Topic: Becoming a Succesful Musician  (Read 1386 times)

eardrum

• Cafe VIP
  • It's not too late to get better!
Becoming a Succesful Musician
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:55 PM »
I attended a master class with Peter Erskine and Alan Pasqua and young bassist Hans Bernhard last night. Great class. Peter and Alan talked about what it takes to be a great rhythm section, mainly in the jazz context. With the bass player they demonstrated a number of the things discussed. It was a great lesson in how to have a musical conversation. Excellent all around.

To my point: Looking at Alan's web page I came across this.  I think it's profound, not necessarily new, just important... particularly for the young ones trying to make a career in music...

Oh, by the way, Alan is just recently appointed head of the Jazz Studies dept at USC.

David Crigger

• Honorary VIP
    • www.davidcrigger.com
Re: Becomming a Succesful Musician
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:40 AM »
I'm so glad that doesn't embed cause there are bunch of other clips there that were great as well.

Loved this one by Larry Livingston:

Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
Re: Becomming a Succesful Musician
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 09:11 PM »
A gold plated resource.
None of this info was around when I was young.
I picked up some of these skills through failure, but I'm still learning now.
I would urge anyone interested in being a pro to watch 'The Importance Of Being A Well Rounded Musician'

Bart Elliott

• Super Admin
  • Founder & Owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Re: Becoming a Succesful Musician
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:39 AM »
This is all VERY good information. I've been working on putting something together, like these videos, here at the Drummer Cafe, as another resource.

Everyone, not just young people, should take time and watch these clips.

The music industry is changing daily, for many different reasons. Be ready!

MOUSE

• Cafe VIP
  • Hit me with rhythm, there is no pain.
    • Neil
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 02:54 AM »
Great stuff. I tried to learn piano and bass and failed miserably, my singing is bad, real bad, and my technical skills weak. I guess i'll never make it to the top of that pyramid they talk about, i can live with that and will i always give it my best, despite lack of talent,can't make me someone i aint, but i battle on because i want to. ::)
There are muso's in my city that have ability to put their hands to many things and yes they are the elite and get the gigs.i.e  Guitarists that sing, play drums and are wizzes on recording gear, etc.very talented.

For a budding muso i think the advice is very good, no question a little understanding of other instruments will make you a better musician. i have learnt enough basics of band gear and instruments that certainly helps me play better, and listen better as a muso.
Then "right place/ right time" element comes into play some too, to get noticed and climb the ladder. Bart said it, "Be Ready".

As an "only" drummer, IMO the concept can still be applied . Meaning  simply be versatile as you can with your instrument, learning all styles you can, then be adaptable to many playing situations, you will get the gigs and get noticed and perhaps some sucess.
The concept to put aside the technical stuff and just play is also very valid (once youv'e parradiddled yourself to death ;D) Expressing yourself helps develop a feel that no one else will have, that's why it's hard to be in a covers band, wearing 100 other drummer's hats in one gig. Secret is to relax.

I think i am a succesful musician, that's because everything iv'e done involving playing drums for the past 37 years has been fun.

There has to be someone at the bottom to hold up the top  ;D good luck to anyone who has the ability to get there. Bottom line is "it has to be enjoyable"

check out the Bio for Alan, ex rock star  8)
http://www.alanpasqua.com/biography.htm

Bart Elliott

• Super Admin
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Premium Resource Subscribers will want to also check out Bermuda's drum clinic. I have the complete one-hour clinic available ... and Bermuda spends most of his clinic discussing how to have a career in music.

http://www.drummercafe.com/education/video-footage/bermuda-schwartz-2009-clinic.html]http://www.drummercafe.com/education/video-footage/bermuda-schwartz-2009-clinic.html

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 12:13 AM »
USC has become a top-notch music school in a very short time. They've invested a lot of resources -- and they've done it wisely.

Mark Pedersen

• VIP / Subscriber
  • Love to Drum!
    • Drum Lessons PDX
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 12:13 PM »
All the above youtube clips are dead - just an fyi.

Bart Elliott

• Super Admin
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 12:55 PM »
All the above youtube clips are dead - just an fyi.

No they're not. The owner of the clips has their account set-up to not allow embedding. The Drummer Cafe forum automatically tries to embed the YouTube (and other sites) URLs for videos.

All you have to do is double click on the video and a new browser should open so you watch it directly from YouTube ... which is what the owner of the footage wanted.  8)

Mark Pedersen

• VIP / Subscriber
  • Love to Drum!
    • Drum Lessons PDX
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 01:04 PM »
Cool - thanks Bart! I just use Computers - I don't know what makes them work!

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram