• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

On QVC - TONIGHT 10pm EST

Started by David Crigger, October 07, 2008, 05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Crigger

Hi folks - just a last minute heads-up...

For anyone who can pull themselves away from the debate, Burt Bacharach's band is doing live 30 minute broadcast on QVC promoting the new CD we recorded earlier this year with the Sydney Symphony. It's happening tonight at 10pm EST - and it goes out live nationwide so adjust for your time zones accordingly.

Oops - gotta go soundcheck - bye

dc

Bart Elliott

I'll be watching ... thanks for the heads up!

Bart Elliott

Great job David ... you all sounded wonderful.

Classic line for the night ... an elderly, female caller phoned QVC live, and when asked about what she thought of Burt Bacharach she said, "I may be 70, but there's still smoke in this chimney."  ROFL

David, I didn't see you wearing your Drummer Cafe T-shirt. ;)

Plooker68

Very nice.       That sounded great.    Burt seemed to have some smoke in his chimney for the hostess...lol.   He asked for another hug, I was rolling on that one..oh Burt, you swarthy dog.     Nice playing David, good job.
     It was interesting finding out about Burt's background and career.    It was a good watch.     ;)

David Crigger

Thanks guys.

BTW for anyone interested that missed as a result of my last minute post (and/or the debate), QVC has the whole thing viewable online. Goto:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.F06325.desc.Burt-Bacharach-Live-in-Sydney-CD-w-Bonus-CD

then select the VIDEO tab and press play.

dc

jnyman

David--  I just followed your link and the site said, "sold out"!!!

Good for Burt... bad for CriggerFans...   ;-)

Chip Donaho

Quote from: Bart Elliott on October 07, 2008, 09:39 PM
David, I didn't see you wearing your Drummer Cafe T-shirt. ;)
Ya, what's with that? I even wore mine to see Weird Al and Bermuda play. ;D

David Crigger

Quote from: jnyman on October 10, 2008, 03:05 AM
David--  I just followed your link and the site said, "sold out"!!!

Good for Burt... bad for CriggerFans...   ;-)

John -

Just tried it and seemed to work fine - maybe try it again, or just go to qvc.com and navigate there yourself by searching for "bacharach"

QVC can't really sell-out until they actually order the quantity they want manufactured which won't be for another week or so. It's a presale before release, so no CD's except the few they had on the show have even been pressed yet. :-)

dc

David Crigger

Quote from: Chip71 on October 10, 2008, 07:49 AM
Ya, what's with that? I even wore mine to see Weird Al and Bermuda play. ;D

Though I think Burt enjoyed posing with me in my Drummer Cafe shirt earlier this year - he surprising hasn't yet made the jump to requesting them as a band uniform. Go figure - I thought it would an obvious choice.  :-)

dc

Bart Elliott

Chip Donaho

Thanks Bart, that's a great shot.  8)  It's nice to know that Louis and I aren't the only old drummers on this site.  ;D

jnyman

David-- it's working for me now, too. Huh. Ghosts in the machine.

I dug the "Drummer Cam" for the BIG MARKTREE DRAG!!!!

jn

Bart Elliott

I was meaning to ask you about the Guiro ... when you were playing that, didn't I hear some Hihat or Shaker (eighth-notes) going on at the same time? Was that in the pre-recorded track? 

diddle

very nice, David... very tasteful drumming!

David Crigger

Quote from: Bart Elliott on October 13, 2008, 10:39 PM
I was meaning to ask you about the Guiro ... when you were playing that, didn't I hear some Hihat or Shaker (eighth-notes) going on at the same time? Was that in the pre-recorded track? 

Yeah, the laptop is generating a drum machine part and clicks for me - that's why I'm wearing headphones.

In order to have me play the guiro for four bars solo before the drum machine comes in, I programmed the computer to play 5 bars of clicks prior to the drum machine entrance - one bar count-off and 4 bars for the quiro solo. The guiro continues over the 1st half of the verse and then I stop, while the drum machine part keeps playing through the second 1/2 of the verse. Then as I play the fill on acoustic drums leading into playing the chorus, the drum machine stops automatically.

Not in this QVC arrangement, but in the regular arrangement - the clicks continue through the chorus, and the next verse and chorus, allowing me to stay "in sync", so that in the arrangement's coda, I'm able able to bookend with the intro and have the guiro accompanied by the drum machine return.

We came up with a few of little computer enhancements like that, which are kinda sprinkled throughout Burt's otherwise very organic (I'd say acoustic, but there is a lot of synth playing happening throughout) show.

dc

David Newman

Bart Elliott

Quote from: David Crigger on October 14, 2008, 02:08 PM
In order to have me play the guiro for four bars solo before the drum machine comes in, I programmed the computer to play 5 bars of clicks prior to the drum machine entrance - one bar count-off and 4 bars for the quiro solo. The guiro continues over the 1st half of the verse and then I stop, while the drum machine part keeps playing through the second 1/2 of the verse. Then as I play the fill on acoustic drums leading into playing the chorus, the drum machine stops automatically.

I thought the programmed drums sounded very nice, enough to the point that it sounded live with the guiro.

Sounded really great David ... really great.

I love Burt's music to the point that it practically brings me to tears from the melodic beauty alone. I personally think he's a musical genius.

Erk

Wow David, that was some beautiful drumming. It must be so cool to play with a legend like Burt. By the way, did you have any charts programmed on the MAC? I saw you looking at the screen a few times..

Again, great job man.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: EML89 on October 14, 2008, 04:51 PM
By the way, did you have any charts programmed on the MAC? I saw you looking at the screen a few times.

I think most of us know that he was actually hanging at the Drummer Cafe during the gig; perhaps checking this thread.  ;)  Technology is a wonderful thing.  ;D

David Crigger

Quote from: EML89 on October 14, 2008, 04:51 PM
Wow David, that was some beautiful drumming. It must be so cool to play with a legend like Burt. By the way, did you have any charts programmed on the MAC? I saw you looking at the screen a few times..

Again, great job man.

Nah, no charts on the computer. (As a technology, paper is still far less hassle and a lot more reliable then computers). I was probably just double checking it and repeating my little silent prayer in hopes that when I actually pressed play, it would do just that. Moderately terrified of having a "minor computer malfunction" on _live TV_.

Also my music stand is usually there - there was a column sticking out into the set right there that really didn't leave room for both music stand and the computer. And the computer wasn't optional - and in this setting (with those four songs) the music stand would have merely been a security blanket anyways. So I may have been glancing at the music that wasn't there - who knows? :-)

dc

Chip Donaho

Quote from: David Crigger on October 14, 2008, 05:12 PM
So I may have been glancing at the music that wasn't there - who knows? :-)
Nice to know I'm not the only one who does that.  :D