• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

CCPA Jazz Orchestra w/Your's Truly on the Throne

Started by Hannah Ford, October 06, 2009, 02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannah Ford

Hey Ya'll,

If you're in the Chicago area and ya like Big Band Jazz come see me.  If you've never treated yourself to a show at The Jazz Showcase it's well worth comin' out on a school night!

Mon, 10/19     
730 PM       
The Jazz Showcase
806 S. Plymouth Ct.
Chicago, IL

Look forward to seein you there!

Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah   

ftp://

David Stanoch

'Zat your kit, Hannah? Sweet!

Have a great gig. I used to go to the Jazz Showcase often when I was in college in Madison. The club was in the Pick Congress Hotel, downtown on Michigan Ave, by the lake, in those days.

We'd either make special trips to see Blakey or Elvin or whomever or just drop in after casuals I used to go down to the Windy City and play for corporate events. Joe Segal got so used to seeing us he used to yell at me if we were there after an earlier gig and dropped into the club while leaving our gear in the van.

"Are you kids crazy? Bring your d*mn stuff in here and keep it safe!" I remember doing that one night after Joe read us the riot act. McCoy Tyner, Louis Hayes & Avery Sharpe looked at us as if they wondering what in the world we were doing. It was pretty funny.

I'm glad the club has survived. So many have not and the Jazz Showcase is a part of history. I hope you have a really fun gig!

Hannah Ford

LOL...Joe is still there every night.  He's a trip!

I remember last year when he heard a "girl" was sitting behind the kit of the CCPA Jazz Orchestra for possibly the first time in history he was soooo skeptical.

While the band was tuning and we were getting ready for the warm up before the show Joe basically just ignored me while roaming around the room like he always does before every show.  Little did he know, not only did I overhear some of his questions regarding my abilities, but I had already been informed by our director about his doubts.  I realized in his years he's seen some of the best of the best!  NO PRESSURE of course. lol

We kicked off our pre show warm up with Sweet Georgia Brown, rolled into some A Train, hit a little Sunny Side of the Street and then blazed through a very nice arrangement of Cherokee....

I quickly noticed that somewhere between measure 4 & 8 of Georgia Brown, Joe had found a seat at the foot of the stage, right in front of me.  He seemed pleased and I know I must have seemed very relieved. lol

After we finished Cherokee the cymbals had not even stopped ringing and I heard Joe Segal say...."Kid can PLAY!"  as he walked away.
I felt like just maybe I had passed The Jazz Showcase initiation.  lol

I LOVE playing there.  The room just has so much history and you can just feel the vibe....

Thanks for your story David...I sure wish I would have had the opportunity to see Blakey or Elvin.

I too am glad "the club has survived."

Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah

David Stanoch

Your story's better, Hannah! ;)

Way to go. Glad to hear Joe's still kickin' it, that's fantastic!

I know what you mean about the vibe in places like that. I used to play at The Lighthouse, in Hermosa Beach, when I lived in Los Angeles, w/a reggae band but the club was one of the premier West Coast jazz clubs in its heyday. Lots of pics of Miles, Max, Shelly Manne and legends like that playing there on the walls...it's inspiring!

Have a great gig!

Todd Knapp

Hannah,

Sounds like a fantastic gig. How'd it go?

Hannah Ford

Hey Boomka,

The gig went great...did two fulls sets with my Mentor (Paul Wertico) sitting in the audience....no pressure.  :-\

Of course at the break between the sets I got the play by play of the first set...LOL....

I believe he was much more pleased with the 2nd set.  Oh well, all in a days work.  lol

Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah