• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

What would sound best together

Started by gdawg, February 03, 2003, 07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdawg

What tom sizes would sound best together? 13/15/18 or 13/16/18. Not sure if 16 to 18 will be enough pitch difference. Maybe going from 15 to 18 will allow more tuning range. What do you think?

gdawg

Bart Elliott

If it were me, and that is the only choices I had ... I'd definitely go with the 13/15/18. Having a three inch size difference on all the toms is better than having three inch then two inch. And as you mentioned, having the two inch difference in the lower toms is not going to be as drastic as one might think; especially when only using three toms.

RHSquonk

Agreed....13/15/18 to really "hear" the diffrence.

-RH =)

Mister Acrolite

13/15/18 - those are pretty big drums. If you're absolutely sure that large toms like that will cover all your future musical needs, that will probably be a fine setup.

But if you're ever in situations where you might need to play lightly, at a low volume, you may find those pretty overbearing.

I know nothing of your playing situation, but have you also considered other options, like 12/14/16, 10/13/16, etc?

Mark Schlipper

what bart said ... with the exception of the implication that the difference between 13 and 15 is 3  ;D

but definitely, the 16-18 thing will kinda wonky.  having a 15 instead will give you a bit more headroom to tune the 18 up to a solid but still low pitch without conflicting with your other low tom.  

id consider 12,15,18 though ... as barts 3" apart comment suggested ... thatd be a nice wide range, and if you want/need, youd be able to easily rotate 'em into a little bop size kit for small gigs and maintain a nice seperation between 'em all.

gdawg

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on February 03, 2003, 09:58 AM
13/15/18 - those are pretty big drums. If you're absolutely sure that large toms like that will cover all your future musical needs, that will probably be a fine setup.

But if you're ever in situations where you might need to play lightly, at a low volume, you may find those pretty overbearing.

I know nothing of your playing situation, but have you also considered other options, like 12/14/16, 10/13/16, etc?

Thanks for your reply, Mr. Acrolite.  I already have a kit that is 22/12/14/16.  I am looking to add an additional kit for harder rock music such as 26/13/15/18 or something close to those specs.  

gdawg

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: gdawg on February 03, 2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks for your reply, Mr. Acrolite.  I already have a kit that is 22/12/14/16.  I am looking to add an additional kit for harder rock music such as 26/13/15/18 or something close to those specs.  

In that case, it sounds like a rockin' setup - enjoy!

Bart Elliott

Quote from: 563 on February 03, 2003, 10:00 AM
what bart said ... with the exception of the implication that the difference between 13 and 15 is 3.

Ah ... you caught me ... I can't add.

In that case, I would certainly try to go with 12/15/18.

I think a three inch size difference is great, although I would be more inclined to go 10/13/16.

Who's playing this kit ... Abe Laboriel Jr.?  ;)

Andrew

It may also depend on how you want to set up your kit -- 13/15/18 would seem like rack/rack/floor, while 13/16/18 would be more of a rack/floor/floor, like the kit  http://www.foofighters.com/archives/gear.php]Taylor Hawkins  is playing right now (which is basically 12/16/18 (r/f/f) with an extra 8" up over the hihat). That could be a pretty appropriate hard-rock setup.

Depending on how tall you are and how deep the drums are, the 15 may be a bit deep to fit over your bass drum -- at 5'8", it probably would be for me. You may want to think about leaving room for a 10" or 8" in future; I play with a pretty loud band, and sometimes the only drums that'll cut through are the snare and the smallest tom.