• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Making a 6-foot drumstick

Started by Bart Elliott, June 15, 2009, 11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Bizarre huh?

I am wanting to craft a 6 foot wood drumstick, around 3 +/- inches in diameter, and want to get some suggestions.

This is going to be for my Drummer Cafe banner, in an attempt to recreate the logo you see here on the site. The wood quality can be very low (aka cheap), and light weight.

You've probably seen the gumbo Pro-Mark drumsticks that are 3 foot long, 1-1/2" diameter, but I need something twice that size.

What would you suggest?

It doesn't have to be wood, but I do need the size I've mentioned, while being able to fashion it into the shape of a drumstick. One possibility is to not make it round; keep it flat, but cut to the shape of the drumstick. Probably cheaper to go that route.

Jon E

a 4" x 4" board/post is only 3.5" is actual width/thickness.  You could whip one of those into a drumstick in no time flat--especially if you have acces to a lathe (or someone who can turn it for you).  Otherwise you may need to breakout a rasp and some sandpaper.

Happy whittlin'!

dizz

You could buy a newel post and a few deck posts.  Some newel posts are tapered with a ball on the end so some of your work could be done (for making the bead)

Most lathes are 3-4' long, so youd have to make it in section if youre going to lathe it.

The easiest thing would  be 2 dimensional.  All you need then is a jigsaw and plywood.  But it wouldnt be as cool :D

Something like above might work for the tip.

This one is almost a drumstick

There are many possibilities with all the shapes you can buy off the shelf.

You should wait for Superman Bob Dias to harp in,  we all know what this guy can do with wood

Bart Elliott

Yeah, I have a jigsaw and could easily make a two-dimensional drumstick, but like dizz said, not as cool.

If the Pro-Mark 3-foot drumsticks were larger diameter wise, I could join them together ... cutting the tip off of one.

I don't own a lathe.

If I could find a 3" diameter, wood pole that is 6-foot in length, I'm willing to fashion the drumstick with elbow grease and sandpaper.

Having the drumstick in two 3-foot sections isn't a bad idea, as long as I can get the grain to line-up and position the pieces exactly. Sure would make it easier to transport if it could be broken down.

6-foot wooden flag poles are inexpensive, but again, the diameter is way to small.

I'd sure like to get something figured out and finished before the Southern Drum Show so I can use it at the Drummer Cafe booth.

Mark Pedersen

Bart - You have to have coastal Farm Stores in your area? There are some rustic looking fence post they sell that are already round and are about 6 or 8 feet in length. I think with a lot of sanding and said elbow grease, you could fashion one of those into a nice looking stick. 

Dave Heim

Would it be easier to use PVC pipe for the main shaft of the stick?  Then you could find or make wooden inserts for the butt end and the throat/tip.

Jon E

Very "Ahead-like" Dave.

PS: Bart, be sure to put flashing lights in it too!!

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Dave Heim on June 16, 2009, 01:19 PM
Would it be easier to use PVC pipe for the main shaft of the stick?  Then you could find or make wooden inserts for the butt end and the throat/tip.

I thought of that, and it was also suggested by a worker at my local hardware store. The drag would be painting it and making it look like wood.

Another possibility is to use these large cylinders that carpet comes rolled up on. The diameter is too big for my needs; close to 6 inches.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Bart Elliott on June 16, 2009, 02:53 PM
I thought of that, and it was also suggested by a worker at my local hardware store. The drag would be painting it and making it look like wood.

Another possibility is to use these large cylinders that carpet comes rolled up on. The diameter is too big for my needs; close to 6 inches.

Cover it with wood-grained contact paper!  :)

Bart Elliott

Just an update ...

I had a drum builder friend of mine, Steve Hayden, in St. Louis help me out. Steve has been building and designing a wide variety of instruments my friend Mark Miller and his productions of StikYard and Drummer Boy.

Anyway, we went with high grade Pine blanks, laminating them together, then lathing it down to a 3-inch diameter, 5'10" length.

I had the idea of cutting the stick in half for easy transportation, as well as the build itself. We went with that idea, using a screw/nut to reattach the two pieces. Total weight is 8.5 lbs.

I don't have the stick yet; I'll get it sometime next week. I'll have to add my signature to the drumstick then give it the polyurethane treatment.

I have a number of ideas of how to add the banner to the stick, so hopefully one of those will work. My goal is to not do any drilling on the stick. Adding eyelets or hooks to the stick could cause problems since there are two pieces to the stick, plus the natural, uneven shape of the stick itself.

Hope to premier the drumstick at the Southern Drum Show in a few weeks!

Nathan Cartier

Sounds eye-catching!  Good luck drumming  ::) up support for the DC!

Dave Heim

Quote from: Bart Elliott on July 01, 2009, 11:03 PM
Just an update ...

I had a drum builder friend of mine, Steve Hayden, in St. Louis help me out. Steve has been building and designing a wide variety of instruments my friend Mark Miller and his productions of StikYard and Drummer Boy.

Anyway, we went with high grade Pine blanks, laminating them together, then lathing it down to a 3-inch diameter, 5'10" length.

I had the idea of cutting the stick in half for easy transportation, as well as the build itself. We went with that idea, using a screw/nut to reattach the two pieces. Total weight is 8.5 lbs.

I don't have the stick yet; I'll get it sometime next week. I'll have to add my signature to the drumstick then give it the polyurethane treatment.

I have a number of ideas of how to add the banner to the stick, so hopefully one of those will work. My goal is to not do any drilling on the stick. Adding eyelets or hooks to the stick could cause problems since there are two pieces to the stick, plus the natural, uneven shape of the stick itself.

Hope to premier the drumstick at the Southern Drum Show in a few weeks!

Next on the drawing board. . .   a 7 ft long stick bag!   :)

Jon E

Quotea 7 ft long stick bag!

Nice!!  LOL!

NY Frank

As long as you put this much energy into it - you're going to make some video of you actually playing with those sticks, yes?       :)

Bart Elliott

There's only one stick. Since it is 6-foot, I guess I'll have to use two hands anyway, so one stick will do.  ;)

The stick weighs 8lbs ... that's as much as a gallon jug of water. Talk about using the K.I.S.S. approach to drumming!

NY Frank

As long as you went this far, you should have a Pair built.      :)

Bart Elliott

I got the 6-foot drumstick and it looks great!

I'll post pictures soon.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Bart Elliott on July 10, 2009, 11:10 PM
I got the 6-foot drumstick and it looks great!

I'll post pictures soon.

Please tell me that's not code for something!   :)

Mark Pedersen

I thought about this Bart - it's a good thing you used the stick for your logo instead of a drum - would of been next to impossible to have a 6 foot drum produced cheaply

Jim R.

Quote from: Dave Heim on July 13, 2009, 02:21 PM
Please tell me that's not code for something!   :)

ROFL! Be careful how you pose in pictures with that thing.