• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

NAMM 2010 - Winter Show

Started by Bart Elliott, January 04, 2010, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

I won't be attending the 2010 Winder NAMM in Anaheim, CA; anyone else planning on being there? If so, we'd all love to see photos, video and/or any sort of report from the event.

David Stanoch

Aww... bummer Bart. I was hoping to see you there!  :'(

I will be there myself for a couple days and if anyone is planning to attend please stop by Alfred Music Publishing's booth (#4822) on Friday, January 15th, @ 4:00 PM, where I'll be signing (ideally) copies of my book, Mastering the Tables of Time, or whatever you want...posters, maybe body parts like I saw Carmine Appice do back in the day, anything but checks! ;)

I'll try to take some pics and be a DC advocate as best I can...least I can do for everyhing you've done for me!

Sean J. Kennedy

Yo Bart!

I'll be there doing some stuff related to my new drumset book.  I will try and get a bunch of pics and hopefully some short videos of the show for you to put up on DrummerCafe!

Love the site Bart - and I'm spreading the word to all my drumming pals up here in Philly.

Thanks for having this site man,

Sean

Hannah Ford

Quote from: David Stanoch on January 04, 2010, 11:22 PM
Aww... bummer Bart. I was hoping to see you there!  :'(

I will be there myself for a couple days and if anyone is planning to attend please stop by Alfred Music Publishing's booth (#4822) on Friday, January 15th, @ 4:00 PM, where I'll be signing (ideally) copies of my book, Mastering the Tables of Time, or whatever you want...posters, maybe body parts like I saw Carmine Appice do back in the day, anything but checks! ;)

I'll try to take some pics and be a DC advocate as best I can...least I can do for everyhing you've done for me!

HI Dave,

I'm already in Los Angeles enjoying the 70 degree weather! 

Although I have the Zildjian Artist Signing on Friday from 2 - 4 I'll do my best to bust over and grab an autograph at the Alfred Booth while you're there!

See ya in a couple days!!

Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah

Steve "Smitty" Smith

I would greatly appreciate information on any new offerings from Paiste. 

Thanks!

frankbriggs

Quote from: Bart Elliott on January 04, 2010, 04:01 PM
I won't be attending the 2010 Winder NAMM in Anaheim, CA; anyone else planning on being there? If so, we'd all love to see photos, video and/or any sort of report from the event.
I didn't take any pictures or video this year.. this is the only one. Cindy is a sweetheart and we had fun talking about our mutual hero Tony Williams. I thought Thomas was cool too, he seemed very genuine.. I told him I thought he was pretty good drummer, he laughed and said thanks.. perfect.
Anyway .. I was happy to get this one.

Bart Elliott

Did any of your kids see each other or get to hang out at all?

I've got a lot of photos to share from NAMM, thanks to kindness of Bill Bachman. Stay tuned for those.

frankbriggs

Dave Stanoch and I got to hook up for a bit at the Yamaha ballroom. Great guy and his book is very cool.

Bart Elliott

Mark Pedersen

Quote from: Bart Elliott on January 18, 2010, 04:18 PM
Over 150 photos from the NAMM Show, courtesy of Bill Bachman:

http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-articles/2010-namm-show.html

Wholly cow - just got done sitting through it all. Nice!! This is why I love this place. I get to see things merely days since they happened not a month or more in a magazine. Thanks Bill for the pics and also Bart for having a great virtual "clubhouse" !!

Bill Bachman

Hey, you guys are most welcome. It was a fun project to cover NAMM through pictures. In and amongst various meetings I was still able to pull it off!

David Stanoch

Hi gang,

I had the pleasure, at was a very productive & fun NAMM Show for me, to see Hannah & Dave Ford again and to meet for the first time "Mr. Good Foot" - Frank Briggs.

Quote from: Frank Briggs on January 18, 2010, 08:52 AMDave Stanoch and I got to hook up for a bit at the Yamaha ballroom. Great guy and his book is very cool.

- Thanks Frank, hope to see you again soon. You're very kind & Melanie is great too! Congrats on your new Yamaha deal, they are lucky to have you!

Looking forward to checking out Bill Bachman's pics and thanks Bill for doing that, I'm really digging your series in Modern Drummer!

As I write this I am fortunate to be staying in the home of the legendary Walfredo Reyes Sr., in Northern CA, where my good friend Mark Powers & I are consulting on a new edu production that Walfredo and Elliot Fine are collaborating on.

At this moment, Mark is filming Walfredo grooving on a Conga tumbao rhythm that he is playing completely with his left hand while he plays Cascara (not Clave) with his left foot and improvising w/his right hand. Good Lord!

Enjoy visualizing that and Peace!

Bart Elliott

Bill Bachman

It'll be interesting to see just how big a push gon-bops gets now.

Gaetano Nicolosi

Bill,
Thanks for sharing the pics!

Gaetano

Bart Elliott

It was only a matter of time ... breaking the limitations of the standard washboard, it's  http://www.woogieboard.com]Woogie Board !

http://www.woogieboard.com/videosound.html

Based on the demo(s), it seems a bit like a one-trick-pony in that after one song/effect, you're done ... or should I say my ears and interest are done.

Bart Elliott

Roy Burns had a funny anecdote with this year's NAMM Show.

The Aquarian Drumhead booth had a "quiet room" built so they could conduct business without screaming throughout the conversation. Also at the booth was a drumkit, showcasing their drumheads, minus cymbals and a drum throne. This allowed people to tryout the drumheads, but not just sit down and play for long lengths of time.

So Roy is in "the booth" chatting with someone and notices that "some young kid" had been on their drums for over 5-minutes, just wailing up a storm. Roy walked out of the booth and went up to the kid and said "hey, do you think you could cool it?" The kid responds, "what does that mean?", to which Roy replies "it means stop playing!"

The kid walks off in disgust with a look on his face, unbelieving that someone would dare tell him to stop playing. Chris Brady (Aquarian A&R) walks up to Roy and says, "do you know who that kid was?" Roy says "no". Chris says, "that was Buddy Rich's grandson".

Chris Brady latter told me that he overheard Cathy Rich telling her son (Nick) something to the effect that Roy Burns comes from the same era as "grandpa" and ...

I cracked up when Roy told the story, and again when Chris shared the story with me.  8)

Bill Bachman

That's funny...

There's that American entitlement, "I deserve the right to make as much of a scene anywhere and anyhow I want." Oh, and it should be free.

Sean J. Kennedy

Hi Everyone!

Here is a slideshow of my trip to NAMM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy8g-89833w

It is mostly drum related and some site-seeing too! (PS the teddy bear was given to me by 6 year old son...to keep me company!)

and quick video of me and Liberty DeVitto at the Mapex booth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPtC5b-t6rs

Bill Bachman

I really like the bear! I have a 4 month old girl and will have similar things to look forward to I'm sure. :)