• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Where can I buy sticks in bulk?

Started by _andygumm_, January 28, 2003, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_andygumm_

I'm looking for places on the net to buy sticks in bulk for cheap.  I break mine all the time and figured if I could find somehwere who sold them in bricks or soemthing I'd be better off in the long run.  I use either Vater Universal, Promark or Vic Firth 5bs (i like the feel of vic forth but i break them in about 2-3 songs) and zildjian super 5bs.  if anyone knows please let me know.  also any off name brands that are made by the bigger names that can be boguth for cheap?  i saw some on eBay and they said they were made by "the same company who produces expensive sticks" was wondering if he was full of shite or telling the truth.  thanks ahead of time.

Mark Schlipper

guitar center brand are vater seconds.  i bought a pack of 6 pair for about $14.  other than that, you should be able to buy in bundles of 12 pair or so at any retailer.

then theres the aquarian graphite stick option as well as aheads aluminum.

then of course you may want to investigate why you break so many sticks in the first place.

Tkitna

I hear alot of people breaking vic firth 5b's on several different forums. I'm not really a heavy hitter so much but there are times and I dont break mine. All sticks break eventually and I realize that but i've had decent luck with the vic's. As for the original question, this is the best I could find for cheap (i've never used them but if your breaking them constantly it may be an option).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030128225644063107135055494721/search/g=perc/detail/base_id/58297

Joe

If you don't mind a little warpage in your sticks, then bulk is your kind of thing.  I personally feel the need to all but make out with my sticks before buying them by rolling them, tapping them, etc.  I have had two experiences with "1st" quality bulk sticks, and for every four pairs, one pair was warped.  Caveat Emptor.  I might just go start a thread about warpage....

BloodMagician

Musician's Friend has a package deal. 10 pairs of promo sticks for 10 bucks. While certainly not the most flashy sticks in the world (some of mine are not sanded properly and are miscolored) They are certainly worth a dollar a pair. I'd  check it out.

_andygumm_

thanks guys!  i hit hard, all drummers i know break vic firth 5bs really easy too, some dude told me why they break easily but i forgot what he said, but there is a reason.  i found 10 new pair of promark natural hickory 5b's for $34.00 so im happy  ;D

Kevin Gaines

Tex_Hedron

Even though one of the first things my first drum instructor ever told me was to not buy sticks without checking them out first, I bought some 5A "LA Specials" (made by Pro-Mark) on Ebay for very little. I expected to get a box of 'bannanas', but I was very happy with them.

I think overall 'stick quality' has improved. I remember years ago, you would sometimes have to go through piles of sticks before finding a decent pair. Luckily, one music store near me had 'open stock' sticks, and you could go through them, most stores just had pairs in plastic bags, and you weren't allowed to open them. Of course, maybe it's just that the music stores I went to were especially crappy!

random_jedi

Quote from: tkitna on January 29, 2003, 12:01 AM
I hear alot of people breaking vic firth 5b's on several different forums. I'm not really a heavy hitter so much but there are times and I dont break mine. All sticks break eventually and I realize that but i've had decent luck with the vic's. As for the original question, this is the best I could find for cheap (i've never used them but if your breaking them constantly it may be an option).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030128225644063107135055494721/search/g=perc/detail/base_id/58297

What size are those sticks?

guerrillawar

well i got a 20 pack and it'll last me years. but that was from mars and well... it's a shame

Tkitna

What size are those sticks?

I just looked again and I have no idea. Good question. I wouldnt buy them now.

BloodMagician

There's a similar thread in another board about sticks. I've bought a bulk pack of cheap wood sticks, but I'm going to wood alternatives. I myself am using the Easton Ahead 5B drumsticks, which are made from aluminum and have replaceable parts. They're WAY tougher then wood sticks, and replacing the parts is a hell of a lot cheaper then buying new sticks. They're 30 bucks, but they will last a lot more then wooden sticks. Other people (Mister Acrolite comes to mind) use graphite composite sticks. Check the thread called "How Dear do you hold your sticks?" thread, and subsequent links in that thread, as well as my review for Easton Ahead drumsticks, for more information.

nullify_drummer

man all u guys are using tree trunks, geeze. have u checked your setup like cymbal angle, drum angle and all that good stuff. i play diecently hard but not really hard, i like to use promark 7a oak (all in nylon tips) for shows and i get some hickory sticks that are 7a but dont have a name just a size, and they come in a 5 gallon bucket. the only thing with these is there is a bunch of warped sticks. they feel like power pros or vic firth, i'm not a fan of vic firth my self but its cool.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: Shane-O on January 31, 2003, 10:26 PM
man all u guys are using tree trunks, geeze.

hey now ... 7A's are as large a stick as ill use ... i hand carve necks into timbale sticks for my lighter ones ... dont lump me in with these animals  ;D

Joe

QuoteMan, all you guys are using tree trunks -- Geeze!

While I do have my fair share of "tree trunks", I use 5A's mostly, thank you very much!  ;)

BloodMagician

I'd hardly call 5B a tree trunk. I'd say it was middle of the road, if anything.

Full Collapse

I just buy Vater Universals constantly.  I just bought 4 pairs yesterday from Guitar Center.  Plus the night of their grand opening I got 11 pairs for 11 bucks.  Cheap but I use them as back up just in case I break all my Vaters and can't get to GC.  Its good to have as back up.

_andygumm_

Quote from: BloodMagician on February 01, 2003, 03:11 AM
I'd hardly call 5B a tree trunk. I'd say it was middle of the road, if anything.
same here.  2b are tree trunks!

and to full collapse, how much are their vater universals a pair?

tainteddrummer

thru musicians friend u can get a 10pack brick of zildjian power pro for $35

question..   wat size r the musicians friend promo sticks.. i use 5b

RelientKngOdrums

Quote from: _andygumm_ on January 28, 2003, 10:49 PM
I'm looking for places on the net to buy sticks in bulk for cheap.  I break mine all the time and figured if I could find somehwere who sold them in bricks or soemthing I'd be better off in the long run.  I use either Vater Universal, Promark or Vic Firth 5bs (i like the feel of vic forth but i break them in about 2-3 songs) and zildjian super 5bs.  if anyone knows please let me know.  also any off name brands that are made by the bigger names that can be boguth for cheap?  i saw some on eBay and they said they were made by "the same company who produces expensive sticks" was wondering if he was full of shite or telling the truth.  thanks ahead of time.

simply go to your local music shop, and ask a worker for a "box" of ur kind of sticks... usually a box is about 12 to 20 pairs of sticks... that's what i always do