Topic: Community drum solo 2009!  (Read 22155 times)

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
Re: Community drum solo 2009!
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2009, 05:08 PM »
How I came up with what I played?  Hmmmm.....  Well, I'm not the funkiest guy in the house, and struggled to land in the pocket with anything that sounded decent, so I figured I'd try to do a little 3:4 sort of vibe.  It's not as blatant as I had hoped, but oh well.

Here's my Ludwig rig.  It's my "regular" gig kit and the one I used for the vid.

PS:  Thanks again to Bart.  I know this thing is a labor of love(?).  I certainly appreciate your efforts.

Offline Hannah Ford

• Cafe VIP
    • hannahforddrums
    • hannahforddrums.com
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble viewing this?? It is really choppy and the audio and video are not in sync.

However, I did get through the audio but not able to match everyone up before I gave up on it.

That being said, I have to say for what I have heard/viewed so far ...which isn't much.
IMHO
Hannah Ford kicks some major ass and came up with a really unique approach to this track, great bass drum work and kept it all grooving.

I haven't been able to check out much else because of the sync issue. Maybe there are too many people watching it??

Anyway... Really Nice job Hannah!!!.. I am looking forward to hearing/seeing the rest of you.
-fb

Awww, thank you Frank!  WOW......I really appreciate the kind words.  Looking back I wish we would have taken a little more time, used a "real" camera and got just a little better quality on the audio. 

It was still 15 minutes of great fun!!

Thanks again!  You made a kids day...:)

Hannah
Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah Ford

"Life's a Stage...Perform It..."

Offline Matt Self (Gaddabout)

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2009, 05:28 PM »
I'm frustrated enough with how I let the ending go I'm going to reshoot this weekend and post it on YouTube. How about that?
Odd meter isn't broken. It doesn't need to be fixed. - David Crigger

Offline dizz

• Cafe VIP
    • Bobby Vincent
« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I'm frustrated enough with how I let the ending go I'm going to reshoot this weekend and post it on YouTube. How about that?

Maybe someone with the editing capabilites that Bart has can take the pressure off Bart who Im sure keeps busier than alot of us.  Then we can do more community songs inside a year.  I have audio software and would do it for audio tunes, but no video gear except a borrowed camera lol

Then we could do that Gaddy.  But really, they're never gonna be perfect and your solo was cool.  I especially like the groove cowbell/hat pulse behind the conga solo ;)
-------------------------
Edit:

Just wanted to note-
I love your gear Scott Budnik !!

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

Offline Mark Counts

• Cafe VIP
  • It is OK to be a little Nutz!!!
    • Mark T. Counts
« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2009, 08:48 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble viewing this?? It is really choppy and the audio and video are not in sync.

IMHO
Yes Frank,
I had some issues with the choppy video and the audio not being in sync but I got through it twice. Some really cool stuff going on out there. Really enjoyed You, Dave and Bart. Some cool stuff this year. It may have just been sample time or my computer updating slowly. I don't know, haven't had that problem before. Bart, thank you for all your hard work on the road. Great fun again this year. As always, I really enjoyed Gaetano, Hannah and the cool stuff Gaddy and Todd did.  Dizz, enjoyed your solo and set up. Good to see Jon and Robyn play. Thanks to everyone, we made it happen again ;D.
                                        Nutty
I love The Cafe. "God First". If there is music today, it is a great day".
"Tama Star Classics and Paiste cymbals for ever" !!!

Offline Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
  • Psalm 150:5
    • Fusion Drums
« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2009, 09:52 PM »
My set up was every drum in Todd's house we could fit on a rack.

I came up with my part by starting playing every possible thing wrong, looking at the clock, and thinking, "Hmmmm. I should probably lay something down that actually sounds like it's within the same pulse and meter." And I still blew chunks on the ending.

Ladies and gentlemen, Todd on the conga solo. *crowd goes crazy*

BTW, yes, I'm 15 mos. pregnant.

Well actually, we still had a bunch of pipeband drums and a few snares lying around...  And we only used about half the cymbals too!  The kit is a Pacific CX in fusion sizes with an add-on 16" floor.  Cymbals.  Sabian HH Bright hats, 16" and 18" Sabian Vault crashes.  Sabian HHX splashes. 18" Wuhan china.  22" Bosphorus Wide Ride.  22" Dream Bliss (Type 1) with 3 rivets.

As for what I played?  Ugh, I finally found a nice groove (thanks to Matt's advice) but then I forgot to do anything else with it!  Oh well. 

frankbriggs

« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2009, 09:56 PM »
Awww, thank you Frank!  WOW......I really appreciate the kind words.
Thanks again!  You made a kids day...:)
Hannah

uhh..You did great Grasshopper. Wish I could see all of it.. the video isn't working at all for me.

Frank Briggs: what lick was that?  Sounded like rapid fire assault. :D

That was number 4 (out of 5)

I think I figured out which audio track you are Dizz.. nice stuff. I am going to wait until I can actually view it all in sync.

Matt... I would just chill on it. This is all for fun. I am sure it is fine. I couldn't get past Hannah's performance. Gaetano sounds great also.. but I expected that.

It is nice to see the girls involved, we need more.
chow for now.
-fb

Offline Nathan Cartier

• Cafe VIP
  • Cooking, Gaming, Drumming
« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2009, 10:14 PM »
I'm stuck with the Hilton Hawaii's terrible internet, so it'll have to wait til I get home next week.  I managed to hear most of it before the feed totally crapped out.  Love it!

My drums are Pearl Export Select from about 1996.
Yamaha Absolute Maple snare.  
Aquarian Coated Super-2s on the toms, Classic Clear resos
Texture Coated with a power dot on the underside for the snare
SK1/Force 2 combo on the bass
Zildian 20" K Custom Dry Ride
Sabian 14" Vault Hats
Sabian 16" AAX Studio Crash
Sabian 18" Signature Saturation Crash
Zildjian 16" Oriental China

I used a single shure KSM 27 just above my head angled at the kit.  It sounded alright, and I was pressed for time.  Mixed the audio and video in Sonar Home Studio.

11 bars is not a lot of time.  Trading 2's seemed like a good way to break it up, 2 bars of groove, 2 bars of solo, repeat, hit the ending.  I got a few ideas that I liked and went for it.  

Offline Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
    • Fusion Drums
« Reply #208 on: May 12, 2009, 10:27 PM »
Forgot to mention my "trash hats".  12" ozone splash on top of a 12" wuhan china. 

I've watched it all twice now.  Wow there's some great playing in there!  Aside from the obvious amazing stuff submitted by our resident pros (Hannah, Gaetano, Frank, David, Bart etc.) I really liked Dizz's performance.  Plus, I like his dog!  Great job folks!

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
« Reply #209 on: May 12, 2009, 10:37 PM »
Maybe someone with the editing capabilites that Bart has can take the pressure off Bart who Im sure keeps busier than alot of us.  Then we can do more community songs inside a year.  I have audio software and would do it for audio tunes, but no video gear except a borrowed camera lol

I work at a TV station, edit on linear digital AVID, and have carte blanche use of all the equipment and even the studios on the weekend. Yes, I could do it. If someone came up with a good loop and enough people wanted to do this sooner rather than later, I'd be happy to put it together. I'd be happy to do this for Bart next year, assuming I'm not laid off by then (looking for some wood to knock on).

I especially like the groove cowbell/hat pulse behind the conga solo ;)

Oddly enough, I really could have used MORE COWBELL.

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
« Reply #210 on: May 12, 2009, 10:39 PM »
Matt... I would just chill on it. This is all for fun. I am sure it is fine. I couldn't get past Hannah's performance. Gaetano sounds great also.. but I expected that.

I need to put together a clip file, anyway, so I'm just going throw this one in as one of several. Honestly, though, that ending is going to eat me up until I fix it. LOL I got it right when I played with Todd .... garrrr.

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
« Reply #211 on: May 12, 2009, 10:43 PM »
Forgot to mention my "trash hats".  12" ozone splash on top of a 12" wuhan china. 

I've watched it all twice now.  Wow there's some great playing in there!  Aside from the obvious amazing stuff submitted by our resident pros (Hannah, Gaetano, Frank, David, Bart etc.) I really liked Dizz's performance.  Plus, I like his dog!  Great job folks!

While I'm in this thread, I have to say special thanks to Todd. Here's what he did for me:

- Fed me (gooooood sandwiches)
- Had the kit already set up
- Had the camera ready to go
- Had the music cued up (with double headphones)
- Cut up the takes and sent them to Bart.

All I did was show up. This guy, Todd, he's very cool.

Offline Mark Counts

• Cafe VIP
    • Mark T. Counts
« Reply #212 on: May 12, 2009, 10:45 PM »
It was great a great pleasure being a part of this with all you folks 8).

Guess I'll list all my gear even though I only played on a few pieces ::).

6 piece Tama Star Classic Birch, Mod Oyster Orange with Evans Coated G2's
Witt Percussion-Flame Red Lake Superior Birch 6X14 steam bent Snare With Evans Reverse Power Dot
8in Paiste 2002 splash
12in. Paiste Sound Formula splash
14in. Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi Hats-Bottom is Black Label Vintage and the top is black label Anniversary
15in. Paiste 2002 Crash
16in. Paiste Sound Formula Thin Crash
17in. Paiste Sound Formula Power Crash
18in. Paiste 2002 Black Label Vintage Crash
18in. Paiste 2002 Crash
18in. Paiste 3000 Nova China
18in. Paiste Signature Thin China
19in. Paiste 2002 Crash
20in. Paiste 2002 Black Label Vintage Crash
22in. Paiste 2002 Ride
24in. Paiste 2002 Ride
Tree Works-Chimes
Cow Bell
Wood Block

I used a Digital Samsung Standard Definition Camera and the stereo condensor Mic.
 Didn't use the PA for anything but Head Phones. I didn't mic at all.

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #213 on: May 12, 2009, 11:10 PM »
Anyone having problems with the video/audio sync probably needs to update to  http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/]Flash Player 10 .

FYI ... some of the weirdness is the fact that solos were recorded a low quality settings or rendered as such before sending them to me. I had to convert Hannah and Robyn's solos from AVI to MOV just to get them to play in the timeline. I may need to do this with several other solos to clean up the overall look a little more. Once I get everything ironed out, I'll go public with the community solo, posting it on Facebook and airing it on Drummer Cafe TV. I probably should have waited to post the video, but I knew that we were all anxious to see the final result.  ;D

Offline Hannah Ford

• Cafe VIP
    • hannahforddrums
    • hannahforddrums.com
« Reply #214 on: May 12, 2009, 11:30 PM »
Ok...I'm back again...no more rehearsals tonight....no more compositions or transcriptions....Shewwww, now I can spend a little time here with friends.  lol

As usual the community solo is a huge success.  All the players added their own personal blends of groove and technique. It's simply the coolest thing. I've only gotten to go through it a couple of times and I"m getting ready to watch it a couple more....

Dizz you played great, but your dog showing up in the video is CLASSIC!

Todd and Matt...it was awesome you guys teamed up I really liked that idea.  Matt your solo was fine...:)

It was awesome to see some more Girl Power this year...glad you decided to send one in Robyn!  

Nutty...SWEET KIT!  You going to make it up to INDY for PASIC this year?

Gaetano, Frank, Crigger & Bart...WOW!  Don't know what else to say....

Like I said I'm going to watch a few more times to see the others I like too!  Everybody just did AWESOME...

My kit???  Well, like I said we were on our way to a gig and just threw together a much smaller version of my ROCK/FUSION set....

Gretsch Renown Maple
10 & 12 inch rack toms......Evans EC2 Batter Heads
14 & 16 inch floor toms......Clear Genera Reso's
22 inch bass drum.............Evans EMAD II
Gretsch
5 x 14 Hammered Brass Snare....Genera HDD Batter
                                            Hazy 300 Reso
                                            Puresound Wires

Zildjian Cymbals
14" New Beats Hats (Brilliant)              
18" Armand Thin Crash + 10" Armand Splash   
19” K Custom Hybrid Crash    
20" Ping Ride
22" A Swish Knocker
34" Gong

Gibraltar Hardware with Gibraltar Intruder Chain Drive Pedals

The vid was shot with my Dad's FUGI digital camera....lol

Not going to list anymore stuff that was in the video....all done.

Hannah

Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah Ford

"Life's a Stage...Perform It..."

Offline Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
    • Fusion Drums
« Reply #215 on: May 12, 2009, 11:48 PM »
While I'm in this thread, I have to say special thanks to Todd. Here's what he did for me:

- Fed me (gooooood sandwiches)
- Had the kit already set up
- Had the camera ready to go
- Had the music cued up (with double headphones)
- Cut up the takes and sent them to Bart.

All I did was show up. This guy, Todd, he's very cool.

Aww Shucks man!     ::)   We were way overdue for a hookup and we had a lot of fun hanging out.  I'm looking forward to our next jam session.  And maybe next time my son won't be so shy and will want to play his pipeband tenor drum with us too!

Offline eardrum

• Cafe VIP
  • It's not too late to get better!
« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2009, 01:58 AM »
Excellent job folks!  Thanks for doing this Bart.  I'm sorry I couldn't get to it this year. Hopefully next time.  Doing the video is great even with the choppyness...

Looking forward to more. 

Offline Mark Counts

• Cafe VIP
    • Mark T. Counts
« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2009, 06:53 AM »
Anyone having problems with the video/audio sync probably needs to update to  http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/]Flash Player 10 .

That did seem to help some Bart. Thank you.
Nutty...SWEET KIT!  You going to make it up to INDY for PASIC this year?

Thank you Hannah for the complement on the kit and yes, I am planning on going this year. It is only a 2.5 hour drive for me. Hope to see some DC members there?

Offline Robyn

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2009, 01:31 PM »
I had to laugh watching myself play, in w/ all these other creative and dynamic players!  Wow--have I learned a lot watching all you guys! I will say however, that I'm pretty happy w/ what I came up with, as simple as it was, considering I've been playing drums almost 6 years.

My bigger concern was this:

Me: Do these jeans make me look fat?
Him: Yeah. Put on the other ones. (bless his honest heart..)
Me: (looking at video) I still look fat.
Him: (shrugs) Camera adds 10 pounds.  ::)

Nutty, I love all your cymbals! Wow! Same w/ Todd's set up, w/ 2 hats?  :o  Really enjoyed Matt and Todd's solo too.  And Dizz's really stood out to me.  All of them were well done!

robyn
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too, can become great.           ~Mark Twain

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2009, 09:56 PM »
Okay ... I'm rendering the video again. High definition isn't working out when original solo videos are in standard definition. As soon as I get this uploaded I'll let you know. Live and learn.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram