• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Sound Focus Rings---What's the point?

Started by Matthew Warwick, December 22, 2013, 07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Warwick

Although I'm very happy with my Tama Rockstar Custom, I always think in the future sometime I'd like to upgrade to one of Tama's higher end lines. Tama just came out with their new line, the STAR series, and you can get them in Maple or Bubinga. They're 5-ply shells, but here's the thing: they've got sound focus rings.

I've heard clips of these drums both in Maple and Bubinga and I LOVE the sound of them. I'd really like to check them out in person as well and if I like them there that might be an option for a future upgrade. I'm just wondering about those sound focus rings, though. What's the point of them? I know 5 ply is somewhat thin for shells, so they might be there to support the shell and head tension, but they're called "sound focus" rings. What exactly do they do?

Chip Donaho

On some drums I have Aquarian heads with focus rings built into the head. Plus I have separate rings to lay on the head. Sometimes I use both the built in rings plus other rings. It just depends on the sound I'm going for. More open ring or a fat sound. The choice is yours. What are you after, it's up to you to decide.   ;)

Matthew Warwick

^So wait...which has the fatter sound? Shells with rings or without? I'm guessing with, but that's kind of a shot in the dark, lol.

I LOVE a fat sound on toms and kick (and gong drum, one of which I'd really like to get someday...those things sound killer!). With snare I like more of a medium to medium-high pop.

Chip Donaho

I've even experimented with various width of the rings. Each has it's own sound. Every little change you make on a head will affect the final sound. When you're discussing sound with each musician you'll find a whole new world.  8)

JeepnDrummer

I think Chip is confused and thought you meant sound dampening/muffling rings, i.e., dead ringers, Remo RingO, etc. 

As for drum shell reinforcement rings (aka re-rings), I understand these were necessary years ago because the shells made back then were extra thin and needed the support to stay in round and/or enhance the integrity of the bearing edge and/or provide strength to accommodate high head tension (some debate about this).  With today's better manufacturing techniques and improved glues, re-rings probably aren't necessary.  As for the sound, the debate rages on.  Some claim it raises the pitch while others don't agree.  I would imagine that re-rings allows for a thinner shell, which is said to provide more resonance and, perhaps, a lower pitch all else being the same.  So in this sense, it may not be the rings changing the sound.  The shell material, bearing edge, and type of drum head used are big factors in how the shells will sound.

I'd be weary of using any "clip" as a point of reference.  As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.  In other words, listen and choose what sounds best to your ears, whether the drums have reinforcement rings or not.

Chip Donaho

Quote from: JeepnDrummer on December 25, 2013, 01:00 PM
I think Chip is confused and thought you meant sound dampening/muffling rings, i.e., dead ringers, Remo RingO, etc. 
Yes, that's exactly what I thought. I do have some drums with rings built into the shell.
It all contributes to the final sound of the drum.

Matthew Warwick

Yes, I was indeed talking about the shell reinforcement rings. I will say I like the sound of DW drums and those have reinforcement rings, so I guess I shouldn't be scared.

And I will definitely find a Tama STAR Bubinga set in a store and try playing with tuning and stuff before I put this kit on my list of future upgrade possibilities. Heck, I'm still trying to find a Pearl Free Floating Maple 14x6.5 in a store since I need to hear one in person before I upgrade.

I have already tried out a couple of drums from a Tama Starclassic Bubinga in a store already and I loved them overall. The bass drum still sounded fine even with the standard heads (no muffling inside, VERY lightly dampened heads), and I tuned one of the toms up in seconds, something that's hard for me to do. I'd still like to try out the STAR ones though to see how the thin shells sound. Call me picky, but the only finish I like is the "Natural Bubinga" one, and that's from the Omni-tune drums by Tama. I can't stand how the tuning system looks on those, but I love that finish. I guess no matter what I settle on I'd have to do a custom order on the finish. I'd probably just start with a bass drum and two toms since that's probably already gonna be expensive. I can add on that gong drum later, lol. ;D

I was checking out DW drums since they have lots of natural wood finishes. They look nice but I just prefer the look of Tama's lugs to DW's.

Nathan Cartier

I remember watching a video of a DW clinic where Billy Ward was explaining how different woods and construction affected the tone of the drum.  I am certain he covered how reinforcement rings inside the shell focus the sound, but I can't find the video, perhaps it was removed from youtube.

Maybe someone else has a link?

edit:  I really can't find the video.  Shame, it was a great clinic with a LOT of good information. 

If I remember correctly, reinforcement rings in the shell serve 2 purposes.  They strengthen a thin shell, helping to keep it round.  They also decrease the length of time the shell will resonate and remove a few overtones, "focusing" the sound of the drum. 

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Nathan Cartier on December 26, 2013, 04:44 PM
I remember watching a video of a DW clinic where Billy Ward was explaining how different woods and construction affected the tone of the drum.  I am certain he covered how reinforcement rings inside the shell focus the sound, but I can't find the video, perhaps it was removed from youtube.

Maybe someone else has a link?

edit:  I really can't find the video.  Shame, it was a great clinic with a LOT of good information. 

If I remember correctly, reinforcement rings in the shell serve 2 purposes.  They strengthen a thin shell, helping to keep it round.  They also decrease the length of time the shell will resonate and remove a few overtones, "focusing" the sound of the drum.

The Billy Ward clinic video was recorded by yours truly, and is available as a Premium Resource at the Drummer Cafe.

https://www.drummercafe.com/premium-resources/video-footage/billy-ward-2006-clinic.html

Nathan Cartier

Quote from: Bart Elliott on December 26, 2013, 05:24 PM
The Billy Ward clinic video was recorded by yours truly, and is available as a Premium Resource at the Drummer Cafe.

https://www.drummercafe.com/premium-resources/video-footage/billy-ward-2006-clinic.html

Oh that's right!  I just re-upped on my subscription so I could watch this again.  I can't ever get enough Billy. 

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Nathan Cartier on December 26, 2013, 05:51 PM
Oh that's right!  I just re-upped on my subscription so I could watch this again.  I can't ever get enough Billy.

Thanks Nathan! By the way, I'm going to be upgrading the video a bit, if you want to give me a week or so. I want to improve the quality of the video with a large video file, as well as HD streaming. I've been slowly migrating all of the Drummer Cafe resource videos to this new format.