• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Bellevue Suite w/Hannah Ford records at World Renown Pressure Point Studios

Started by Hannah Ford, April 21, 2011, 10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannah Ford

Hi Guys,

As though my career life hasn't been Blessed enough with WHITE NOISE, I just finished a couple of AMAZING days with Bellevue Suite ( http://www.bellevuesuite.net]www.bellevuesuite.net ) at the incredible studios of Pressure Point Recording in Chicago USA, Darren Rahn Producing!  I have to say it was two of the most inspiring and creative days of my career....period.

Certainly you won't be able to appreciate the greatness until the tunes are released, however I wanted to share some pics with you.  This link takes you to all 100 or so pics.  I couldn't help but throw a couple up here for you to see that YES I DO sport my DC colors proudly!!! LOLOLOLOL

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.205534099469562.48974.179662108723428]http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.205534099469562.48974.179662108723428

Although there's no sound associated with these pics, I believe you can see the intensity and the enjoyment as well.

LOVE MY LIFE!!!

God Bless,

Hannah

donelk

Mister Acrolite

Paicey

Hannah, i know this is an exit here but i didnt want to start a thread on it. I think about this at work. Have you ever been approached by the Ford drum company?. Can you imagine an ad saying Hannah Ford not only drives a Ford mustang but she drives a Ford drum kit?. I see your name around quite a bit lately and i cant imagine the Ford drum company not seeing the advantage of your name on their drums. Am i alone here?...Hannah Ford drives Ford drums?.

Ryan Culberson

Hannah, that looks like such a blast! 

You look like you are totally in your element in the studio.  Maybe when or if you have the time, you could detail the process for us.  Gear selection, muffling techniques (I see the gaffa employed in a few of the pictures), the tracking process (punch-ins, drum tracks first, etc...) and just your overall opinion of the experience. 

Personally, the recording process is the most interesting part of my musical journey, and the one that gives me the most satisfaction.  I love picking the brains of pros like yourself to learn new techniques or wisdom that might help me get a better track the next time I'm in the studio.  I've paid close attention when other pros like Mr. A or Chris Whitten have chimed in and I learn so much from the collective experience of everybody here. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Hannah! 

Cheers,
Ryan

Hannah Ford

Quote from: Paicey on April 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
Hannah, i know this is an exit here but i didn't want to start a thread on it. I think about this at work. Have you ever been approached by the Ford drum company?. Can you imagine an ad saying Hannah Ford not only drives a Ford mustang but she drives a Ford drum kit?. I see your name around quite a bit lately and i cant imagine the Ford drum company not seeing the advantage of your name on their drums. Am i alone here?...Hannah Ford drives Ford drums?.

Hi Paicey,

Yes I have met Jimmy Ford and Jay Gaylen with Ford Drums more than once and yes it was discussed.  You are right it does sound like a very cool marketing idea. lol  In addition the drums are beautiful and sound amazing.  If I were to ever have a "custom" kit built I would definitely consider them to build it.

That being said, I more than cherish my relationships with the companies that have supported me thus far.  Not only do I LOVE the products I currently play and see no reason for changing I love the people that support me within the companies...it's a wonderful partnership.

The around the world support that Gretsch can provide me, a smaller company just can not.  Plus again, let me say I sincerely love that "Great Gretsch Sound".

Both Jimmy and Jay at Ford Drums are very nice and again I believe build an awesome set of drums....it's just a much larger picture for me to take into consideration at this point in my career.

Good catch on your part though!

Hannah

Hannah Ford

Quote from: Ryan Culberson on April 23, 2011, 12:17 AM
Hannah, that looks like such a blast! 

You look like you are totally in your element in the studio.  Maybe when or if you have the time, you could detail the process for us.  Gear selection, muffling techniques (I see the gaffa employed in a few of the pictures), the tracking process (punch-ins, drum tracks first, etc...) and just your overall opinion of the experience. 

Personally, the recording process is the most interesting part of my musical journey, and the one that gives me the most satisfaction.  I love picking the brains of pros like yourself to learn new techniques or wisdom that might help me get a better track the next time I'm in the studio.  I've paid close attention when other pros like Mr. A or Chris Whitten have chimed in and I learn so much from the collective experience of everybody here. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Hannah! 

Cheers,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for post.  I don't know if I'm in my element because I'm still learning sooooo much about studio vs live work.  However I can tell you that I LOVE the studio experience. Everything so clear, so neat and having to take the time to get the sounds and tones so precise is exciting to me.

Currently I'm enjoying a couple of hours to myself this morning and then its back downtown for an afternoon rehearsal and show tonight with "WHITE NOISE"...so I probably won't get to give you that lengthy walk through of the experience today. However, I promise I'll find some time within the next couple of days to try and bring it to you the best I can.

I will say this studio experience, with Bellevue Suite, LoGIk (rapper) and Darren Rahn ( http://www.darrenrahn.com]www.darrenrahn.com ) producing was the very best studio experience I've EVER had.  This team of artists had it together, were prepared and just stepped up and killed it! I can't wait to share the end result with everyone!

Again, I'll get that "report" (lol) out to you soon.

Take care Ryan...

Hannah

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Hannah Ford on April 21, 2011, 10:23 AM

I don't know ... I think I like this looks better than that WORNSTAR stuff.  ;)

Thanks for spreading the word and showing your support for the Drummer Cafe, Hannah!

Hannah Ford

Paicey

Yet another question without starting a thread Hannah. Ive yet to see a video available with female drummers exclusively. Why not?...Hannah Ford, Debbie Peterson, Gina Shock, Emanuelle Caplette, etc called girls night out. Im amazed someone hasnt thought about this angle for female exposure. Well?, come on Modern Drummer, lets see it happen, you up for it Hannah?.

Hannah Ford

Hey DC'rs....

Here's a little vid snippit of me laying down a drum track outro for a new Bellevue Suite tune!! This was shot from inside the control room through the window. lol  You can hear producer Darren Rahn talkin to me through the talk back.  Also you can hear others in the control room excited about what was happening.  Enjoy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEkt4hz-g0E#ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEkt4hz-g0E#ws

Tony

Very nice video Hannah, you look so comfortable in the studio and so into the moment while tracking. I'm looking forward to hearing the final product.

David Stanoch

Quote from: Hannah Ford on May 03, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hey DC'rs....

Here's a little vid snippit of me laying down a drum track outro for a new Bellevue Suite tune!! This was shot from inside the control room through the window. lol  You can hear producer Darren Rahn talkin to me through the talk back.  Also you can hear others in the control room excited about what was happening.  Enjoy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEkt4hz-g0E#ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEkt4hz-g0E#ws

Killer.  8)

Hannah Ford

Quote from: David Stanoch on May 05, 2011, 10:23 PM
Killer.  8)

Hey David, I don't know how I missed this before but thank you so much.  That one word coming from you means a LOT!!!!

;D

Hannah Ford

Quote from: Hannah Ford on April 23, 2011, 08:50 AM
Hi Ryan,

Thank you for post.  I don't know if I'm in my element because I'm still learning sooooo much about studio vs live work.  However I can tell you that I LOVE the studio experience. Everything so clear, so neat and having to take the time to get the sounds and tones so precise is exciting to me.

Currently I'm enjoying a couple of hours to myself this morning and then its back downtown for an afternoon rehearsal and show tonight with "WHITE NOISE"...so I probably won't get to give you that lengthy walk through of the experience today. However, I promise I'll find some time within the next couple of days to try and bring it to you the best I can.

I will say this studio experience, with Bellevue Suite, LoGIk (rapper) and Darren Rahn ( http://www.darrenrahn.com]www.darrenrahn.com ) producing was the very best studio experience I've EVER had.  This team of artists had it together, were prepared and just stepped up and killed it! I can't wait to share the end result with everyone!

Again, I'll get that "report" (lol) out to you soon.

Take care Ryan...

Hannah

Hi Ryan, I sooooo apologize for the length of time it has taken me to get back here and try to answer your thread.  It's another perfect example of just how fast time is moving.

For this particular session the equipment choice was a simple one for me.  Bellevue Suite has a sound that's all its own.  I wanted to make sure I was able to recreate that same sound that we're all used to hearing week in and week out.  At the same time (as you well know) having to deal with the challenges of Studio recording vs. Live performance.

Although I did want the same drum set up as I use live for Bellevue Suite shows you may notice I left out the 18" aux bass drum that I often use.  I just didn't feel like the "Risk vs Reward" factor was there. lol 

Another change I made in the kit was the head selection.  I changed from the EC2s into a coated G1Plus.  I wanted a more "drummie"  open sound if you will.  These heads sounded GREAT however the sustain stayed around a bit longer than I was comfortable with so that's why you see the tape on the heads.  The tape with the crease down the center is something that I'm sure is not a new technique to drummers who have been around the block a couple of times.  I personally picked it up from Paul Wertico.  It works great and can be done on the fly as needed....quickly.

The drum tracks were laid first.  Although I only did 3 takes on each tune, the first take was the one kept each time.  There were no drum punch ins...however I did do some vocal work that was.

Although now I have an Evans EQ pillow in my bass drum for this session I did not.  We simply used about 10 or so t-shirts placed through the port hole along the sides and bottom of the kick.  I have a shure beta 52 mounted inside the kick with a Kelly Shu system and an external xlr plug in the bottom of the drum that was used.  The KICK sounded amazing...actually I was happy with the way the entire kit sounded.  Check out the vid a few posts prior to this one and use headphones while you watch..not bad for being recorded inside the booth. lol

I realize I put myself in that position everyday, but when someone else calls me a pro or wants to "pick my brain" it's always a bit humbling and I'm not sure why. lol  I'm just loving this instrument and the journey it's taking me on like you and everyone else here.

If you have a specific question or questions you'd like to ask I will try to get them answered much sooner than it took me to reply this time.  Again I'm so sorry...it's been pretty crazy here.

Thank you again Ryan for the never ending support and encouragement!

Hannah

NY Frank

Just catching up to this.

That was really interesting to watch.

You are sounding most superb.  Wow.   

Ryan Culberson

Thank you Hannah for taking the time to let me (and the community) know about the particulars of that session! 

No apologies necessary at all.  I appreciate your effort and detailed account of the process. 

Thank you again!

Ryan

Mark Counts

Looking forward to seeing this new band..... Sounded great.... Inspires me to keep working at it, even at my age  ;D.