Topic: Joe Vitale on At The Station  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Rusty Beckett

• Cafe VIP
Joe Vitale on At The Station
« on: March 24, 2014, 11:25 AM »
I know this album was released in '78 but it has only recently come to my attention.  On this tune "At The Station" Joe Vitale plays a fantastic part.  But, I have to wonder if it's layered.  The speed seems almost impossible.  Any ideas or thoughts?

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZdyXWhZnZg#ws
Proud player of Vintage Rogers Drums

Online Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Re: Joe Vitale on At The Station
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:47 PM »
The tempo is brisk for sure ... but no layering of the drum parts.

I'm not sure what you are hearing that led you to think it might be layered, so I can't really address any specifics. One example that may lead someone to think it was layered is the sixteenth-notes on the HiHat along with the fills. Evidence that this is not layered is the fact that the HiHat drops out for the around the kit drum fills, but then comes back again.

The half-time feel with the Snare on Beat 3 is played with two hands on the HiHat. Although there are sixteenth-notes going on with the HiHat, the open HiHat on Beat Two provides the time for one right hand to more to the Snare to play the backbeat.

Thanks for sharing!

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram