• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Asking on techniques to teach

Started by Tim Andrew, December 02, 2014, 05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Andrew

I'm retiring as a firefighter, looking to teach. I took lessons for 13 years, and have been in many bands, including my own wedding night club band for 16 years. Was in the musicians union at 15.

Looking for advice on teaching, as far as:
1. do you teach matched grip and or conventional?
2. do you teach all 26, and the Swiss rudiments?
As we know, conventional was big incase you were going to march, the snare was tilted. Do you believe in metal sticks to practice on rubber pads for strength. Here's what my teacher use to do/tell us.

We had many books to read, Ted Red, Sam Ulano, Joel Rothman, etc.
We would only play conventional grip.
He would teach all the rudiments.
He recommended, at home....practice with heavy metal sticks for half hour on pad, reading, rudiments, then play half hour on drums, either to music, charts, reading. Any advice, please respond. Tim Andrew, Naugatuck, Ct.

Bart Elliott

Lot's of good questions; too much to respond to in just one post.

I would encourage you to take some time, search the archives here on the Drummer Cafe forum, and read up on the discussions from the topics you've mentioned. Example: Matched Grip versus Traditional Grip and which to teach ... and why.

I've written numerous free articles and lessons on many of these topics as well; what books to use, methods of teaching, rudiments, how to practice, etc. Do some digging and reading at the Drummer Cafe, starting here: www.drummercafe.com/education/

I also recommend that you visit Bill Bachman's website,  http://www.drumworkout.com]DrumWorkout.com . Bill, who is a member here at the Drummer Cafe, has a wealth of knowledge about rudiment drumming and hand technique. The Percussive Arts Society increased the "standard" rudiments to 40 several decades ago, and not the list is even larger. Bill can help you understand and learn what rudiments are relevant today for high school, college, and drum corps.

Lastly, 99% of drum/percussion instructors teach Matched Grip to beginners. While there is still validity with Traditional Grip (you called it "conventional grip"), Matched is easier to learn and translates to the other percussion instruments much easier. We no longer need Traditional grip because of equipment restrictions, like not being able to play the snare drum in a flat, horizontal position, but there are some unique techniques that one can employ with Traditional grip that Matched grip can't do.

Tim Andrew

Thanks Bart...I guess the big one was the matched grip, which you answered and makes sense. I practice with marching sticks myself on a weight bench, sitting there, there's no bounce, you work harder.
I guess the, 'teaching reading & rudiments' might have been a stupid question, ...I feel it IS important. I remember my teacher instructing me on the drum set, to learn: Sambas, cha chas', Latin, etc., and I didn't care for it... ...but you can get creative with these beats performing in a rock band, or any type music. Beauford Carter is a great example of this. Thanks, great site- Tim Andrew

William Daley

I am no drummer and at 70 years of age it's kind of late to start LOL.
I do however have a grand daughter who is 15 and very determined to become a drummer.She uses the heaviest wood set of sticks she could find for rudiments then when she is playing she uses a fairly light set.She practices rudiments Monday Wednesday and Friday and just plays and has fun the nights in between.She has no teacher and has worked her schedule out herself.I do know her hand speed has improved greatly doing what she is.
Her uncle who has played the A circuit in Canada for over 40 years said he will not teach her as she knows the basics and won't develop her own style if he does.Feels it would only turn her into a clone.He has though brought his kit over and set up beside her and helped her by showing her some stuff When ever she has gone with me to watch him play he always gets her up to do a few numbers and stuff to help her grow confidence as well.