• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Preserving a Signature

Started by Nathan Cartier, January 13, 2011, 10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan Cartier

I have a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute snare in Embossed Green finish.  I recently had the drum signed by a favorite musician, and I'd like to preserve and protect the signature.  Any of you handymen and women have a suggestion for what I should use?

Here's the drum and signed area in question:

Bart Elliott

I can't think of any way to protect the signature as far as covering it. I'm assuming you are still playing this drum?

If you put clear tape (the kind that is used for packing) over the signature, you run the risk of having the tape pull the signature off should you need to remove the tape. In fact the tape could even absorb the ink from the signature over time.

You could perhaps lacquer over the signature; something a manufacturer would do. But I don't think this would look very nice.

Some things you CAN do to preserve the autograph:
Display the drum using indirect lighting, at a room temperature of 65 - 70 degrees, and 50% humidity. Check the signature periodically for signs of fading or deterioration, and avoid excessive handling.

I'm curious if anyone has been successful doing the very thing you are attempting.

Nathan Cartier

Definitely going to play this drum.

I'm wondering if a very light coating of spray lacquer would work, but there are several different varieties at the hardware store. 

Brett Conroy

I think a spray clear coat would work just fine, just as a Clear Spray Lacquer would.  Is your bass the same finish as this drum?  If so, I would test it on a small area on the bottom of your bass drum to make sure it turns out right.  That way if it looks bad, no one will ever see it! :)

Nathan Cartier

I just got off the phone with Yamaha Customer Service, he recommended Varathane clear polyurethane spray.  Tape off the area, very lightly mist the area and then let it dry completely.  Repeat.  Once the second mist coat is completely dry I can go a little thicker for a glossy finish. 

I'll practice on a spare tom shell before I do it for real. 

Bart Elliott

Great news Nathan.

And kudos to Yamaha for the insight and customer service!

Brett Conroy

Great to hear that you figured out a way to make it work, and even better that Yamaha was so good about helping you out!  Let us know how it works!

Ron Gerber

I hope he posts how it came out. I also have one I'd like to preserve. It's faded and a little worn since this photo was shot just after Richie signed this for me about 7 or 8 years ago. I'd like for it not to deteriorate any further.

NY Frank

Get that signature preserved.

Contact my friends at Precision Drums.   They'll know how to protect it.