote from: smoggrocks on September 19, 2008, 10:27 AM
not only do the dw's sound frickin' awesome, they are gorgeous.
They play and sound as good as they look. I already had 3 sets, but when the shop owner let me use them on a gig I was sold. Then I let another drummer play a couple songs. Sure did sound great....From that point on the set was mine!  :)

KevinD

Quote from: smoggrocks on September 19, 2008, 10:27 AM
this was an excellent show. billy was very inspired and demonstrated all manner of musical sensitivity and dexterity. i'd say he's one of the most unique voices to come forth in some time. his bassist is phenomenal.

Hey Deb, I'm sorry I didn't see you there, I was down front giving Billy some pointers ;-)

It was truly a great show, while I have Billy's DVD's one doesn't quite experience the smae impact as seeing him live with a band. Billy has such a great command of the instrument and it is inspiring to watch. He does some very innovative things that just fit so well. Some of those tunes require great chops, and some require great taste, he melds them both together seamlessly. Really, very impressive.

I also liked Louie Appel and the guys, he is really one solid  and entertaining drummer too.

Hannah Ford

Because of rehearsals in Chicago on Friday I did not get to see Billy on Thursday night in NY.

I did however fly into NY on Friday evening and I got hang some with Billy at the Modern Drummer Festival and see him play there on Saturday.

I'm always blown away by his creativity and expressive style of playing.  He knows how to combine the perfect ingredients to create wonderful music and a great performance.

In addition to being a great musician, Billy also has a great personality and willingness to share his knowledge with others like myself who aspire to become the player he is.

Great musician....great guy!

Thanks BILLY!!

Hannah