• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Community drum solo 2009!

Started by Gaetano Nicolosi, March 07, 2009, 12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Okay ... here's the newly rendered video ... this should (hopefully) solve all the sync problems with the playback. No longer in widescreen 16:9 but now standard 4:3. Make sure you've cleared your browser cache.

http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-articles/community-drum-percussion-groove-solo.html]http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-articles/community-drum-percussion-groove-solo.html

eardrum

Frank,
Were those Blushda's on for the final flurry?

Mark Counts

Quote from: Bart Elliott on May 13, 2009, 11:04 PM
Okay ... here's the newly rendered video ... this should (hopefully) solve all the sync problems with the playback. No longer in widescreen 16:9 but now standard 4:3. Make sure you've cleared your browser cache.

http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-articles/community-drum-percussion-groove-solo.html]http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-articles/community-drum-percussion-groove-solo.html

That fixed it. I had tried to load Adobe upgrade and Explorer 8. Now I  can see Gaetano's sticks connecting when I hear it ;D.  Much better.
Quote from: eardrum on May 14, 2009, 01:44 AM
Frank,
Were those Blushda's on for the final flurry?
Yea, That was fast and now that I can see what is going on a bit better David Crigger has got some of that going on too.

It really goes to show how different people hear things. Everyone came up with something different..That is really cool 8).

Mister Acrolite

Great job, everybody!

Next year I'm bound and determined to participate - I was sidelined this year by hernia surgery (no fun - I don't recommend it), but I hope to join the ranks of all these fine drummers next time around, for a slice of video posterity.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on May 14, 2009, 06:29 AM
Great job, everybody!

Next year I'm bound and determined to participate - I was sidelined this year by hernia surgery (no fun - I don't recommend it), but I hope to join the ranks of all these fine drummers next time around, for a slice of video posterity.

We had dizz, who I secretly suspect is your brother.

Get well, Keith!

Bob Dias

Wow,
After listening/watching that, my inferiority complex just grew 3.5 sizes.
Well done everyone and especially Bart for putting it all together.

My kit (though not fully exploited):

Ash Stave: 6x12, 8x14, 12x16 toms, 16x20 bass, 5x13 snare.
Heads: as recorded, old Fiberskyns all around (yuck, so they got changes to shiney new Aquarian Studio-X's/classic clears and the SKII/regulator bass combo today)

Cymbals:  16',17",18",19" Sultan Crashes; 14" Sultan Hats; 21" Bos NewOrleans ride; 21" medhvy Turk ride; 22" Agop Turk China

My groove/rut: My blues band (HRB) plays a stripped-down version of "Hey Pocky Way".  The beat I play on that seemed to fit. So, there you go.

ll 4/4 l: MUSTgopractice :ll ...Bob

frankbriggs

Quote from: Bart Elliott on May 13, 2009, 11:04 PM

Thanks Bart,
I can view it now.. in sync.

I hope everyone had a good time doing this... I certainly did and was happy to make it in.

I thoroughly enjoyed everyone's contribution. Dizz is a sick man. Bart David and Gaetano are a little ill as well.

I really dug the female contingent. Hannah rocks and I liked the obvious pleasure as she flips the beat around. It is always the drummer who has the most fun doing that.. have you noticed?:)

Robyn.. nice job and very much in the spirit of Harvey Mason's original performance and you look HOT:)

Matt .. great to see you playing bro.. chill, I dug it, the duet with Todd is a nice touch.
Jon ... I stole that lick.. THANKS!

Mark.. A bit of Mike Clark influence, very nice.

Pier.. What a cool setup, I like the poly rhythms and the little tom with the black dot head.. reminds me of Zappa..

Scott.. What is that kit man?? I want one.

Bob Nice, I used to be an electronics nut, nice concept too!

Nathan has a nice pocket going on and I like the setup for the final figure...very cool.

Bob has another interesting kit.. what is that?

Tom's kit sounds great.. the bass drum is huge sounding... very Bonham-like in sound and performance.

I need a DC t-shirt. That was a nice touch David.

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this everyone. I am proud to be in this with y'all.
Looking forward to the next one.

Keith, I had that hernia operation about 10 years ago, thanks to hauling a trap case around for decades. The doctor told me I would feel a "little" discomfort. Hurts like hell doesn't it?
Get well and try not bend too much. You gotta do this next time around.

My set up

Drum Workshop
10, 12, 14 toms
20" kick
Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic snare

Istanbul Agop Sig cymbals
15" Istanbul Agop traditional hats. (I also have a set of 14" inch that I love)

eardrum.. not blushdas.
I guess that would be 32nd note paradiddle-diddles (Philly Joe jones style)
RLRRLF phrased in 3. if that doesn't make sense to you I will write it out sometime and post it.

Thanks everyone.. what fun!
-fb

dizz

Gaetano, you have a really nice sound going.  And very clean execution.  I saw those heads at the local store and they sounded pretty good.  I am also a huge fan of Istanbul cymbals.  Nice polished stuff :)

Jon E, those are some nice Ludwigs there huh.  Toms are very warm and resonanty.  With your groove choice and cymbal set up, I had thoughts of Manu Katche running through my mind. 

Hannah, Great natural stage presence and solid play.  You really got something good going keep it up!  I'm a fan!

Mark you have the prettiest tama wrap I have ever seen!  With those new heads and pretty cymbals I bet you love to get back there and make noise.   Do you have any close up pix of that wrap?

Robyn, your relaxed touch on the drums will serve you till the end.   Nice solid playing :)

Frank, you have to let the cat out of the bag on those licks  8)  Very heady stuff.  What is the crash cymbal at your 10 O'clock?

Pier, I love that splash cymbal.  Nice melody.  The whole kit got love on that one :)

Scott Budnik, I laughed so hard at that drum set haha  ;D  Good job getting those to sound like drums!

Bob Crowley Nice melodic sounding tom pattern.  Warm sounding kit choice.

Nathan, nice relaxed technique.  Looks like you have a heavy touch that lands right in the pocket.  Love the sound of that ride cymbal.  Is that one of those K's?

Matt, Mr A is a great looking guy  ;D

Todd, Is that one of your snares?  I cant quite tell what Im looking at there.  Is that some kind of RIMS rig?  Cool idea on the duet.  Nice job guys

Bob, I absolutely love your drumset.  Would have loved to seen video.  Nice choice of grooves for your submission.

Tom Roche, those drums are Massive sounding  -holy crap  I want to make some loops with that sound.  Hot stuff

David, I love that lick, Im going to shed on that one for a bit, its very tasty for its business.  Thanks very much for submitting a take!  I wish one of you awesome drummers lived near me, I need a teacher!

Bart, as usual you get some insteresting complicated stuff going on on such a minimalist set up.  I love those Fibes too man.   With the matching 6.5 snare is it?  Are those yammy mounts?

I can't wait for the next one.  Maybe we can get Matt to host one mid season or something  8)  You know, no 2 submission sounded anything alike.  How cool is that  /salute

I'd like to extend one more big thank you to our resident pros submitting their takes.  Means alot to us hobbiests

Nathan Cartier

Quote from: dizz on May 15, 2009, 12:19 AM

Nathan, nice relaxed technique.  Looks like you have a heavy touch that lands right in the pocket.  Love the sound of that ride cymbal.  Is that one of those K's?

Indeed, a 20" K Custom Dry.  Mahalo for the kind words!

Mark Counts

Mark you have the prettiest tama wrap I have ever seen!  With those new heads and pretty cymbals I bet you love to get back there and make noise.   Do you have any close up pix of that wrap?

Thanks Dizz,
Here is a shot of them that shows the wrap a bit better.

felix

Gaetano always plays (and sounds) so incredibly beautiful!

You really have a gift.

Like the new haircut pizan  First class all the way!   :D

I guess I will have to get a video camera for next year.   :(

Chip Donaho

Nutty, that color reminds me of my old "Mod Orange" Ludwigs I had in '69 or '70.
Sure wish I wouldn't have sold that set now.  8)

eardrum

Quote from: Frank Briggs on May 14, 2009, 12:58 PM
......eardrum.. not blushdas.
I guess that would be 32nd note paradiddle-diddles (Philly Joe jones style)
RLRRLF phrased in 3. if that doesn't make sense to you I will write it out sometime and post it.

Well it makes sense until I watch you play it!  YIKES, if this was a nuclear arms race, I'd be the Duchy of Grand Fenwick!

NY Frank

I was actually not going to listen to this year's, because it wasn't in my heart to participate, and I just wanted to let it go.

But - I just listened/watched.  God bless you all.  Great, great job.
I was I had joined in.

Great stuff.  Lots of fun.  Lots of music and art flowing from your hearts.

Very cool.

Gaetano Nicolosi

Wow I am so lost on this topic! I did not have a chance to check this out and post anything until now due to a family matter. I don't know where to start... ???

Quote from Dizz:
Gaetano, you have a really nice sound going.  And very clean execution.  I saw those heads at the local store and they sounded pretty good.  I am also a huge fan of Istanbul cymbals.  Nice polished stuff :)

Dizz thanks so much for your feedback! You sound great too! The black heads that you see are the new Onix from Evans, it is the first time that i use them and I love them!

