• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

shell depth

Started by Joe Binns, September 29, 2016, 02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Binns

Do toms of different depths have essentially the same range or do deeper toms allow for deeper tones? 

Anthony Sullivan

Hi Joe,

I'm sure you've found your answer by now, but just wanted to weigh in as this was something I debate when buying a Tama Hyperdrive kit... I found that the depth effects the length of the note more than the pitch. I can get the toms sounding quite low, but still retaining a really punchy sound.

Hope that helps!

Chip Donaho

I have 4 different drum sets. Each has it's own sound. My Mapex sets sound completely different than my DW set. When choosing my drums for different bands I have to be very carefull which set I bring to the gig. For instance, if they play a lot of old rock I bring my old Slingerland set. But if I'm going to be recording I'll bring my DW set. But if I want a deep sound I'll choose my Cherrywood Mapex set. I also have various snares to chose from. I'm very choosy which snares I bring to a gig. So it pays to know the sound you're after.  ;)

Bob Dias

So many variables, but essentially what Anthony said. B.

Bart Elliott

Yes, depth of shell does not directly affect the pitch ... something one of our members found out after designing a prototype drum that could change it's shell depth.

I've shared this in other discussions, but the depth of a shell offers the POTENTIAL for lower pitches via tuning. The important word is potential. It won't make the drum sound deeper, but it will allow you to get lower/deeper sounds out of the drum.