Topic: Blastbeats from 180 - 260 BPM  (Read 2414 times)

Offline beyondbetrayal

• Copper Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
Blastbeats from 180 - 260 BPM
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Here is how blast beats look from 180BPM to 260BPM,. or 257 if you want to get technical. (I messed up the metronome)

I made this in response to the people fighting in the Facebook drum forums about blasting at 300 BPM. 260 is even insane, 300 is possible by a few guys which I do see, but when referring to speed it's 16th notes, and both hands if you ask me. I think my personal limit is 230/240 to keep it clean and play for a long period. Making this video I also realized 180 and 190 were difficult speeds to blast at as I never play in that range.I play mostly between 210 and 240 so 250-260 is really pushing it for me and kind of sloppy.

The bass drum is triggered as I am using heel toe and the toms have a terrible EQ on them as this was just a quick example.

The key is staying relaxed to play fast and for a long time. I am not relaxed at all above 240 so I can only do it for a short period of time.

Offline Eric LeClair

• Copper Member
  • Live Life Be Happy
Re: Blastbeats from 180 - 260 BPM
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Wow that was actually pretty awesome. I can't believe ppl can actually do this around the 300 mark. That is just insane.

Offline Brett Sheaffer

• Cafe VIP
  • Never stop learning.
    • Freedom Brass Band of Northeast Ohio
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:51 AM »
Nice job! I've not worked on my hands or feet long enough to get that kind of speed.  Love how effortless your heel-toe doubles are.  Maybe I need a different double pedal.  ::)
Natural ability will only take you so far. There is no substitute for playing, playing, playing.

Offline beyondbetrayal

• Copper Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 06:14 PM »
The settings make a huge difference. I actualy use a pretty tight batter head for rebound and you pretty much need long board direct drive pedals, as well as triggers to make this work.

The Axis AL-2's are my favorite and the pearl demon drives worked pretty good. I haven't tested any others.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!