• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Community drum solo 2009!

Started by Gaetano Nicolosi, March 07, 2009, 12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaetano Nicolosi

Hi DC friends!
Believe it or not I think it's about time for our annual community solo! What do you think Bart? Are we doing it this year?

Gaetano

Mark Counts

Quote from: Gaetano Nicolosi on March 07, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hi DC friends!
Believe it or not I think it's about time for our annual community solo!
Wow, a year goes by fast!!. I am into it. Thanks for asking Bart, Gaetano. Ready to try
out some new equipment :o.
                       Nutty

NY Frank

Whenever it is time, I'm hoping by then to have something real this time to record it with.
I'm looking to acquire a Zoom H2 at some point so that I can record myself frequently - and
when I stop puking into a pail over the results :)  - to be able to post some of that stuff
for when I'm music networking.   These days, when people ask me - do you have any clips
of you playing - I don't have a very good answer.  :)      um, er, well...

Bart Elliott

In the past we haven't started the community solo until April, but I've been thinking of announcing it in a few weeks with the beginning of spring.

So to answer the question ... YES ... I'm planning on us having the community solo again, and every year, as long as the Drummer Cafe is around.

eardrum

Sounds great. I was too busy with work last year but would like to get in on the fun this year. 

Help: I can't find a link to last years comsolo.  I checked the TV section, no luck.  I could be blind and it's staring right at me. Suggestions?

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Bart,

I know coming up with the loops can be something of a challenge. You think Billy might donate some material, maybe loop eight bars of one of his tracks? Just an idea. I know the real monster challenge for you is getting all the submissions lined up ....

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Gaddabout on March 07, 2009, 04:51 PM
I know coming up with the loops can be something of a challenge. You think Billy might donate some material, maybe loop eight bars of one of his tracks? Just an idea. I know the real monster challenge for you is getting all the submissions lined up ....

Billy actually does his own community play-along ... and I have already made plans for this years community project. Thanks for thinking of me though!

felix

Can we have something straighter this year whether it's in three or two so we can really do some shredding if we want?

I need the practice  ;D and I really feel like playing some notes this year.

Bart Elliott

felix

That would be awesome Frank.  You, Mr.A, David Crigger and Doug Tann... I think I might have to pass this year  ::) ;D

eardrum

No stinking way you get a pass Felix!!

Mark Counts

Quote from: eardrum on March 11, 2009, 03:00 PM
No stinking way you get a pass Felix!!
Yea Felix,
You have to play some notes this year?? Wouldn't be the same without the world greatest drummer. I am going to put more time into it this year. I have a new wife that supports it and some equipment to try out. Starting to get excited just reading about everyone talking about it.
               Nutty

JeepnDrummer

I now have a recording interface and mics, so I think it's about time I get in on this.

Todd Norris

So Bart, what do you have in mind?   ;D  May as well spill the beans! 

I have an interesting idea that I want to try... 

Erk

wish i could participate, but have no mics or recording equipment..:/

NY Frank

Quote from: Erk on March 13, 2009, 02:01 AM

Neither do I, and I participated last year.  :)

If you can get your computer into the same room as your kit, that
and a cheapie mic, and your in business.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Erk on March 13, 2009, 02:01 AM

Keep in mind that the Community Solo is now in a video format ... so you now only need a video camera. Perhaps you can borrow one. Or use a webcam.

Mark Counts

Quote from: Bart Elliott on March 13, 2009, 08:10 AM
Keep in mind that the Community Solo is now in a video format ... so you now only need a video camera. Perhaps you can borrow one. Or use a webcam.
Hey Bart,
Is it possible to just mail you an 8mm tape or does it need to be converted into some other format?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: drumnut1 on March 13, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hey Bart,
Is it possible to just mail you an 8mm tape or does it need to be converted into some other format?

I just don't have time anymore to pull footage from tape like I did in years past. I need the submissions to come electronically in some sort of video format. I'm sure you can find someone that can help with that if you can't do it. And for a very small investment, less than $50, you can purchase a device (with software) that will take an analog signal and run it via USB to your computer. If the camera has USB or Firewire, you can import it to your computer and send me the file. I'll edit the file; I just don't have the extra time to import the footage from a tape. If you get stuck, perhaps I can make an exception.  ;)