Topic: Keeping Time at Ludwig  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Keeping Time at Ludwig
« on: May 26, 2009, 05:06 PM »
If you haven't done so already, check out Dave Heim's article.  http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-articles/keeping-time-at-ludwig-by-dave-heim.html]Keeping Time at Ludwig  is a great story of Dave's experiences as an employee of the Ludwig Drum Company from 1976 to 1983.  

If you already read the article, prior to today, check it out again as I've added several new photos that Dave has supplied.

Thanks for sharing your story with us Dave!

Offline Jim R.

• Cafe VIP
Re: Keeping Time at Ludwig
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 05:51 PM »
Great article Dave! I just read it earlier today. I brings back a lot of memories for me of looking at the Ludwig catalog and any companies. Its cool to see how you must feel such of part of drum history being able to work there. Thanks for the story....I hope that you'll be able to share more stories about working there later.
I'm just stumped about the fact that....you play DW's?!?!?!  :o

So much to do, so little mind.

Offline Bermuda Schwartz

• Honorary VIP
    • BermudaSchwartz.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:23 PM »
Very cool Dave, I almost feel like you were there!   ;D

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 07:14 AM »
Dave, the DNA results are in, and you..........ARE the father of this drumkit!

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 07:26 AM »
I realy don't think he'll admit that do you? Could that be him in the background?  ;D
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Great article Dave! I just read it earlier today. I brings back a lot of memories for me of looking at the Ludwig catalog and any companies. Its cool to see how you must feel such of part of drum history being able to work there. Thanks for the story....I hope that you'll be able to share more stories about working there later.
I'm just stumped about the fact that....you play DW's?!?!?!  :o

Um, yeah, about that. . .
Before, during, and for some time after my employment with Ludwig I played nothing but Ludwig drums.  Their generous employee discount made the decision even easier!  But discount or no discount I really liked their stuff.  The drums were well made and the hardware was reliable and innovative.  But in the early 80s after the Selmer deal and the relocation to North Carolina they seemed to be struggling with quality issues.  IMHO it happened because they lost a lot of long-time craftsmen in the move.  It took them a while to ramp back up.  

A few months after I left Ludwig I received a call from Dick Richardson, the Ludwig/Musser VP who hired me at Ludwig.  Dick had left Ludwig after the Selmer deal and went on to become president of Slingerland, also based near Chicago.  He invited me to lunch, to tour the factory, and to check out the new Magnum line of hardware.  The afternoon ended with me ordering a set of Slingerlands (Buddy Rich configuration in mahogany finish) and with Dick putting me on as an endorser.  

For the next few years I did clinics at local independent music stores (remember those?) extolling the virtues of my new Slingerland drums and their Magnum hardware.  Well, Gibson eventually bought Slingerland and essentially stuck the entire company in a corner and threw a tarp over it.  It was about this time I was in the market for a new set, so I bought DW.  I also looked at Sonor and Yamaha.

Today Ludwig drums are back among the best out there.  I still have a nice collection of Ludwig snares and hardware, as well as one of the sets I bought while I was there: 20 bass drum with 10 and 12" rack toms and 14 and 16" floor toms in White Cortex.  I'm also piecing together a jellybean Vistalite set from single VL drums I find here and there.  I still keep in touch with some of my friends from the Musser, Kitching, and Ludwig plants. I still get excited when I look at and play their new products.  So, no doubt - I'm still a Ludwig guy at heart!
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 10:11 AM »

Hey!  You can't prove that!  Nobody saw anything!  :)

Nice set!  And nice Farrah Fawcett poster!
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Very cool Dave, I almost feel like you were there!   ;D

:)

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram