• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

That Jazz snare "pop"

Started by Basher, February 16, 2002, 02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basher

Hello fellow drummers.. I'm a fairly novice drummer, I've been playing for a long time as a hobby, but I don't think I'm very good.. trying to learn more about the "art" of drumming now, instead of just banging on them.

Anyway, I have a question.  I love Jazz/funk grooves like Dennis Chambers, Carter Beauford, etc.  I was watching Chris Botti on satellite yesterday, his drummer, a female drummer, Karen Teperberg(who has a great style). has that distinct Jazz "pop".  I was wondering, to achieve this sound,  do they rim shot like 90% of the time??  I have a Pearl 13" Piccillo and a rim shot gives me that similar "pop".  

Well.. better practice, I have a LOT to learn, I'm just beginning to learn how to read sheet music.  Can you believe that.  Thanks!!

Bart Elliott

I think saying that a rimshot is played 90% of the time is an accurate assessment.

I would say that 90% of most commercial music incorporates rimshots for the back-beat. Doing so really drives the music as well as establishing a consistent sound.

I personally use a rimshot for most back-beat types of music; the exception being ballads ... but even this depends on the type of snare I'm using.

Basher

One thing I find more difficult is controlling the dynamics of a rim shot.. but I've see great drummers contol it very well.

I saw the Tony Royster, Jr. video with Dennis Chambers and that kid can play.. he has the dynamics down very well...  must be nice :)

Bart Elliott

If you are talking about dynamics using the rimshot ... there is a very narrow range ... it's meant to be loud.

I would encourage you to practice the rimshots using your wrist and a low stick height. Try to develop you consistency at this volume, then work on increasing it. I have spent hours just working on playing a consistent back-beat ... and the rewards are definitely worth the time.

If you continue to have difficulty I would suggest that you experiment with the height of your snare, as well as it's angle. Getting the proper set-up for you body stature is very important ingredient to being relaxed when you play ... which in turn, plays an important role in consistency.

rlhubley

Another way to control the dynamic is by how much stick is on the head.  For example, when i need the sound of a rim shot, but not so much power, i strike the drum with only about 3-5 inches of stick,  i also use a shorter stroke, consisting of only 6 inches or so high.   This also will give more of a ring which helps it to cut  through.  

Bart Elliott

QuoteAnother way to control the dynamic is by how much stick is on the head.  For example, when i need the sound of a rim shot, but not so much power, i strike the drum with only about 3-5 inches of stick,  i also use a shorter stroke, consisting of only 6 inches or so high.   This also will give more of a ring which helps it to cut  through.  

Great point, but we also need to point out that you get a different PITCH doing this not the full "meat and potatoes" of the drum. The "ring" is the upper partials or harmonics of the drum. I use this for a re-mix sound when I don't have a secondary snare with me.

Great suggestion Robert, but I did want to point out, which I'm sure you already knew, that the realized pitch is different. As long as the sound is acceptable to your ears and for the piece of music you are playing I say go for it.