Topic: notation for brushes  (Read 1333 times)

Offline John Kerr

• Cafe VIP
    • johnkerr.net
notation for brushes
« on: March 20, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Other than a slew of quarter notes, it occurs to me that I have never really seen specific notation for jazz brushwork, for a groove in particular.  Is there any particular way that anyone notates the sweeps and the taps in the same measure?  I've used ties for sweeps but that becomes impractical when overlaying rhythmic notation for the other hand, in which case I suppose you might just notate the taps and leave the sweeps as an implied.

And have I just answered my own question?

Wow, I should do this more often...

John Kerr
Drum Set Performance/Instruction
www.johnkerr.net

Online Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Re: notation for brushes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:11 AM »
I, like you, have notated the sweeps with ties in the past.

What I do now is use the legato mark over the note. This allows the rhythmic notation to remain intact and accurate, while allowing the performer to know (assuming they have already been told to use brushes) that the legato mark (horizontal line above the note) is for sweeps or stirring.

What I like about this approach is that there is no need for a legend or nomenclature key. Legato means giving the note it's full, long value; smooth and connected. You could use any symbol you want to achieve the end result, but again, you'd need to have a key to clue the perform what it all means.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram