Topic: Drum cam in the studio -Bill Bachman (me!)  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Bill Bachman

• Cafe VIP
    • facebook.com/billbachmandrums
    • remotespeedyhat.com
Drum cam in the studio -Bill Bachman (me!)
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:59 PM »

This was fun, hope you dig it!
Inventor of the Remote Speedy Hat: remotespeedyhat.com
Now offering SKYPE drum lessons!

Offline Larry Rankine

• Cafe VIP
    • Larry Rankine
Re: Drum cam in the studio -Bill Bachman (me!)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:52 AM »
Great stuff Bill, thanks for sharing that!   8)
TAMA Starclassic Bubinga and Bubinga/Birch teamed up with Zildjian!!.......and now Sabian too!

Better than this?!?!

Offline Hannah Ford

• Cafe VIP
    • hannahforddrums
    • hannahforddrums.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:35 AM »
Cool!

Hannah
Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah Ford

"Life's a Stage...Perform It..."

Offline Todd Knapp

• Cafe VIP
    • Todd Knapp Drums & Percussion
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:20 AM »
Lovely playing Bill. Excellent groove construction on the verses. Stepping the hats, etc. gives the groove lots of interesting texture and you didn't fall into predictable 12/8 pattern with the right hand doing all the work. Really lovely. Lots of interest/variation and dynamic subtlty, too.

I'm curious about your cymbals; what's that ride? It looks like there are a couple of rivets dancing around on the top edge. And the hats, are they Special Drys?

Offline Bill Bachman

• Cafe VIP
    • remotespeedyhat.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Thanks for the compliments!

Ahh yes, the cymbals. (I'm a cymbalholic so I'm ready to talk.) The hats are a combo of 14" special dry on top of a K session bottom (which is basically an A custom series top hat) so they're the same weight top & bottom. They get a really nice stick click. As you might expect they're centered on a remote speedy hat so all of those Porcaro shuffle kinda` things were really easy to play.

The ride is a 21" special dry as well with three rivets I added. I'd actually change it out for another if I could go back. It didn't get picked up enough in the overheads and the rivets actually bugged people out who were mixing--it came of as more of a hiss problem than a sizzling happiness. You live and learn! I have a couple heavier yet still jazzy rides that I would've used.

The crashes are both 18" K Custom sessions that are about a M2 apart. I was really fortunate that Zildjian went through 18 of them to make a perfect pair!

The splash that I hardly used was a 8" K Custom--good to go...

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 02:22 PM »
And the toms/snare set-up?

The drum sound is superb to my ears - confused after reading your 3 mic thread.

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Good to see the Speedy Hat in action too!!  Very nice.

Offline Bill Bachman

• Cafe VIP
    • remotespeedyhat.com
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 07:00 PM »
OK, the drums are old Pearl MLX that I've customized. The 8x12 was a 10x12, then 12x14 floor and 15x16 floor that was a 16x16, and a 16x22 bass. I have about 20 or so of these drums in almost every size imaginable since I can get them cheap. They all have bearing edges that I did in my man-shed and they were all sanded down with a palm sander and refinished with gloss poly from home depot. Yes, it was a colossal pain in the butt.

The snare is a cheap, poorly made out of chincy materials slingerland from the 80s I think. It's a piece of junk, yet the best snare ever! I bought it used in 1993 and it already had a dirty coated ambassador with the coating worn through in the center. To this day it has the same heads on it and the same magic.

As for my 3 microphone rant, this one is one of the exceptions where it was done really well with microphones on everything. Yipee!   

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Well they do say it's the player of course (and the playing).

Snare? Who would have thought. Brought me back to earth with a bang (uses craviotto with new heads).  ;D

What are the tom heads? That's my dream tom sound, but I can never get mine so full and deep.

I used to own a BLX. Not any more.
Though I've often thought the BLX and MLX were severely undervalued on the used market (Ebay etc). They were top of the line drums 20 years ago, and drum sounds haven't changed that much. Of course I don't have those customizing skills.
 :)

Offline Vintage Ludwig

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Mmmm....nice stuff indeed.  Love the ghost strokes on the snare, interwoven with subtle rim shots. Nice tuning on the snare-relatively loose wires, no? Nice groove and feel.  Nicely mixed tune, good recording.

Good job, thanks for sharing that-

Kev

Offline Bill Bachman

• Cafe VIP
    • remotespeedyhat.com
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 11:51 PM »
Thanks! The tom heads are clear ambassadors top & bottom. They weren't fresh, but a few careful minutes going lug to lug with a drum key makes a big difference.

I love those old drums once you add suspension mounts and floating feet to them. The heavy shells and thick gloss lacquer on the insides of the shells does good things.

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 01:28 AM »
Thanks Bill.

Never used Clear Ambassadors before, just coated Ambs, or clear Emperors.

Great tip for anyone looking for high quality drums on a budget. Pearl MLX.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram