• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Community drum solo 2009!

Started by Gaetano Nicolosi, March 07, 2009, 12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Counts

Quote from: Bart Elliott on March 13, 2009, 08:57 AM
And for a very small investment, less than $50, you can purchase a device (with software) that will take an analog signal and run it via USB to your computer. If the camera has USB or Firewire, you can import it to your computer and send me the file.
There are a few places that I have used locally to convert Tape to digital format but to keep using them and paying them, I would have to agree that it would be cheaper in the long run to just buy the soft ware. Thanks Bart

Erk

Quote from: Bart Elliott on March 13, 2009, 08:10 AM
Keep in mind that the Community Solo is now in a video format ... so you now only need a video camera. Perhaps you can borrow one. Or use a webcam.

bart i do have a video camera...so how would i go about uploading the footage?

Bart Elliott

Check your camera's instruction manual to see how you can import your video footage from the camera to the computer. If you can do that, you'll just save the video as a .MOV, .WMV or the like.

We are still a few weeks away from starting the community solo. I'll be providing all the details at that time. I also give everyone a good month to record their solos, so there's plenty of time.

To get a feel for it, if you can't wait, do a search for past threads on the Community Solo, like the one from last year. You'll find most of the instructions from last year will be the same for this year, with the exception of the tempo and play-along track that we'll be using.

Gaetano Nicolosi

Quote from: felix on March 11, 2009, 11:56 AM
That would be awesome Frank.  You, Mr.A, David Crigger and Doug Tann... I think I might have to pass this year  ::) ;D

Show some triplets Felix, first class all the the way!

It's great having you participate this year Frank!

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

I can GUARANTEE I'm in this year, just not sure in what way yet.  ;D

dizz

Is Video manditory for participation?

What about a still?  I have no video capability but I can record audio.

I am really looking forward to this too!

Bart Elliott

Quote from: dizz on March 13, 2009, 11:38 PM
Is Video manditory for participation?

What about a still?  I have no video capability but I can record audio.

I am really looking forward to this too!

Check out last years community event. We had video and audio (with stills). It's all good! You can just record your solo and send me a still shot to use. If you don't provide a photo I get to provide one for you ... and you don't want that! See last year's solo to see what one guy ended up looking like. hahaha

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

So ... what time signature? We're sort of due for a 3/4 aren't we? That would set up my inevitable excuses ...

"No, I wasn't missing 1, I was playing over the bar ... Felix's bar."

eardrum

And I was flat under the bar.........

Patrick Quigley

I've missed this the last two years, I HAVE to get in on this year's solo.

Hannah Ford

Hey Guys,

Count me in!!

Hannah

felix

My licks are getting particularly dangerous this year.  Wonder what kit I should use?

I actually have quite a knack for playing in 3 I found out in school so that wouldn't bother me.

7/8 is the tough one for me.  Don't make the loop in 7/8- please!

Straight 4 would be great- nothing but click then everyone could just blow their heads off and it would be easy for Bart.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: felix on March 26, 2009, 06:42 AM
Straight 4 would be great- nothing but click then everyone could just blow their heads off and it would be easy for Bart.

You're right, it would be a lot easier for me editing wise ... however, using only a click track really defeats the whole purpose of why I started the "community" solo. I'd like us to do something more musical, together, and bring the community together with more than just a cowbell marking quarter-notes.  8)  Sorry

felix

I'm over it  ;D  I don't know why it defeats the purpose of a community solo tho'- not to debate you my friend, I just don't see it that way- at all.  The "community" is going to be there whether a loop is or not. 

Personally I have no problem making a drum solo sound "musical" by itself.  Now that actually puts alot of responsibility in our laps without having a loop "crutch" to act as the music/groove device- my opinion obviously

But It's your show! of which I luv and respect! PEACE!!!!

Ok back to our regularly scheduled program  :)

Bart Elliott

Quote from: felix on March 26, 2009, 03:24 PM
Personally I have no problem making a drum solo sound "musical" by itself.  Now that actually puts alot of responsibility in our laps without having a loop "crutch" to act as the music/groove device- my opinion obviously

Well, I understand, I'm sure you are quite capable, but not everyone is a soloist.

My point is that if we only use a click (ie. cowbell), it's still a free-for-all with only the tempo in common. I am not a huge fan of drum solos to begin with. I don't see a point to taking a bunch of free-for-all solos and connecting them together. The performers have no idea what other performers are doing, so there's no cohesion. For me, community implies cohesion.

The thought of 20+ drum solos strung together into one long solo makes me want to hurl (sorry).

Let's take a vote. The "community solo" is for the community, not me personally.

Voice your opinion. Do you want a click track (eg. cowbell) to solo to, or do you want some sort of a loop to play along to?

Chip Donaho

Sorry guys/gals....But I would prefer to just cut loose with whatever comes at the moment. I'm known to go with whatever comes across my mind. I may jump from one tempo to another on a whim. Then back to what I started with and onto another beat completely. I tend to mix things up in a solo. I may start with something that sounds similar to Wipeout and go to something similar to Rascals. Or even a fast shuffle to the end. I like leaving people going  :o

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Hmmm. I thought the coolest thing about the solo was Bart's challenge with the track. Open solo? Meh. Boring. We don't have a lot of Dave Weckls among us, and even Weckl loses me after two or three minutes.

NY Frank

Absatively vote for a loop/tune - not just a click/bell.

It's about music, brothers and sisters.

kmaley

Quote from: Bart Elliott on March 26, 2009, 03:45 PM

The thought of 20+ drum solos strung together into one long solo makes me want to hurl (sorry).

I agree with Bart on this.
I vote loop.

Totally random but is there a reason Felix's solo always follows Gaetano's ;)

Bart Elliott

Quote from: kmaley on March 26, 2009, 05:56 PM
Totally random but is there a reason Felix's solo always follows Gaetano's ;)

The solos are typically placed in the order I received them. There have been times that I've moved a few around for musical and/or technical reasons. Other than that, it's random.