• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Vinnie anybody

Started by Doug Tann, January 02, 2009, 11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Heim

Quote from: Doug Tann on January 09, 2009, 06:57 PM
Re: Weckl the perfect Corea drummer..for the Electric Band...no arguments..Three Quartets....Steve Gadd....Nite Sprite..Steve Gadd....Leprechaun...Steve Gadd..Lenore...Steve Gadd....Humpty Dumpty...Steve Gadd

And let's not even mention R.T.F. (Although Steve Gadd was the original drummer in Return To Forever)

It's all still good

Cheers

Doug

Three Quartets with Steve Gadd:  one of my favorite pieces of music!

Doug Tann

Did someone ask us to get back to Vinnie...

Enjoy this..Toronto 1990

felix

Nice cherry recording customs.

Todd Knapp

Quote from: felix on January 12, 2009, 01:38 PM
Nice cherry recording customs.

He gave them a sound thumping, he did.

Todd Norris

One of my fave Vinnie videos is the Buddy Rich  Memorial with Weckl and Gadd.  Wowzers! 

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

My first introduction to Vinnie. I'm not ashamed to say I've used that opening hi-hat lick many times (because at the time I thought it was the height of hip).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NYx5O8M2Yo

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

More on that ALF jingle ... notice the second time through Vinnie rides quarters on the bell while playing "&s" with the left-foot hi-hat. The groove itself hasn't changed, but the rhythm has an interesting new twist. Just one of the many little Gadd-influenced flourishes Vinnie does in a pop setting that first endeared me to him. Subtle and nuanced ...

lrac3

gotta love us drummers, man...leave it to us to discuss the nuances of the ALF jingle!  :D

Doug Tann

I actually bought the bootleg dvd of Vinnie playing all the chasers from the Joan River's t.v. show. 4 hours of 30 second blowing

Cheers

Doug

lrac3

nice Doug! i've been tryin' to search for some of that on youtube.  i was able to snag the A Customs demo video feat. Vinnie when I was workin' @ a music store.  He plays some of the Jing Chi catalog on it.

Doug Tann

If you have a Mac you can use I Squint to capture youtube video and save it.  I've got tons of Vinnie on video

Cheers

Doug

lrac3

sorry mac, i'm a pc!   ;)

David Crigger

Quote from: Doug Tann on January 14, 2009, 08:10 PM
If you have a Mac you can use I Squint to capture youtube video and save it.  I've got tons of Vinnie on video

Cheers

Doug

Doug,

Don't you mean TubeSock?  I use iSquint all the time for squishing movies onto my ipod - but don't think it can do the "suck files off youtube" thing.

Also for everyone saving stuff off youtube - particular music stuff - be sure you're viewing the "high-quality" feed, not the "normal quality" feed. Even when there's little change in the picture, there's always a huge change in the sound.

dc

Doug Tann

Re:  Ripping movies form youtube via I-Squint (Mac Only)

1) Find a video you like
2) click on window
3) click on activity
4) find the biggest file (Always in mbytes..never in kbytes)
5) double click on  that file
6) a window opens that says "get video"
7) when the video is loaded on your desk top open I-Squint
8) rename the file as desired and drag into I-Squint
9) Follow the on screen prompts for auto loading into I-Tunes (If you wish)

Nice and easy..I've ripped everything on Vinnie and Tony this way and have it on my video file on one of my 500 gig Lacie's.

Good luck

Doug

lrac3

One of my favorite Vinnie videos is the Sting Ten Summoner's Tales VHS.  Does anyone else own this? Basically the band performs the entire album in a studio @ Sting's place over a 24 hour period.  The only downside is that most of the performances are overdubbed with the album tracks, but its still a treat nonetheless.  The most exciting track on the video IMO is Seven Days, which is not overdubbed & you get a chance to hear Vinnie do his thang.  The video has yet to reach DVD format, but here's a link to purchase a preowned copy of the VHS (for those of you who still own a VCR)
http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Summoners-Tales-Sting/dp/6302714125/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1232222894&sr=8-5

Todd Norris

Hey, it looks like the early Patitucci stuff is out-of-print so I downloaded his self-titled album and the "On the Corner" album.  Of course, I don't have liner notes so can someone clue me in on who drums on each track?  Thanks.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: Drum4JC (Todd) on January 22, 2009, 11:35 PM
Hey, it looks like the early Patitucci stuff is out-of-print so I downloaded his self-titled album and the "On the Corner" album.  Of course, I don't have liner notes so can someone clue me in on who drums on each track?  Thanks.

Get the first one (self-titled) and the third one (Sketches? Sketchbook? I can never remember). On the Corner was ... OK save for a few special moments.

I remember Vinnie playing on Avenue D, which is pretty good "Vinnie stuff" track. Not legendary, but a good representation of what he's about. Weckl lays down some fohn-kay programming on A Better Mousetrap. Did Vinnie play on Flatbush Ave? I ripped that CD a long time ago and stuck the case in a box somewhere, so I don't remember anymore!!!

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

OK, just ran through the tracks. Here's the way I remember it:

1. On the Corner - Weckl
2. Avenue D - Vinnie
3. Venetian Moonlight - Can't remember ... maybe Erskine
4. A Better Mousetrap - Weckl
5. Vaya Con Dios - Possibly Alex Acuna ... I recall him on a track or two here
6. Kingston Blues - Vinnie
7. Painting - Acuna again I think
8. Strength to the Weak - Don't remember, but I think that's Richard Tee on keyboards, which is always cool
9. Flatbush Ave. - Weckl
10. Storyteller - ???
11. Bertha's Bop - Almost positive it was Erskine

If you get Patitucci's first one, you not only get Vinnie killing it on several tracks, but you get Erskine playing some AMAZING stuff on Searching, Finding ...

http://www.last.fm/music/John+Patitucci/John+Patitucci

Todd Norris

Cool, thanks.  Yeah I want to get the Sketches or Sketchbook whatever it is too.  Very cool albums.  I like the GRP output from that time period.  Be sure to check out "The Sun Was In My Eyes" on Eric Marienthal's Crossroads CD.  Terry Lynn Carrington rips it up! 

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: Drum4JC (Todd) on January 23, 2009, 12:03 PM
Cool, thanks.  Yeah I want to get the Sketches or Sketchbook whatever it is too.  Very cool albums.  I like the GRP output from that time period.  Be sure to check out "The Sun Was In My Eyes" on Eric Marienthal's Crossroads CD.  Terry Lynn Carrington rips it up! 

Already got it! Vinnie was on that disc, too, so ... ;)