• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Hannah Ford & Louie Bellson together this weekend! NEW PICS POSTED 10/18/08

Started by Hannah Ford, October 09, 2008, 07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannah Ford

After performing on stage at The Percussive Arts Society International Convention with Louie Bellson at the age of only 8 years old, Hannah was immediately captivated not only by Louie's ability to play, but his ability to inspire.  And inspire he's done!  Not just Hannah Ford, but an entire world of music and musicians have been inspired by the work of Mr. Bellson. 

Hannah could not be more honored than to have the opportunity to bring her Peace Love & Drums Clinic to the Louie Bellson Heritage Days Festival along side Mr. Bellson himself.

Make plans to attend this magnificent event!

Michael Beechey

Wow!...what an honor! Congratulations!

The first drum clinic I ever went to was his, in Toronto, cerca 1967....he inspired me to change from drumcorp to drumset.....I remember he had a single stroke roll like a hummingbird, so delicate and graceful....and he was an innovator in double bass drums.

He was what would be considered now a real old-school gentleman, impeccable suit, a really kind, humble/soft-spoken and gentle soul.

Hannah Ford

Quote from: Michael Beechey on October 09, 2008, 01:05 PM
Wow!...what an honor! Congratulations!

The first drum clinic I ever went to was his, in Toronto, circa 1967....he inspired me to change from drumcorp to drumset.....I remember he had a single stroke roll like a hummingbird, so delicate and graceful....and he was an innovator in double bass drums.

He was what would be considered now a real old-school gentleman, impeccable suit, a really kind, humble/soft-spoken and gentle soul.

Hey Michael,

Thank you so much for the kind words.

Your description of Louie is dead on still today.  The Impeccable suit, the kindness, the humble /soft-spoken and gentle soul....it's still as strong today as it was in 1967.

The only words that keep coming to me over and over is....I'm honored...

Thanks again....

Hannah

Todd Norris

Sweet!  I wish I could be there!  Tape it for DVD!!!!!

PS:  When can I get your sticks????

Hannah Ford

Quote from: Drum4JC on October 11, 2008, 12:49 AM
Sweet!  I wish I could be there!  Tape it for DVD!!!!!

PS:  When can I get your sticks????

Hey Todd,

I'm hopeful that someone today gets a great copy of this event on video.  Louie is 84 now.  I had dinner with him last night.  Our discussions about his past and about my future were amazing. 

After dinner we went out into the hall way of a Holiday Inn and put together a "Salt Peanuts" "Salt Peanuts" brush routine for the clinic today.  lol

It's truly unbelievable the things I get to do, the people I get to meet and the places I get to go because of music and drumming.

Just another little chapter in my very blessed life.

Hannah

PS:  Send me a note to my email address regarding sticks

Erk

NY Frank

Hannah Ford

Quote from: EML89 on October 12, 2008, 10:46 AM
Hannah, does Louie still teach?

I guess it depends on how you mean. 

I get the rare opportunity when I'm with Louie to spend quality time with him one on one in conversation.  Everytime I get that opportunity I learn so much from him. In that sense yes he's still teaching.  Does he do sit down lessons?no.

Louie is 84 and suffering from Parkinson's Disease.  This weekend he couldn't even sign autographs, but when Louie and I were playing on stage together the gleam in his eyes as I looked over my cymbals to my right was undeniable.  He still really enjoys sitting behind his kit and playing especially along with younger, up and coming players. 

Kind of a long answer to a simple question.  The answer is both yes and no.  A conversation with Louie is very educational if you let it be.  Does he teach students at the kit anymore....I don't believe so.

Thanks for asking a great question.

Hannah

Hannah Ford

Quote from: New York Frank on October 12, 2008, 11:46 AM
Anyone capture video?

[Hi, Hannah]

Hi Frank....how ya mending??

There were video cameras all over the place!!  I'm sure there will be something coming out of the event soon.

I'll keep you posted.

Hannah

Erk

Quote from: Hannah Ford on October 12, 2008, 11:38 PM
I guess it depends on how you mean. 

I get the rare opportunity when I'm with Louie to spend quality time with him one on one in conversation.  Everytime I get that opportunity I learn so much from him. In that sense yes he's still teaching.  Does he do sit down lessons?no.

Louie is 84 and suffering from Parkinson's Disease.  This weekend he couldn't even sign autographs, but when Louie and I were playing on stage together the gleam in his eyes as I looked over my cymbals to my right was undeniable.  He still really enjoys sitting behind his kit and playing especially along with younger, up and coming players. 

Kind of a long answer to a simple question.  The answer is both yes and no.  A conversation with Louie is very educational if you let it be.  Does he teach students at the kit anymore....I don't believe so.

Thanks for asking a great question.

Hannah

Yeah I bet a conversation with him is just as valuable as drum lesson, thanks for answering.

NY Frank

Quote from: Hannah Ford on October 12, 2008, 11:47 PM
Hi Frank....how ya mending??

Hi Hannah,

I'm making progress, but it can never go fast enough for me.
Thanks for askin!

Dave Heim

Quote from: EML89 on October 13, 2008, 01:36 PM

Yeah I bet a conversation with him is just as valuable as drum lesson, thanks for answering.

You speak the truth.

Back when I was just a pup, I played in an 18-piece big band.  We saved our gig money throughout the year and put on a concert every other year or so.  For one of those concerts we brought in Louie as a guest star.  (I had the privilege of doing a drum battle with him on Flyin' Home - suffice to say he went easy on me!) 

During the two days Louie was in town with us for the show, I had the opportunity to have a couple of meals and many great conversations with him.  He was very soft-spoken, warm, funny and humble.

This was taken before the show - 1977-ish. . .

Hannah Ford

WOW Dave!!

That is an AWESOME pic...HOLY COW...

Hannah Ford

Hey ya'll....I just wanted to put up a couple of pics from this past weekend with Louie Bellson.  I can't begin to put in words how emotional the entire weekend was and how thrilled I was to be asked to perform there.  We have many more pics that will be up soon on the website and myspace pages.

The first pic is of Louie and I practicing for a "Salt Peanuts" brush routine we did together.  The next two are just random shots of my performance that day.

Hank Gagnon

reading about stuff like this , really inspires . thanks and wow what a oppurtunity for you.

Erk

Are you good at brushes, Hannah? I love playing with brushes. Louie does a lesson on the new Hudson Music brush DVD, it's pretty sick.

Hannah Ford

Quote from: EML89 on October 20, 2008, 09:47 AM
Are you good at brushes, Hannah? I love playing with brushes. Louie does a lesson on the new Hudson Music brush DVD, it's pretty sick.

Am "I" good at brushes?  I guess it depends on who you ask. lol

I am definitely getting better at brush work but it takes a lot of practice, a lot of listening and a LOT of application to become a really good brush player. 

I think I still have a very long way to go so ask me again in about 5 years.   ;)

Hannah

Erk

Right on, brushes have a lot to do with finger strength too. Just an overall muscle development of the hands/arms.