Topic: shell depth  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Joe Binns

• Copper Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
shell depth
« on: September 29, 2016, 02:08 PM »
Do toms of different depths have essentially the same range or do deeper toms allow for deeper tones? 

Offline Anthony Sullivan

• Copper Member
Re: shell depth
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:53 AM »
Hi Joe,

I'm sure you've found your answer by now, but just wanted to weigh in as this was something I debate when buying a Tama Hyperdrive kit... I found that the depth effects the length of the note more than the pitch. I can get the toms sounding quite low, but still retaining a really punchy sound.

Hope that helps!

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:31 PM »
I have 4 different drum sets. Each has it's own sound. My Mapex sets sound completely different than my DW set. When choosing my drums for different bands I have to be very carefull which set I bring to the gig. For instance, if they play a lot of old rock I bring my old Slingerland set. But if I'm going to be recording I'll bring my DW set. But if I want a deep sound I'll choose my Cherrywood Mapex set. I also have various snares to chose from. I'm very choosy which snares I bring to a gig. So it pays to know the sound you're after.  ;)
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

Offline Bob Dias

• Cafe VIP
  • mmmmm...staves
    • Ugly Rumor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 11:29 AM »
So many variables, but essentially what Anthony said. B.
"It's O.K. if you only know three chords, but for God's sake, play'em in the right order" (H. Hill)

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Yes, depth of shell does not directly affect the pitch ... something one of our members found out after designing a prototype drum that could change it's shell depth.

I've shared this in other discussions, but the depth of a shell offers the POTENTIAL for lower pitches via tuning. The important word is potential. It won't make the drum sound deeper, but it will allow you to get lower/deeper sounds out of the drum.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!