• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Styles & Genres

Started by Bart Elliott, December 14, 2001, 05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misenko

I was always crap at maths...only subject I ever failed.... ;)

Misenko.

felix

Lightening fast time changes all over the place.  It is BIZARE.  I love it, I have to admit-probably because it is new to me.

drumngi

I agree that diversity is the key to success for many of us. But, I have found that I need to focus on some pretty specific areas from time to time. I don't get many opportunities to play serious latin music. But trad jazz, funk, fusion, pop, blues, big band, and some alternative keeps me pretty busy. So, I just don't get the chance to work out all the new latin stuff I'd like to. That's what I like about our craft. There's just sooooo much. And your niche can change on a dime. One day rock, the next day bossa... The Army is a good teacher for that kind of chameleon-like diversity.

felix

http://www.teabagmetal.com/HomePage.htm

here it is...unfortunately they route you to MP3.com

the first song has a long slow intro that I wasn't into.  

maybe you will dig the vibe

Carn

Quote from: felix on April 29, 2002, 08:12 AMI have a "new" style to throw in.

Affectionately called "math metal"...I highly recommend checking it out kids.  My buddy played some for me this weekend.  I found it even more impressive than "Liquid Tension Experiment" -a lot more.

I'll post the link when I find it.

L.T.E..didnt bozzio play drums on that one? with the keyboard dude from dream theater?

----edit----
its portnoy.......im sure that there is a cd with bozzio and ruddess......forgot the name

felix

yeah, it was Portnoy and it leaves me kinda cold

drumngi

There was a CD called Polytown with Bozzio, but I forget who else was on it.

mateus

Quote from: rlhubley on December 14, 2001, 10:42 AMIt is very important to me.  My goal as a drummer is to be a working drummer, earning 50% to 100% of my income from music.

Agree 70%  ;)

Quote from: rlhubley on December 14, 2001, 10:42 AMI love many different styles of music, and really enjoy playing the different styles.  I also feel like this is a good way to increase my drumming vocabulary (I KNEW THIS WORD EXISTS!!!  ;D ).  I can come up with hybrid styles, interesting feels, and really make solos more interesting.

So do I, but with some exceptions... some kind of music that I totally dislike and don't want to hear of play... Like rap, hip-hop, country, the brazillian funk and "pagode"...

I also think that working with different musicians and practice sometimes those styles is very important for developing them, as you also develops timing, reading, writing, etc...

Jazzman

My opinion.......the more ya know the better you'll be in the long run.  Be diverse....the only way to fly.  I mix and match all of the time.

Have you ever changed the style of music in the middle with a different beat??  It can change the whole meaning, sounds cool, and if the group doesn't pay attention they might get screwed up real bad......on the other hand they may play on it too if they are as sharp as you.

Jazz is cool!!!!!!!!!

Jazzman 8)

nullify_drummer

old quote:
I could give countless examples of world-famous drummers who are known as jazz guys (for example), but you wouldn't want to hire them for a metal project, or funk.

i'll bet if you went and asked a metal drummer if he's played jazz to open his horizons make him self a better drummer for that "just in case, reason", he'll say, yeah. or if your asked a jazz drummer if he's ever played metal to open his horizons to make him self a better drummer for that "just in case, reason", he'll say, yeah too.

I personally like to play 60's and 70's classic rock, just cause it kicks @$$, and i can get into the "zone" while i play it, but i play country, grunge, punk, metal, heavy rock, jazz, etc... i could name all day, but i do it to open my horizon on the music world and so if i get the big chance to play something on the pro or semi pro level i can say hey i'll come through for ya and i'll be there.

the music world for the most part isn't about what you wanna play until you can get big and become pro. but the road to get there you, and your band has to play what the crowd wants. if we have a gig set up during our mid show break i go to the crowd take some requests and thats how we do our second and third set.

Jazzman

It's always great to have the audience provide requests if the band can do them well.

I remember times that we had only enough songs for a couple of hours and we would start stating requests of the songs that we just did over the mic........I was the dumb drummer, I didn't know if the requests were true or this was made up by the leader of the band I was in. LOL

Jazzman 8)