• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Tips on practicing?

Started by Kristi Nguyen, June 26, 2016, 11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristi Nguyen

Hello, I play in marching band and jazz band. I enjoy drumming, but find it hard to practice. Once I start practicing, I enjoy playing, but it's always that first step that is super hard for me. Any tips on motivation to practice?

Chip Donaho

Practice is the only way to learn and advance your playing. Just go play for the love of it. It doesn't matter to anyone but you. No one can do it for you. I warm up by just playing.  ;)

Bart Elliott

Hi Kristi,

First, welcome to the Drummer Cafe ... and second ... great question!

I personally don't agree with Chip's suggestion because without purpose and vision all we do is just jam on the instrument. Jamming is good, but if we want to grow as musicians and actually get better at something, we need to do more than just sit down and play everyday.

It is important to first set goals to understand what it is we want/need to practice and how we will go about achieving those wants/needs, as well as adapt a method of practicing that works for each of us. We are each unique individuals, so it is not one method or process fits all.

I go into great detail about all of this in two articles I've written here at Drummer Cafe (see links below).

The Art of Effective Practice

Desperately Seeking Motivation - 16 Steps for Inspiration

Hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any follow up questions after you read the two articles.

Bart

Michael Beechey

my teacher is Mike Johnston ... he uses the following formula (if I recall) for a daily practice session of for example 1 hr  you need to do all the sections to make the various elements work

1  5 mins non creative - improving on existing skills..ie getting rudiments faster and cleaner..serves as warmup

2  10 mins creative - challenge yourself to create something you have never done before...ex around a pattern...say a foot ostinato ..play melodic parts on top...ex building a solo..many of us avoid this section because we think we're not creative..on the other hand making your whole session a noodling session doesn't promote any other growth

3  30 mins main lesson - working on a major issue you have or a major new pattern skill you are working to internalize, new rudiment  ie...half time shuffle..for rudiment or groove once you have internalized it, it goes on the list for #1 section

4  15 mins play along to random tracks...YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED BEFORE...using Pandora or similar randomizer...you end up with songs that you might like or hate, but it forces you to LISTEN and play with all your heart as if you were auditioning for that particular gig..also promotes ability to play ANY style well enough to get a gig..even if you never want to do that, its the personal growth of developing a new skill that is the important part....most of us avoid playing music we don't like

Bart Elliott

Thanks for sharing Michael.  :)

Anthony Sullivan

Great advise Michael! I definitely think having some kind of structure to your practice routine helps, even if it's only a 20 minute routine. I find that if I don't figure out what it is I want to work on then my practice sessions don't tend to last very long.

Also, watching lessons or drum videos on Youtube before heading to the practice room is always a good motivator. However, I find that the thing that keeps me motivated the most is by seeing progress in my playing - if I take a break for a while I always feel a little frustrated when I have to back-track.

I'd say get inspired, make a plan and don't stop practicing :)

Chip Donaho

QuoteI personally don't agree with Chip's suggestion because without purpose and vision all we do is just jam on the instrument. Jamming is good, but if we want to grow as musicians and actually get better at something, we need to do more than just sit down and play everyday.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. As you can tell, it's been a while since I was able to devote myself to practice on a regular basis. In the last month I've lost my Mother and one of my best friends to cancer.
Now it's time for me to get back to playing again.  :-[

Bob Dias

Practice...Hmmm. Something I rarely do anymore. Life is just in the way. Career, family, other interests. But I do play regularly in a classic rock cover band. While I may on rare occasion put on the headphones and just play, Usually, if I am in the chair, it means that I have a very specific part to learn. SO, I would say to pick your spots. Focus on a task. Focus on A sticking pattern, A groove, A signature fill or beat. And play it until your family thinks that it is the only thing you know. Since I have no regular practice sessions, my learning becomes very targeted. FWIW...Bob