• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

TV spot with Annie Moses Band

Started by Bart Elliott, April 06, 2010, 08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

I got a call a few days ago (Saturday) to sub on drums for a television spot this evening (Tuesday). I think this is just going to be a recorded thing, not live. The group I'll be playing with is the  http://www.anniemosesband.com]Annie Moses Band , a pop chamber group here in Nashville. If you're not familiar with the term "pop chamber", it's essentially a small show orchestra that combines a mixture of styles (folk, jazz, fusion, latin, pop, etc.). Their repertoire includes instrumental as well as vocal numbers.

Anyway, I received rhythm charts and MP3s for four tunes on Sunday. The compositions are through-composed with a lot ensemble figures, meter changes, and even a few metric modulations. It's going to be fun ... but it's also a challenge. They plan to pick two tunes (from the four that I have to learn) to perform for the television spot.

Two of the tunes are very cool arrangements of folk tunes that some of you may recognize. "Blarney Pilgrim" is a traditional Irish instrumental tune, and "The Wayfaring Stranger".

lopan

Sounds very fun. Will everyone be tracking at the same time?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Michael Galvez on April 06, 2010, 11:05 AM
Sounds very fun. Will everyone be tracking at the same time?

This is for television ... so yes, it's a live performance, filmed for television. It may broadcast live as well, but I don't know about that ... yet.

Bill Bachman

Sounds like fun, how did it go?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Bill Bachman on April 10, 2010, 11:53 PM
Sounds like fun, how did it go?

Went well, thanks for asking.

We played three of the four songs I needed to have prepared. We ran through each tune one time, and they added one extra "new" tune as well. Got a lead sheet for that new song, ran it down and we were done. Off to the green room, change clothes, waited for our cue ... then on stage, live audience and taping ... performed the numbers then off stage again. Painless but lots of pressure ... just the way I like it.  :)