• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

calfskin bongo heads

Started by Colin Craven, May 31, 2011, 07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Craven

I currently have buffalo heads which I was told may be to mellow and warm for the cutting tone Im looking for, for recording 70s records. Kip skin was suggested which I cannot find. Can some one recommend a brand or site to find calfskin heads that dont require me to do anything special to install them?

Chip Donaho

There's a trick to installing 1960's style bongo heads made of calfskin. I done it several times on old bongos and conga drums. Pre-soak the calfskin, stretch it across while wet, tacking it on the opposit side across from where you start. Repeat that process until the head is attached all the way around while wet. Now put the bongos in the shade while the air slowly shrinks it. After it's dry try it out. You may need to spray it again. Soak it, then stretch the head tighter. If it drys too fast or in the sun it may split the new head. It's a slow process to do original calfskin that's never been stretched on a drum. Make sure you keep calfskin heads in the shade as much as possible. ;)
I done calfskin heads on marching drums and concert snares too. I learned how to put new heads on drums in 7th grade. That's only 50 yrs ago.  ::)

Colin Craven

Thankx for the great info, but I am a noobie and I was actually looking for a head made that is just a bolt on and go.

Bart Elliott

If you are looking for a pre-tucked, calfskin drumhead for Bongos, check with the latin percussion manufacturers (eg. LP, Toca, Meinl, Pearl, etc.).

Keep in mind that each brand of Bongos can have slightly different dimensions, so you may want to purchase the drumhead from the same manufacturer who made your Bongos.

I own LP Bongos, so I purchase my calfskin heads from them.

If you want to tuck your own ... that's a completely different story.