• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The incredible shrinking ride cymbal

Started by Mister Acrolite, July 21, 2014, 09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Acrolite

I've recently been looking at picking up another ride for live work, and I was surprised by the sizes that seem most popular these days.

For decades, I've usually had a 22 as my main ride, but I'm finding very few 22's available among current product lines - at least with Sabian. The vast majority seem to be 20's and 21's. I guess this is a new trend, but I have to admit, it snuck up on me. And with that being said, I'm finding some great-sounding 20's and 21's, so I'm sure I'll find something I like. The current top contender is the AAX 20" Stadium Ride, but I'm not ready to commit yet. :)

How about you? What size(s) do you use most frequently as your primary ride?

Bart Elliott

The Sabian AAX 20-inch Stadium Ride is nice. I used to have one but gave it to my brother-in-law as a gift for Christmas years ago ... when I was broke and had no money for gift.  :)

Have you played any of the new Sabian AAX Omni cymbals? They may be too "washy" for you, Keith, but there's some cool new sounds coming from Sabian these days.

Jon E

I have a Zildjian Med ride 20" that I have had for 40 years.  Good all purpose cymbal. My other is a 21" Zildjian Rock ride.  Love it too.  I never cared for the 22".  Just my ears I suppose.  YMMV.

donelk

I like my 21" sabian raw bell dry ride. Comes in a variety of tastes.

Tim van de Ven

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on July 21, 2014, 09:26 PM
I've recently been looking at picking up another ride for live work, and I was surprised by the sizes that seem most popular these days.

For decades, I've usually had a 22 as my main ride, but I'm finding very few 22's available among current product lines - at least with Sabian. The vast majority seem to be 20's and 21's. I guess this is a new trend, but I have to admit, it snuck up on me. And with that being said, I'm finding some great-sounding 20's and 21's, so I'm sure I'll find something I like. The current top contender is the AAX 20" Stadium Ride, but I'm not ready to commit yet. :)

How about you? What size(s) do you use most frequently as your primary ride?

I'm a fan of 24" and 22" Rides (24" Giant Beat, 22" DE MK II, 22" SCDR) however one 20" ride knocked me over a my music shop and it's been appearing on my kit for man of my gigs and studio sessions:

BEHOLD - the PAISTE BLUEBIRD "Sweet Ride"
In its natural environment: the studio (Fast Forward Studios in Montreal)

Yes, it is on my left (I play left-hand lead) and the cymbal to the right is a 22" Paiste Traditional Swish....glorious. And a set of classic 14" 2002 SE hats to round it out.

The Bluebird has a wonderful ride sound, a lively and integrated bell, and crashes like a dream (semi-dark and sweet). It's absolutely gorgeous.

I'm pretty much over G.A.S., but this one couldn't remain in the store; it had to come home with me; it's been a long time since I've had a cymbal come my way that sounds this good.

Bob Dias

For the past 10 years I have settled on 2 main rides...a 21" Heavy Mehmet turk and a 21" medium Bosphorus New Orleans. I always play both at all our gigs (Ugly Rumor, classic rock covers).  22's were always a bit too woobly or gongy and 20" just never seemed to fill the sonic space right (seemed a little thin). Bob.

metalshredder

It's been all about the 20" for at least the last ~17 years. 

I'd learned to play in school (it does seem like their ride was bigger) but got my own kit around 1999, and while they did have other sizes, the 20" was the predominant size ride by that time.