Quote from Felix:
Gaetano always plays (and sounds) so incredibly beautiful!

You really have a gift.

Like the new haircut pizan  First class all the way!   :D

I guess I will have to get a video camera for next year.   :(

Felix, thanks for the kind of words... You are too nice! I wish you would participate this year, oh well definitely next year! I am glad you like my hair cut pizan (I don't really know what it means)

Thanks to you all that have participate, I really enjoy all of you!

Frank Briggs, I had not doubt of your amazing playing. I have your new CD China Range that I enjoy listening and never comes out of my car CD player, I am a big fan.

David and Bart, you both played great too.

Hannah, you do sound good and I always enjoy hear you playing.

Everybody sound and look good!

I am disappointed of my video quality, I must do some wrong (maybe not enough light, or something wrong when I rendered). Also, I just found out that my camera it is not HD, and that could be too.

John, what video camera did you use? I definitely can see a huge difference of the video quality, especially because your solo is right after.

Anyhow, here is my set up:

Drums:
Gretsch renown maple
Toms: 8", 10", 12", floor toms 14" and 16"
snare 14"x5"
Also on my left I had a steel soprano snare Mapex Pro 10"x6"

Evans drumheads:
Toms and Floor toms: Onix top and resonant on the bottom
Snare: G2 coated and Hazy300
Bass drums emad clear

Cymbals:
Istanbul Agop traditional
18" Paper Thin Crash, 16" dark crash, 18" medium crash, 14" regular hi-hat, 21" heavy ride, and 20" China Pang.
Sultan 14" crash

Alchemy
8" splash, 10" splash, and 14" rock hi-hat (on the right)

Ciao
Gaetano

Jon E

QuoteJon, what video camera did you use? I definitely can see a huge difference of the video quality, especially because your solo is right after.

It is a Canon Vixia HG20.  It is an HD camera(my wife is the techie at our house, maybe that's why I just play drums!!)

Bart Elliott

For those that wanted to be able to share your solo with the world, I've uploaded the community solo to YouTube. You can email the link or embed it on your web pages.

Hey Pier-Antoine (aka Autocrat) ... you're on the front cover of the video and have participated in several community solos now. How about supporting the Drummer Cafe, becoming a VIP member so you can post on the forum?!  :)

Bart Elliott

By the way ... anytime you watch a video on the Drummer Cafe channel on YouTube, please rank it and leave some sort of a comment. You'll be helping to great interest in the community by doing this.

There's always two rankers that hit Drummer Cafe videos; one always gives it 5 stars, and the other always gives it 1 star. Help create some reality and rank it the way you see it!  :)

Todd Norris

Todd, Is that one of your snares?  I cant quite tell what Im looking at there.  Is that some kind of RIMS rig?  Cool idea on the duet.  Nice job guys

Hi Dizz, yes, we used the prototype for the solo.  It sits on a mechanism that keeps the top head stationary while the bottom moves. 

Todd

David Crigger

Quote from: drumnut1 on May 14, 2009, 04:30 AM

Yea, That was fast and now that I can see what is going on a bit better David Crigger has got some of that going on too.

Great job - everybody!

So cool to put faces and playing with the names and the writings!

Plus just feels good to jam a bit with everyone - even if it is only in this virtual sort of way.

As for the 32nd notes in accented groups of 6 - there seemed to be a fair amount of that going around. Patterns based on outlining dotted 1/8th note rhythms came up a number of times (Not surprising really, considering the first three bass notes - after the pick-ups, of course).

From Jon getting us started his crosstick pattern, to Hannah's turn around back to the downbeat at 1:19; to Frank, a number of different ways, not just the fact groupings towards the end, but the cool unadorned dotted 1/8th on BD at the very end. Then Dizz's very nice take on what I think of as the "Billy Cobham lick" at 2:51. Then my, I guess. three dotted 1/8th variations - first shadowing the bass riff, then the "rock - hand and feet triplets" at 7:05 (not triplets but 32nd notes - L R F L R F), then the single stroke groups of six 32nds at the end.  Then there's Bart - who starts with a classic exploration of all things dotted 1/8th - including appearing to modulate the time to them as though they were 1/4's. Then at 7:37, he goes all "what the heck was that?" on us - before returning for some more groups of six 32nd's towards the end.

All in all, lots of different a varying takes on this piece - I just thought this one common thread was kind of cool.

For me, actually there was tie in the "What the heck was that" competition - as mentioned Bart at 7:37 AND Gaetano's lick at :26

Huh? What was that?

Very fun folks - can't wait to do it again.

David