Topic: My Solo  (Read 1723 times)

Offline snaresoff

• Copper Member
My Solo
« on: October 13, 2008, 11:19 PM »
I have put together a short solo. I have been playing for just about two years. I don't get much time to practice about three hours of time on the set and a couple of hours on the pad a week. I have been trying to build a solo including some dynamic as well as time and groove,it has been quite challenging. It's not easy to discipline yourself not to blow all over the place when you sit down on the set,especially when the playing time is so restrictive.I don't know how to read music it has been difficult to learn rudiments and work out of books I am limited,I have started looking for a teacher,I feel out place starting at 38. Anyway I have great respect for Bart as well as the other members on this forum, I learn alot here at The Cafe. Any creative criticism that could help me balance out my playing or helpfull advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Crs http://www.zshare.net/audio/20509055c31f1ea1/                                 

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
Re: My Solo
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:08 AM »
You have some good ideas there, although I didn't hear much in terms of dynamics.
Not bad though.  :)
Soloing is just about the hardest thing to pull off behind the kit. So I'm wondering why you are working so hard on a solo and not concentrating on the kind of things drummers do 95% of the time?

Offline eardrum

• Cafe VIP
  • It's not too late to get better!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 02:16 AM »
For playing a short time with no formal instruction i think you are doing pretty well.  I'm no teacher but I'd give you a B.   Criticism: It sounds like you are doodling.  Many of us do that, especially as you say, when we don't have a lot of time to take a disciplined approach.  I for one don't like solos that just demo what one can do.  I need to hear song - theme, beginning, middle, end...

Like Chris, I'm curious where you are going.  Have you tried playing with other musicians yet?  That's the real test - can you keep good time and make the song (and other musicians) feel good?  Keep it up and get a good teacher if you can... Most of all, have fun.

diddle

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 03:30 AM »
that's a good start... again, I'll echo the comment about preparing your material with a beggining-middle-ending theme... which I didn't hear with your solo.

my suggestion is to use 1) more dynamics, such as softer at the beggining and louder at the middle, and back to softer for an ending... with perhaps a "tripple f" tag at the end... but there are NO rules on this... just musical expression.

I'd also use a "groove" that can pull everything together... so the way that would work is to start with the groove, make your "opening statement", back to groove, then make your "peak statement", then back to your groove... then make your "ending statement" ... but all of this is artistical expression so do what you feel but play it like speaking a sentence!

Schlagzeuger

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 09:38 AM »
I'd also use a "groove" that can pull everything together... so the way that would work is to start with the groove, make your "opening statement", back to groove, then make your "peak statement", then back to your groove... then make your "ending statement" ... but all of this is artistical expression so do what you feel but play it like speaking a sentence!

I agree with those sentiments.  There needs to be something to set the tone.  I also think some consistent time keeping throughout some of the solo (such a thumping bass or hi-hat chick) would help with the structure.

Keep it up!

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:22 AM »
Remember the song "Color My World?" You should be painting a picture of yourself.... What do you want to say?  ;)
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

Offline snaresoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Thanks for the response guy's. Chris, I regularly practice with metronome. I try do dig as deep of a pocket as I can and stay there no fills. I wanted to use this solo exercises to try to articulate my ideas with some clarity and some  sense of measured structure based on what I have taught myself so far...I'm try-in bro.Eardrum, I watch videos here and on other sites to see how the sticking is performed so I can learn rudiments,kinda crude but I am getting it slowly.I have played in a jazz trio open jam. I learned a couple of standards very basic, my goal is to be able to drive the train without these guys running all over me(ha-ha).Thanks Diddle and Schlagzeuger I will give it a try. Chip I am gonna try singing it to myself see if it helps.

Eardrum mentioned that I sound like I was "doodling" I sort of get that. This might be another thread but how do you play with more conviction and authority? The obvious that comes to my mind is really owning what you play I guess. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for your support and guidance. Crs :)

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:42 PM »
It sounded like you owned what you played to me.
I think this harks back to the solo construction thoughts some respondents had.
Your goal is to develop a theme in your solo, or tell a musical story.
'Doodling' to me is where you are playing unconnected phrases with no direction.
Mind you, all this solo structure and story telling is very advanced IMO.
 ;)

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram