Topic: Look whose sleeping in my bed!  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Look whose sleeping in my bed!
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Just a figure of speech ... and it's not my bed! ;D

Over the last few years I noticed that Modern Drummer, rather than running and/or monitoring a forum of their own, has provided a link to the Harmony Central drum forum. It wasn't that MD was posting a link to the HC forum, but rather the link (actually a button) gave the impression that when you followed the link you were going to go to MD's forum. So I just assumed that MD, rather than having their own forum, would just use HC's forum. Not a big deal. If you value a service that someone else offers, and you don't want to reinvent the wheel, why not point people elsewhere?

In case you didn't already know this, Harmony Central, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, Music 123, Woodwind & Brasswind, Toys 'R' Us, FAO Schwarz, the list goes on and on ... they are all owned by one global private equity firm; Bain Capital Partners, LLC.

But here's something new I've recently stumbled upon.

First, MD is no longer pointing to HC's forum, in fact there's no link to any forum. Okay, big deal right? But here's what's new. Harmony Central is now publishing articles from past issues of Modern Drummer magazine. Wild.

I was caught off-guard when searching on Google and saw that Rick Mattingly and Rick Van Horn were writing articles/reviews for HC. I thought "whoa!" ... but then noticed that these were actually reprints (with MD's permission of course) from past issues of Modern Drummer.

Interesting.

Drum Magazine has been posting their backlog of articles from past magazine issues for close to a year now. I guess Modern Drummer wanted to do the same thing, but chose to use HC's well established internet presence instead of their own site. It certainly benefits Harmony Central / Musician's Friend / Guitar Center, etc., since they now have more product reviews and articles without having to actually write them in house.

Drum Magazine and Drum Channel have partnered up as well and have been very public about that.

It's going to be interesting to watch how these relationships develop and interact. With the economic times that we now live in, it certainly makes sense to build these kinds of equitable relationships.

As a consumer, however, I think it's important to be made aware of these partnerships/relationships and secret rendezvous ... which is why I'm speaking out.  I want to know if someone is promoting a product or service from a biased or unbiased position. Is there business credibility or conflict of interest.

I'm not implying by any means that there is some sort of wrongdoing or shenanigans going on between said companies. I'm simply informing you, the consumer, that there are strong alliances between companies in the drum/percussion industry; your purchases/support strengthens those relationships.

Offline Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
  • Psalm 150:5
    • Fusion Drums
Re: Look whose sleeping in my bed!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:02 PM »
Interesting.  I knew MD pointed to HC and that HC is not MD's site.  But I didn't know of the other links.  It can get tricky to determine who owns whom and in what percentage. 

Maybe you can get MD to point your way?  :-)

Offline Bill Bachman

• Cafe VIP
    • facebook.com/billbachmandrums
    • remotespeedyhat.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 11:23 AM »
Wow, there's all kinds of shananegins (sp?) going on. Everyone seems to be in a scramble to figure out something that actually works. Times are a` changin.
Inventor of the Remote Speedy Hat: remotespeedyhat.com
Now offering SKYPE drum lessons!

Offline drummercous

• Cafe VIP
  • A good name is more desirable that great riches
    • Cousinotes/Cousins of the Water
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:38 PM »
In the business world, these kinds of things happen all the time, and they seem to go in cycles. Managers dont get paid to sit still, especially in trying times. They don't always try new innovative things, but often re-cycle old ideas. So you see a cycle of mergers followed a few years later by divestiture or 're-focusing on the core business'. Periods of innovation followed by partnering or leveraging other peoples successful businesses instead of building your own, its part of the business cycle.

Speaking of innovation... i love my Remote Speedy Hats!

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram