Topic: cheapo electronic kit  (Read 1258 times)

ERIC I

cheapo electronic kit
« on: January 29, 2003, 09:47 PM »
hey everybody.  I was thinking about making an electronic kit out of my old pearl exports by replacing the batters with mesh heads, putting ddrum triggers on them, and putting them through an alesis DM5.  I have no experience with any of this so im wondering what your opinions would be on this setup.  Would this be a good alternative to buying a full fledged electonic kit?  Will the triggers be somewhat accurate?  Thanks for all your input.

Offline Tony

• Cafe VIP
  • Art is the expression of the self.
Re:cheapo electronic kit
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 08:35 AM »
A good idea in theory, but you' can't just stick some triggers on a mesh head.  You'll have to build some kind of shock mount housing to protect them.  Also, drumhead mounted triggers work because of the head vibrations caused by the air flow through the drums.  You lose this with a mesh head.  But I think your on the right track.
The techniques, though they play an important role in the early stage, should not be too restrictive, complex or mechanical. If we cling to them, we will become bound by their limitation.  Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.

Offline Big Yummy

• Cafe VIP
  • I am evil Homer, I am evil Homer!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 09:35 AM »
I know someone who did this, and they weren't happy with the Alesis brain at all.  They traded it in for the entry level Roland brain and then used it for years when playing live.

People would often compliment him on his drum sound and then be incredulous when he told them everything but the snare and cymbals was electronic.  (These days, the better electronic snares are perfectly good for live work, too.)

He was playing straight ahead Rock music, so having the look of the acoustic kit was important.

Sound tech's loved it, because it made the kit so easy to work with.

He also had one electronic pad in the kit that he used for effects like hand claps.

"Cheap" is a relative term, though.  A brain and a set of triggers is still going to be costly.  As Tony said, you need to modify your drums as well.  Just sticking triggers on mesh heads is not going to produced the same results as properly mounted triggers.
"Some people say I ain't so super groovy.  Why don't I leave the music alone?"  Black Uhuru

Brucer1

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 09:36 AM »
You can make your own triggers if you want to and save some money also.
Go to http://www.electronicdrums.com
for all the info you ever wanted to know about DIY electronic drums.

ERIC I

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 10:25 AM »
I know someone who did this, and they weren't happy with the Alesis brain at all.  They traded it in for the entry level Roland brain and then used it for years when playing live.

People would often compliment him on his drum sound and then be incredulous when he told them everything but the snare and cymbals was electronic.  (These days, the better electronic snares are perfectly good for live work, too.)

He was playing straight ahead Rock music, so having the look of the acoustic kit was important.

Sound tech's loved it, because it made the kit so easy to work with.

He also had one electronic pad in the kit that he used for effects like hand claps.

"Cheap" is a relative term, though.  A brain and a set of triggers is still going to be costly.  As Tony said, you need to modify your drums as well.  Just sticking triggers on mesh heads is not going to produced the same results as properly mounted triggers.
Ya I know that this ss still going to be quite costly, but I was comparing it to some of the other figures I have been seeing in the thousands of dollars range.  Why didnt he like the Alesis brain?  What do the entry level Rolands offer that the Alesis doesn't?  Also to Tony, I was under the impression that the ddrum triggers came with their own shock mount "housing".  I dont know maybe I'm wrong.  thanks for the replies.

c. jude

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 11:04 AM »
The ddrum triggers come with metal covers that protect them should you mishit and hit one.  Roland has just introduced some at NAMM too and there are other brands as well.  

This can be done, and if you are after quiet, mesh heads are the way to go.  The triggers will work fine if you know what you want and set it up for that.  The ddrum4 (SE) module even has a setting for their triggers with mesh heads, but you can tweak the same with a Roland module or similar.

If you are looking for best value for money, I recommend the following, either an entry level kit like a Roland V-club or Hart entry level mesh kit... OR, if you want to convert, go with a Roland TD-6 module for lower price, fewer features but good sounds and functionality for the price, Hart heads (I prefer the 2/ply for more realistic feel) I do not recommend most of the other 1 ply mesh heads (Hart's and Roland's are the best, Hart's being by far the best), and get triggers of your choice (do a little research).  

If you want to see some set ups like that or ask some folks who have done it, check out my site for some links to sites where you can talk to folks that have already plowed this ground.

guerrillawar

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 11:30 AM »
sounds like alot of work.  

Tex_Hedron

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2003, 01:18 PM »
I have been doing some experimenting with electronic drum triggers. I have been able to modify some Remo pads with some success. I just ordered a inexpensive picillo snare and a mesh head, and plan on building an internal triggering mechanism for it. I will keep everyone posted on my project.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram