• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

PASIC 2009

Started by Bart Elliott, June 13, 2009, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

November 11 - 14, 2009
Indiana Convention Center
Indianapolis, Indiana

http://www.pasic.org]www.pasic.org

The lineup will include more than 150 events on twelve stages featuring many of the world's best musicians on drumset, orchestral percussion, keyboard, world percussion, marching and more. Confirmed artists and presenters will be announced in July.

The convention's International Drum and Percussion Expo takes place Nov. 12-14 with more than 115 exhibitors showcasing the latest in percussion instruments, gear, publications and services.
The nationally recognized PASIC Marching Percussion Festival also takes place during the convention. This indoor festival features a competition of high school and collegiate drumlines and solo performers vying for top honors.

PASIC 2009 will mark a significant homecoming for the Percussive Arts Society. PAS moved its administrative offices from Oklahoma to Indianapolis in April of 2007 in an historic move that, for the first time in the organization's history, will bring together the offices, museum, library and international convention to the same city.

PASIC 2009 Confirmed Artists

Drumset
Sergio Bellotti
Jimmy Cobb
Steve Fidyk
Benny Greb
Skip Hadden    
Akira Jimbo      
Maria Martinez
Jason McGerr    
Felix Pollard
Tobias Ralph                
Joel Stevenett
Zoro and Daniel Glass

Evening Concerts
Tommy Igoe and Rolando Morales-Matos (percussion & vibes) with the Birdland Big Band
Ju Percussion Group
Percadu

Late Night Concerts
Curt Bisquera
Dick Sisto

Showcase Concerts
Amores
I Ketut Gede Asnawa
Maraca2 Percussion Duo
The Fujii Family
Eric Sammut

Education
James Campbell (Snare Drum FUNdamentals)        
Julie Davila (Keyboard FUNdamentals)
Diane Downs
Louisiana State University, Brett Dietz, director (New Literature for Percussion Ensemble)
Nick Petrella (Accessories FUNdamentals)        
Ed Shaughnessy (Drumset FUNdamentals)

Focus Day
Gregory Beyer
Roger Braun
David Carlisle
Alex Harmon
Bev Johnston
Anthony Di Sanza
Stuart Gerber
Lazlo Hudaczek
Susie Ibarra
John Lane
Lin Li
Payton MacDonald
Kordy Lasinska Pekala
Ryan Nestor
Don Nichols
Allen Otte
Dane Richeson
Fernando Rocha
Michael Schutz
Melanie Sehman
Heather Sloan
Andrew Spencer
Julie Spencer
Vanessa Tomlinson
Michael Truesdell
Dan Weiss

Health & Wellness
Free Hearing Tests        
Henrik Larsen                        
John McKinney
Allana Radecki    

Interactive Drumming
Steve Campbell
Mark Shelton  

Keyboard
Bogdan Bacanu              
Pius Cheung    
Christopher Deane  
Jay Hoggard
Nancy Zeltsman
Nebojsa Jovan Zivkovic

Marching
Lalo and Julie Davila
Danny Raymond
Sandi Rennick

Professional Development
Jeff Ausdemore      
Bob Breithaupt
Jonathan Haas

Research
Thad Anderson (poster presentation)
Andrew Bliss (paper presentation)
Stuart Gerber (paper presentation)

Symphonic
George Brown (Timpani lab)
Marc Damoulakis (Cymbal lab)
Braham Dembar
Christopher Deviney
Ian Ding (Keyboard lab)
Nicholas Ormrod (Snare lab)  
Christopher McLaurin (Symphonic Accessories lab)
Patrick Schleker  
Lee Vinson
Cynthia Yeh

Technology
Nathaniel Bartlett    
John Best          

World
Abbos Kosimov            
Layne Redmond
Victor Rendon
Rajna Swaminathan
Michael Truesdell
John Wooton

James Doyle

Should be a great PASIC with the new HQ and all.  Who's planning on attending? 

Bart Elliott

Quote from: James Doyle on June 16, 2009, 11:20 AM
Should be a great PASIC with the new HQ and all.  Who's planning on attending? 

As of right now, I'm planning to be there ... but no booth ... just attending and covering the event for the Drummer Cafe.

David Stanoch

I'll be there! Really looking forward to it, too!

Hannah Ford

Never miss it!

Hannah

Bart Elliott

Anyone else going to attend PASIC this week? If so, let us know. I'll be the guy in the Drummer Cafe t-shirt running around trying to capture and document everything.

Thus far it doesn't look like anyone is going to be available for "Drummer Cafe hang" ... so I'm probably going to crash the PAS Hall of Fame banquet and grab some photos and video footage there.

Bart Elliott

For those that would like to see my photos from yesterday (Thursday) ... here you are.

http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-article/pasic-2009.html]http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-article/pasic-2009.html

I only created a few labels to give you an idea of what's what. Full report will be later next week, but I'll be adding my photos each day.

Chonson

I dig the pictures of Daniel Glass (my teacher!) and Zoro. How was their clinic, Bart? I'm looking forward to hearing Daniel's take on it tomorrow.

Bart Elliott

Friday's photos where up early this morning; Saturday's photos should be available tomorrow (Sunday) morning.

I've got a LOT of video that will be available in about a week or so.

Mark Pedersen

Quote from: Chonson on November 14, 2009, 09:46 PM
I dig the pictures of Daniel Glass (my teacher!)

Lucky! I love Daniel Glass.

Funny thing, I never realized he was a lefty until Bart's pic's. The man knows his Drum history!

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Chonson on November 14, 2009, 09:46 PM
I dig the pictures of Daniel Glass (my teacher!) and Zoro. How was their clinic, Bart? I'm looking forward to hearing Daniel's take on it tomorrow.

The clinic with Daniel Glass and Zoro was excellent. They work well together; the clinic was fun and very informative.

Early in the clinic, Daniel mentioned Bonham's intro to "Rock & Roll" ... and asked the audience of hundreds and hundreds of drummers ... "what beat does Bonham's intro start on?" I bit my tongue but after five seconds of silence I shouted "THE AND OF FOUR!"  I wonder how I knew that?  ;D  I chatted with him a bit yesterday, as we hurried off to the DeJohnette clinic, and told him that it was I that shouted the answer. I should have asked him what I won for having the answer.  ;)  Daniel and I have corresponded a bit via email. I'm going to email him the URL to my video lesson on "Rock & Roll".

He seems interested in connecting with the Drummer Cafe, so we'll see. Everybody is busy.

I spoke with Sergio Bellotti while we were checking out of the hotel. Sergio also had a nice clinic; funny guy. He said that he searched Google to see if anyone had posted photos from PASIC. He found the Drummer Cafe and was appreciative of my daily uploads. Warmed my heart to hear someone enjoyed it. Sometimes you all are so quiet, I feel like I'm wasting my time to get this stuff out to you as it happens.  :-\

I've got to shoot an interview in Chicago tomorrow morning, Monday, and then head back to Nashville. I'll start getting all my video and full report ready; hopefully posting it later in the week. I've got around five hours of video to import, render, edit, etc., so we'll see.

Mark Pedersen

Quote from: Bart Elliott on November 15, 2009, 03:36 PM
. Sometimes you all are so quiet, I feel like I'm wasting my time to get this stuff out to you as it happens.  :-\

Believe me Bart - I appreciate all of your coverage for all the events you go to. We all have to live vicariously through you!! I never know what to say half the time anyway in person let alone on the boards.

Bart Elliott

PASIC footage currently airing on Drummer Cafe TV ... my 30-minute interview with David Stanoch from this past Saturday, plus a short video I like to call, Ludwig Drums - in Epic proportions, starring Pat Petrillo.

Larry Rankine

Quote from: Mark Pedersen on November 15, 2009, 05:25 PM
Believe me Bart - I appreciate all of your coverage for all the events you go to. We all have to live vicariously through you!! I never know what to say half the time anyway in person let alone on the boards.

So VERY true!  Mark speaks for a lot of us.

Can't wait to see your video, especially your interview with David!   8)

Susan Wood

Looking forward to video and pics!!

Gaetano Nicolosi

I came back last night from the Pasic! It was great to hang out with Bart in the past three days... You should see how fast he was running from one place to another to make sure that he could take pics and videos of pretty much everything was happening and posting to the DC. I hope you all will enjoy and appreciate everything he has done and keep doing for the cafe. He never stop working for the drummer cafe, he was up every morning at 6 am to load up ad edit pics and videos on the DC, and after the night concerts he would keep working until late 1 am. I certainly appreciate it the hard work, Thank you Bart!
It was nice like always to see again Hannah and her dad, and was a pleasure to meet David Stanoch and check out is new book that I like it a lot and I highly recommend it.

The convention was amazing as always, clinics, exhibit all to check out new product, meet with other friends that I don't see much (one of them was my dear friend Steve Fagiano). Also Daniel Villareall (I hope I spelled it right) that drove to Pasic from Chicago with Steve.. I meet Daniel a few years ago when I was judging for the annual drum contest that Steve Fagiano hosted, and Daniel played GREAT!!!!! At late night me, Bart, Steve and Daniel were at the hotel room playing rudiments, how crazy was that! Like we did not have enough to walk around all day, etc... But it was fun!
I  attended most  of the clinics, and I really enjoyed all of them, but in particular not matter how many times I see him live or DVD or listening on CD's, he always surprises me and make me almost quit to play drums (of course in a good way). I don't want to say the name, I would like that you guess who? All the clinicians were great, but this guy as been very inspiring to me for years and he blows my mind every time. Do you know who would be?

I have to go now, because I don't have much time to stay on the PC, but I'm I'll continue to talk about my experience at this last Pasic.

Ciao
Gaetano

Chonson

I talked with Daniel last night and he mentioned he'd caught up with you. I told him to keep an eye out for you since he'd told me a few weeks prior he was going to do the Led Zep thing at PASIC and I know you'd recently done a bit on it, Bart. I figured you might have some common ground to discuss and perhaps he'll show up on Drummer Cafe at some point (but I know he's been extremely busy of late & RCR is about to do an Aussie tour).

If you guys haven't checked out the book he did with Zoro - it's a good read (won in Drum magazine this year). We haven't even touched it yet in our lessons (I've been studying with him since February) but I've looked through it on my own and it's solid. He's a great teacher and has turned me onto a lot of stuff that I would have otherwise missed or taken forever to discover...

Definitely keep the stuff coming, Bart, it's been great to read. Love the coverage.

Hannah Ford

Hey DCr's...

WOW, what another great PASIC!! I LOVE these events....for most of us who are always so busy trying to get better at our craft or make a living in this crazy business, it's the only time we get to see each other. 

Always great to see Gaetano and Steve Fagiano.  In addition to hanging with the Artist Relations folks that I've grown to love so much.

We also got to spend some time with David Stanoch...again another quality individual that was obviously well respected by MANY at this event.

Benny Greb's clinic was awesome and I loved Mr. Dejohnette as well.  Akira Jimbo was unbelievable....and it just goes without saying that Virgil Donati was just CRAZY great!!!

After Virgil's clinic Dad and I went back up to the room to relax for a bit before the Vater Percussion Dinner hang....well I guess relax.  He did some promo stuff on the computer for an upcoming gig and I did jazz theory homework. LOLOLOLOL

Anyways, while I was working on my theory my cell phone went off and it was my friend Virgil!  He invited Dad and I over to his room for a visit before dinner. As I'm sitting in the room with Virgil Donati catching up, I couldn't help but realize just how really special my life is and how blessed I am to have the friends I do.

PASIC is not just about education, or great clinics etc, it's about a society, a family that has all the same things in common and a general care and concern for others.  It's just simply amazing.

To top this great weekend off Dad and I had the pleasure of spending quality time with Bart on the way back to Chicago.  Spending time on the cafe you can get some idea of what a great person Bart is....Yesterday's road trip with him was more than convincing he's not only passionate about his work but he's just a very good and very talented human being that I'm proud to call my friend.

Thank you Bart for all the great work you do here at the Cafe, and for your constant support, education and encouragement as my young career unfolds.

If there's anyone I forgot to mention I apologize...everyone hear is near and dear. :)  If you've never attended an event like this, I can't say enough about the value of them.  Make it a part of your drumming future.

Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah

David Stanoch

I just have a minute but I wanted to give a shout out to Hannah (& her father Dave) Ford, Gaetano, & Bart, all of whom I had the distinct joy of meeting face to face at PASIC. I was fun to interact with these special people, feel their good vibrations & let them know how much I appreciate their talents. You're all marvelous, my friends. I look forward to our next hang!

The Drummer Cafe is a special place and to see Bart working so hard to bring the information about the event to all who frequent here, to echo Gaetano, has to really be seen to be appreciated.

Bart is offering full run of the Cafe free to all during International Drum Month, which I thank him for. I've invited my students, most who don't have much in the way of money, to take advantage of that and I'd like to encourage anyone looking in who is not a member to consider the nominal fee it takes to become one and support this special place.

There are bigger websites, and some very cool & impressive ones for sure, but the DC, and all of Bart's selfless energy, only go to show us all that impressive isn't based on size, it's based on commitment.

Remember to repay the favor if you love (or even just really like) this place, folks. Just a thought. It's a LOT of work to maintain an operation like this.

PASIC 2009 was a fantastic experience for me as a player, a student, and educator. Very inspiring. I'm sure I'll be referencing it it the days ahead but I also may be absent a bit more than usual for awhile as I help navigate my family through some rough weather. Please keep us in your thoughts & prayers, and thanks to you Bart for your support. I greatly appreciate your interest and the forum and exposure you have offered me at the Drummer Cafe.

Here's to the future. Cheers all.

David Crigger

Sounds like lots of fun was had by all!

David and Bart - I just watched the interview on DCTV. How cool! I feel like I was just hanging, sitting on a couch in front of you - listening to you chat. Very enjoyable!

David - Loved your Ed Shaughnessy remembrance. Early on, I had a very similar run-in with Ed myself. I wonder how many other fledging pros Ed sent off on the right path by example of his open kindness and overwhelming humanity.

Thanks guys,

David