Topic: Mic inside bass drum: Room sound?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Bill Bachman

• Cafe VIP
    • facebook.com/billbachmandrums
    • remotespeedyhat.com
Mic inside bass drum: Room sound?
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Hey guys, what are your opinions/experiences on the room sound's effect (or lack there of) on the bass drum sound with the mic placed inside the drum?

I recorded something in a friend's house and the bass drum sound wasn't too happening with a beta 52 tucked in the port. I switched to an Audix D6 (those are my two bass mic options) in the same position and it sounded much better. Are the mic's pre-EQ'd that differently? Would the room start to make no difference at all if it was placed farther inside?
Inventor of the Remote Speedy Hat: remotespeedyhat.com
Now offering SKYPE drum lessons!

Offline Tim van de Ven

• Cafe VIP
  • Making a living hitting things...
    • timothy.vandeven
    • timtacular
    • Tim's Website
Re: Mic inside bass drum: Room sound?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:26 AM »
Hey guys, what are your opinions/experiences on the room sound's effect (or lack there of) on the bass drum sound with the mic placed inside the drum?

I recorded something in a friend's house and the bass drum sound wasn't too happening with a beta 52 tucked in the port. I switched to an Audix D6 (those are my two bass mic options) in the same position and it sounded much better. Are the mic's pre-EQ'd that differently? Would the room start to make no difference at all if it was placed farther inside?

To me, the idea of micing a bass drum from the inside is to remove any of the room characteristics out of the recorded track (assuming that you've placed the mic well inside the bass drum).

I would propose that one mic worked better for you than another. Personally, I prefer Beta 52 mics outside of the drum and not in a port (that's what works for me).

Offline Bill Bachman

• Cafe VIP
    • facebook.com/billbachmandrums
    • remotespeedyhat.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:58 PM »
Thanks Tim! Anyone else have thoughts on room sound & bass tone/mic placement? 
Inventor of the Remote Speedy Hat: remotespeedyhat.com
Now offering SKYPE drum lessons!

Offline Tim van de Ven

• Cafe VIP
  • Making a living hitting things...
    • timothy.vandeven
    • timtacular
    • Tim's Website
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:32 PM »
Thanks Tim! Anyone else have thoughts on room sound & bass tone/mic placement?

Actually Bill, you could double-mic the bass drum; one internal mic and one external (away from the port). Then, to bring them back into phase, you simply align waveforms (so that they match each other) in the DAW of your choice.

Offline JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 03:08 AM »
My suggestion is to experiment.  For a couple of weeks I recorded two of my kits, moving the bass drum mic around (inside & outside the drum, various depths into the port, etc.) to see what effect it had.  The results were interesting.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!