• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

10 minute death metal song

Started by beyondbetrayal, January 08, 2018, 09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beyondbetrayal

Here is one of my band Dissolution's new songs that is 10 minutes long. It is an endurance test to play this with no breaks. I know death metal is not everyone's cup of tea but it sure is fun to play.  It really picks up around the 2:45 point in tempo.

The audio is not CD quality, there are zero edits, and there are plenty of mistakes. I will be spending the next month ironing out the time changes, changing a few parts up and getting ready to record 7 brand new songs. I also chopped half my head off for some of the video when I bumped the camera, so lots of fails going on in this video haha. I might make another song soon to redeem this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBre0S0TsTU

I welcome constructive criticism.

Brett Sheaffer

Wow, very impressive. I love how you switch between the parts so effortlessly. I could tell when you knew you hadn't quite nailed a couple of the transitions, but by the time I would have gotten to those parts, I would have screwed it up so much I would have thrown my sticks!  ;D

I'm WAY below you're level of ability (I'm not capable in this genre), so take this suggestion with a grain of salt.  The only thing I would suggest -- and I know that band composition drives what ultimately gets played and what gets thrown out -- is that during the few parts where you do the really simple, slower snare/tom fills, consider keeping a simple, slow bass drum beat going to keep the bottom end full.  As I was listening, it seemed like those sections were too empty in the bottom (to me) because the rest of the song is so awesomely kick-drum oriented.

beyondbetrayal

Thanks for the comment.

This song itself is a few years old now.I finished tracking it about 6 months ago with the rest of the CD.

My playing has changed drastically in the last 2 years with regards to my timing, transitions and especially fills.. I stopped doing straight 16th or 32nd notes as they are  kindof tasteless and boring.  I have been working on my rudiments like crazy which in turn has made my fills way better. As as practicing on a 4 piece kit most of the time. It really takes out that safety tom and makes you be much more creative.

When I play slow, my drumming is MUCH better haha. something about 220-240 BPM is that the tempo is going so fast it's hard to be creative and I default to crappy straight forward safety fills.

I appreciate the honest criticism.   Also, Anyone can play this stuff. Technically it isn't super hard. you just need to be prepared to push yourself, and put in LOTS of time on the pad and kit working on straight forward endurance stuff.    To be 100% honest I am happy our next album is slowing down. I am more into groove and having some texture and dynamics in my playing than blazing all the time now. It's fun in small doses, but this song is a beast. haha