• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Progressive Rock

Started by Bart Elliott, March 12, 2002, 09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAnimalG

True, very true.  Krupa and Bellson were right there with Buddy.  Why don't we just say it all started with Adam and Eve?  LOL!!

sidereal

Quote from: BAnimalG on April 05, 2002, 12:35 PM
I think if anyone were the "founder" of progressive rock, it would be none other than Buddy Rich.

Uh... IMHO, that's quite a stretch. Buddy had nothing to do with progressive rock. He definitely had influence on prog drummers, but you could hardly consider him one. I think basing prog on drums being brought to the forefront is missing the mark too. Fact is, with prog, everything was pushed to the front. Instruments that weren't previously considered lead instruments, like bass and drums, suddenly were lead instruments. Songs were long and had lots of notes, uncommon chords and progressions, long and involved solos, extended instrumental passages, odd times, tempo changes, otherworldly lyrical concepts. Prog rock is really a reflection of 20th Century Modern classical music composers than anything.

In that regard, it's far more likely that Stravinsky is the founder of progressive rock. I mean, c'mon, isn't Rite of Spring the first ever prog rock song? Give it a listen; it's got all the characteristics: ballsy composition, unpredictable rhythms, shifting "movements" that retain key motifs. Even the subject matter surrounding the composition is very proggy.

But really, I think King Crimson's Court of the Crimson King in 1969 is the first legitimate progressive rock album. Other bands who came before had hints of what was to come, but this is probably recognized as the first actual prog release. Funny that the drummer is none other than Michael Giles (who?!).

I think the first pure progressive rock drummer is Bill Bruford. He started out with Yes (The Yes Album) in 1971 and went on to play with all the heavyweights - King Crimson, Genesis and UK. To me, he is the progressive rock drummer.

BAnimalG

Well, I think it all comes down to this fine quote from my dad, "Opinions are like @$$holes, everybody's got one!"  LOL!!   ;D

clearseawater

I would have to agree......Buddy was progressive but not with ROCK. If you had a listern to "Man from planet jazz", you could hear what I mean.

Sidereal, the band Focus (Netherlands) was about "65" and ive always associated them with prog rock.
Come to think of it, Soft Machine may have been from that era to (I think ive mentioned this before).

I could be talking rubbish ( means garbage/trash to your American country men, you seem to know Brit speak) as im no PROG historian.........just my recollections mate ;) (I am 34 you know, those brain cells take a battering)

sidereal

Yeah, I hear ya Cleary... those were the kinds of bands that I place in the "...hints of what's to come..." category. Focus to me was always more of a fusion thing, and neither band really had much staying power. I think Crimson was the first out of the gates that stuck around and gained respect and worldwide recognition (not to mention the incestuous tendencies of its players within the "prog" scene - Bruford, Wetton, Fripp, Levin, etc.).

But what do I know? Just my opinion right. ;) I have thought about writing a book on the history of prog rock though. I find the genre fascinating because of the completely nerdy perception it engenders among non-fans. My (english) GF used to make total fun of Yes, since she couldn't listen without thinking of fairys and hippy musos wearing white "trainers". :D

Theo

Quote from: Bartman on March 14, 2002, 06:12 AM
QuoteWhat's this then?
[url]http://www.chrisblackwell.co.uk/MP3link/Martha  

Now that's Avantgarde!

Or possible something recorded just outside Dwarf's pup tent. LOL

Sounds like John Zorn

Theo

Quote from: felix on March 13, 2002, 02:13 PM
What is this?
ftp://http://www.greazyspoon.com/chokin1.mp3
Forgive what the MP3 encoding does to the sound.

Reminds me of the Dixie Dregs as much as anything else.

Felix Stein

QuoteReminds me of the Dixie Dregs as much as anything else.

Best compliment I've gotten...may you live long and prosper!