Topic: Stan Kenton concert next Sunday 9/25/11  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Sean J. Kennedy

• Honorary VIP
    • https://www.facebook.com/sjkdrums
    • sjkdrums
    • www.seanjkennedy.com
Stan Kenton concert next Sunday 9/25/11
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:07 PM »
I'm sitting in on Latin percussion with the CRO for this Stan Kenton tribute concert....KILLER!!! charts from West Side Story, Cuban Fire!, etc...most horns are from the Philly Pops...rehearsal was great this week...if you're close to Philly you won't want to miss this one.  We're playing in the same theater that they filmed the 1958 classic "The Blob"!!

[img]http://content.bandzoogle.com/users/SeanJKennedy/images/content/Stan-Kenton-Centennial-Concert-9-25-2011.jpg?2[img]

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
Re: Stan Kenton concert next Sunday 9/25/11
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I was playing the music for "West Side Story" before it was released. No idea how our Army Band CO got his hands on it? :-\
Yes, I seen "The Blob" when it was first out. ;D
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

Offline Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
  • Psalm 150:5
    • Fusion Drums
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Right on!  Please give us a lowdown when you're done!

Offline Bobby Boyd

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
    • Bobby Boyd Drums
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:50 PM »
That's very cool! I first saw Kenton with Peter Erskine on drums and Ramon Lopez on Perc. and it changed my life. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Offline David Crigger

• Honorary VIP
    • www.davidcrigger.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 01:54 AM »
Wow Sean, that's great. I just love that Johnny Richards arrangement period of the Kenton band. If I wasn't on the other side of the country, I'd come to that (on my birthday no less) in a red hot minute).

Funny thing about the "Kenton's West Side Story" album, I remember my mom buying it way before I was playing at all (possibly when it was new in '61) and it being the first and only big band album in the house for a number of years thereafter... which I guess goes a long ways in explaining my musical taste. Let's just say... calling anything "over-the-top" or excessive is a criticism that rarely passes my lips.  :-)

Love that stuff!

Have a great time this weekend, I'm sure it will be a real treat.

David

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram