Topic: What Kind of Zildjians or Sabians should I check out?  (Read 1345 times)

felix

What Kind of Zildjians or Sabians should I check out?
« on: December 01, 2008, 02:07 PM »
Hello.  I need some help because I'm thinking of buying a new set of cymbals.

I'm probably wanting a 17, 18 and 20" (this should dbl as a crash that mixes well with the 17 and 18).  I'm thinking I might want a smaller china/pang also that is not trashy.  I have an 8" splash already (zildjian A that I like).  The sizes are not written in stone either.   :)

The sound I'm going for is a big thick/ball bearings on the floor type of wash/decay with a very high shimmer over the top.  The cymbals should have a good bell sound as that is important to me since I don't use many cymbals.  I might go with a med.- med. light weight as I am a bit burned out on light cymbals.  Heavy cymbals I hate.  I should get some sort of triad/chord thing happening with the three cymbals.  In the past I have liked sabian El Sabor cymbals and Zildjian A Customs (bells tend to be a bit not cutting enough on the crashes IIRC)

I need some hats too.  I love the sound 14" sabian rock sizzle hats but hate the rivets.  I heard some of the zildjian mastersound hats awhile back and thought they were nice.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

diddle

Re: What Kind of Zildjians or Sabians should I check out?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:00 PM »
I just ordered Sabian 15" groove hats... which are similar to my Sabian 14" HHX Manhatan Jazz hats which I love... so that's what I'd pick for you to buy  ;D

Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 03:38 PM »
I like the Sabian HH cymbals. There are some nice signature ones (Weckl etc).
Zildjian-wise my preference is for plain K series.
I would personally play any new Zildjians before buying too.
Sometimes you end up liking a model you would never think of.
For example, I A/B'ed some Armand hi-hats, K hi-hats and K Light hi-hats. I ended up preferring the K Light hi-hats even though I've used the standard K's for 20+ years.
All the hi-hats sounded nice btw, the 'Light's' just edged it.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Chris, I found the K Light HHs had too much wash in them, but it's an interesting thin alternative to the A's, which are simply way too brilliant for me. I guess what's more interesting is we pretty much own the exact same cymbals and have almost identical taste in cymbals, so now I'm curious about more details on what you liked about those hats.

Felix, have you looked at the mid-sized K Chinas? Their sound is more ... savory, not at all trashy, and they have a great tone in the bell. The mini-china is also a fav. Wish I had one!

Also, if you're a Sabian HH cymbals, you also owe yourself a visit to the local UFIP dealer. The make some interesting rich-and-glassy sounds that I'm surprised aren't the rage of studio drummers everywhere. Maybe their decay is a bit slower than preferred, but I think they sound gorgeous.

equipmentdork

• Silver Member
  • When you least expect it, expect it!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 01:54 AM »
It's all opinion, but I've used Sabian AA Medium-Thin Crashes for the last 20 years.  I will ride on the 18" one and even play the bell(a la Ringo).  Some have suggested other brands; if I were you, I'd check out anything and everything!  The latest Meinl's are great, as well as the UFIP's I've heard over the years.

Another suggestion is to take familiar cymbals with you as you try new ones out, so you're not totally in a new world.  Of course, this can make some shopkeepers nervous, but IMO it's worth it to have a basis for comparison.

Dan

felix

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:18 AM »
Hi Gaddy.

Yes I had an awesome 17 K china that I sold to Peter Jeffereries awhile back- one of my dumber moves.  It was a brilliant finish also.  Just a fantastic instrument.

I have played lots of Sabian HH's and they always seemed very heavy to me.  But I think I'm bordering on finding a crash set up that is going to be a tad trashy and slow in response- might check out the K's also- K's and rock are kind of a conundrum to me.  But I've seen Chris make it work quite well in the flesh and I will give them another serious listen.  Very expensive. 

I have time to swing by the drumshop today. Yaaay!

Hmmm. I forgot about my 21" zildjian dry heavy (Yuk) and my 20" bosphorus ride. I think I can play the bosphorus and it might work as a decent crash now and then IIRC.  The bosphorus is nice cause it's one of those partially lathed deals and really does have a nice bell sound.

Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 01:59 PM »
I have time to swing by the drumshop today. Yaaay!
Hang on buddy, try some of my old Paistes out. Nice bell too.... I have a shop in mind about 15 minutes away. You'll be like a kid in a candystore.  ;)

diddle

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:50 PM »
I just bought a Sabian Hand Hammered HH 22 Manhattan ride today fom Craigslist... I love it!

Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
  • Psalm 150:5
    • Fusion Drums
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 10:27 PM »
Hey Felix,

You mentioned shimmer so the A Customs and AAX should fit that.  The Sabian Vault series and HHX Evoluton models should fit in there as well.  I love those. 

As for UFIP.  I have one ride and it's a gem.  The wash just sounds very "pure" to me.  Very clean.  I imagine crashes would be similar.  Oh, it's in the "Brilliant" line. 

Keep us posted!

EDIT:  Here's a video of the UFIP. 

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=5850828]http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=5850828  

diddle

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 08:09 AM »
What do you guys think about having a mixture of brilliant and natural finishes?  I prefer having all my cymbals with natural finish but havn't been able to do that...

felix

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 08:14 AM »
I liked the A Custom Rezo crashes ALOT

http://www.zildjian.com/en-US/products/default.ad2?catalogID=1010&useID=0&typeID=0]http://www.zildjian.com/en-US/products/default.ad2?catalogID=1010&useID=0&typeID=0

And I naturally gravitated towards the Sabian Vault "Fierce" hats- awesome sounding and Jo Jo plays them too!  I didn't know that.

http://www.sabian.com/EN/products/Fierce_Hats_13.cfm]http://www.sabian.com/EN/products/Fierce_Hats_13.cfm

felix

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 08:16 AM »
What do you guys think about having a mixture of brilliant and natural finishes?  I prefer having all my cymbals with natural finish but havn't been able to do that...

I try not to think.  It gets in the way of a lot of things.  If you want them all brilliant/nat. and/or are going for a cohesive look- awesome.  If not, awesome.

NY Frank

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 07:20 PM »
Well, did you buy anything?

felix

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 07:01 AM »
Oh heck no.  I did bump into the salesman on at a venue this past weekend and we talked about how awesome the REzo crashes were.

I don't know.  My dad is giving me some money for christmas.

I'm still up in the air about new cymbals.

But thanks for asking Frank!

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram